What's new

WARNING: HEAT SCANS now standard! (NOT another FLIR post!)

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can have diesel delivered without the road tax pretty cheap, much cheaper than 3rd tier power!

I don't believe that there is any cheaper alternate source of electricity than the utility companies, even at their ridiculous tiered rates. I just paid $4.13 a gallon for off-highway diesel (after sales tax was added). You have to remember that you also have the cost of the generator, maintenance costs, etc to factor in on top of the fuel. A 30kw generator at full load burns roughly 3 gallons of fuel - that works out to .41/kwh just for fuel.

L

LumpStatus

I don't believe that there is any ceaper alternate source of electricity than the utility companies, even at their ridiculous tiered rates. I just paid $4.13 a gallon for off-highway diesel (after sales tax was added). You have to remember that you also have the cost of the generator, maintenance costs, etc to factor in on top of the fuel. A 30kw generator at full load burns roughly 3 gallons of fuel - that works out to .41/kwh just for fuel.

On average you can get diesel gens at 30kw to run at about 2.5 gal. But the real point i would like to make is on 3rd tier ive paid as high as .65 per kwh depending on season and i wouldnt even need 30kw gen to run what i run. Ive crunched the numbers and diesel gen would save a ton of money monthly. But like you said...its just another thing to maintain. Its not money im short on but time.

Pig Pen

LOL, you do not have an individual tranformer for each house!

That is 3 phase up there reduced to single phase 120 and 220 through the network of transformers. Your illustration shows nothing more than a phase imbalance for the affected area. No individual home or building is indicated.

Do you need attention so badly as to stir up fear in others by fabricating a story like that?

Peace out!

PiffGuru

I got my power company to remove my smart meter pretty easily but I fear that the new meter is still a smart meter just without the wi-fi part.. I say this cause the smart meters are all digital and the ones I see have a good amount of blue on the casing.. the new one I got has no blue instead more of a grey color and is still digital..(i miss my old house.. had the old school revolving meter that was so old you could barely see in it..not to mention a big tree was in the way LOL)But I digress, not so sure it is helping me but better than doing nothing I guess..

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I've still got the old analog meter but they wifi'd it or did something to avoid manually reading the meter. Now they ride around in a truck and collect data from points along the route.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
we still have dudes ride around in trucks and check meters once a month. i would almost all of them aren't checked anymore and you are simply billed by estimated use

Latest posts

Latest posts