What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

War

igrowone

Veteran
It will be interesting to see how the calculus on how these conflicts affect the election. Reality is there are only 2 viable parties currently and neither one has a person worth supporting. This will create a younger generation that is further jaded.

While I am proud of younger folks taking a stand at University, I do wonder how naive, unrealistic, and impressionable some of these youth are? I think you can have a view on this and support the Palestinians without becoming radicalized in the process. I remember being involved myself in this kind of action when Bush Jr. re-invaded Iraq and looking back I was so worked up I thought the sky was falling, being a radical took over a lot of my identity.

I also think once you become aggressive, which some have, you lose the ability to influence others to see/respect your concerns. I guess I worry about them being manipulated by bad actors now, or moving forward. Unfortunately, this will affect their lives/careers and they could be putting themselves in harms way. While it is great for them to be calling attention to the unjust genocide I wonder if it would be more effective to write/publish scholarly articles and essays on this time in history, outlining the history that lead up to this? You know most will just see this as a group of angry privileged wealthy leftist who have been brainwashed by their radical teachers. The other disturbing reality is the radical Islamic world, such as Hamas, Iran and their factions, and/or your average Palestinians still want them dead along with the rest of America and the West.

I guess what I am trying to say is one can feel compassion for the innocent in this mess, without investing your full heart and identity to a cause that is complex. I worry that those youth believe they know everything, and are downplaying how dangerous and complicated this issue is, and are being manipulated in some ways. Its more like you cannot oversimplify a solution here, it takes a full on diplomatic effort, and being angry is not always the most effective. A calm and measured resistance opens up the issue for more to see, for more to question. This microcosm of resistance does cause a problem for the Zionists that want to control the optics, the protesters have to be very careful about how their movement appears when you zoom out and look at it, and to not be baited by bad actors to discredit their message.

Perhaps I am wrong to feel like they should temper their idealism, young folks are idealistic, but I know how it usually ends.

I still commend them for speaking up and I hope they have a clear, peaceful, and organized message as the world is watching.

If they really want to protest the university(s) use of their tuition dollars, they should drop out and stop paying them. A mass resignation.
(y)

Cannavore

Veteran
becoming 'radicalized' against your government who is committing genocide while lying and gaslighting you into thinking you're an anti semite and a radical is a good thing.

the status quo is radical. opposing it is not.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
AIj7.gif

moose eater

becoming 'radicalized' against your government who is committing genocide while lying and gaslighting you into thinking you're an anti semite and a radical is a good thing.

Absolutely!!

----------------------------

>>""Thoreau's world-famous essay, Civil Disobedience, grew out of a night in July 1846 when he was detained in Concord jail for nonpayment of the poll tax. Henry had refused to pay the tax because of its association with the institution of slavery. His maiden Aunt Maria, without asking Thoreau, paid his tax and secured his release. Henry, wanting to continue his protest, was furious. Ralph Waldo Emerson is reputed to have visited Thoreau in his jail cell. "Why are you here?" Emerson asked. "Why are you not here?" Thoreau replied.""<<

-----------------------------

APOLITICAL INTELLECTUALS

One day
the apolitical
intellectuals
of my country
will be interrogated
by the simplest
of our people.

They will be asked
what they did
when their nation died out
slowly,
like a sweet fire
small and alone.

No one will ask them
about their dress,
their long siestas
after lunch,
no one will want to know
about their sterile combats
with "the idea
of the nothing"
no one will care about
their higher financial learning.

They won't be questioned
on Greek mythology,
or regarding their self-disgust
when someone within them
begins to die
the coward's death.

They'll be asked nothing
about their absurd
justifications,
born in the shadow
of the total lie.

On that day
the simple men will come.

Those who had no place
in the books and poems
of the apolitical intellectuals,
but daily delivered
their bread and milk,
their tortillas and eggs,
those who drove their cars,
who cared for their dogs and gardens
and worked for them,
and they'll ask:

"What did you do when the poor
suffered, when tenderness
and life
burned out of them?"

Apolitical intellectuals
of my sweet country,
you will not be able to answer.

A vulture of silence
will eat your gut.

Your own misery
will pick at your soul.

And you will be mute in your shame.

--Otto Rene Castillo

Last edited:

moose eater

But some of us have become unpalatable for becoming 'radicalized', whatever-the-fuck that means?

In most circumstances involving concern for well-being, stopping a serial mass murderer promptly, effectively and coldly has typically been seen as 'the right thing to fucking do.' Period. Even if they control a massive lobbying effort, buy your politicians willy-nilly, and pretend to have some form of religious indignation or righteousness on their side. Maybe especially if those criteria are involved. Extra points for taking out a serial mass murderer who also fills the suit of 'False Prophet.'

EastCoastGambit

Sure, but obviously there is a spectrum of what is radical. If simply opposing this war and calling for a ceasefire is radical than I am also radical.

I think I would draw the line somewhere that students should not physically attack other students for their cultural views or views on this conflict, and that students should not blow up administrative buildings or something like that. Not am I suggesting this is happening, but I feel like it could if tensions continue to escalate.

The crux of my post is simply, if one is passionate about a cause and wants to effect change, there is a tact necessary to be persuasive and not lose sight of an organized way to convey your stance. When emotions run hot things can get convoluted. Additionally, it is important to view the situation realistically so that the expectations of what you can accomplish are not fantastical, or better yet, have a tiered approach of high level goals and smaller more achievable steps to build to those larger goals.

Lastly, I have become apathetic. While I want to better the world I have come to accept that many things are out of my control and if my happiness is hinged to a narrow lens of perception that wants one thing or another to change for the positive, I will probably be very unhappy. I think it is great to be informed, and to speak your mind true to your heart's desires, this takes courage and I commend it. But sacrificing all the other aspects of your life to live as a bleeding heart is in my opinion a bit of folly. I guess I feel as I aged my activism has taken on a different measure - a balance in all things kind of approach. My political views are only a part of my overall views and I have more patience and tolerance/acceptance of the flawed world than I used to. I also view humans/societies/nations as mostly highly flawed. But I have to get along in this world and while I attempt to counter all the injustice, it is not at the expense of my overall mental state. Call me selfish. We all need music/art/laughter/friends & lovers/entertainment/drugs etc. to distract us temporarily from the evils of the world.

Should I take a bigger stand? Possibly, but I'm kind of done trying to save the world or right the wrongs of mankind. I can do what I can in my own thinking and personal interactions, but I do believe personally, in a peaceful approach. I know at times peaceful approaches are not a viable option.

Back to the topic of the university students, it just feels to me that they could fall into a bit of tunnel vision of the cause. The cause is righteous and they have my support. Perhaps I am wrong, I am not there with them. Its more like I worry about "group think" regardless of what side you are on. And I also think adopting reactionary and hateful views closes down the opportunity for genuine discourse, which I believe is more effective at change.

igrowone

Veteran
Sure, but obviously there is a spectrum of what is radical. If simply opposing this war and calling for a ceasefire is radical than I am also radical.

I think I would draw the line somewhere that students should not physically attack other students for their cultural views or views on this conflict, and that students should not blow up administrative buildings or something like that. Not am I suggesting this is happening, but I feel like it could if tensions continue to escalate.

The crux of my post is simply, if one is passionate about a cause and wants to effect change, there is a tact necessary to be persuasive and not lose sight of an organized way to convey your stance. When emotions run hot things can get convoluted. Additionally, it is important to view the situation realistically so that the expectations of what you can accomplish are not fantastical, or better yet, have a tiered approach of high level goals and smaller more achievable steps to build to those larger goals.

Lastly, I have become apathetic. While I want to better the world I have come to accept that many things are out of my control and if my happiness is hinged to a narrow lens of perception that wants one thing or another to change for the positive, I will probably be very unhappy. I think it is great to be informed, and to speak your mind true to your heart's desires, this takes courage and I commend it. But sacrificing all the other aspects of your life to live as a bleeding heart is in my opinion a bit of folly. I guess I feel as I aged my activism has taken on a different measure - a balance in all things kind of approach. My political views are only a part of my overall views and I have more patience and tolerance/acceptance of the flawed world than I used to. I also view humans/societies/nations as mostly highly flawed. But I have to get along in this world and while I attempt to counter all the injustice, it is not at the expense of my overall mental state. Call me selfish. We all need music/art/laughter/friends & lovers/entertainment/drugs etc. to distract us temporarily from the evils of the world.

Should I take a bigger stand? Possibly, but I'm kind of done trying to save the world or right the wrongs of mankind. I can do what I can in my own thinking and personal interactions, but I do believe personally, in a peaceful approach. I know at times peaceful approaches are not a viable option.

Back to the topic of the university students, it just feels to me that they could fall into a bit of tunnel vision of the cause. The cause is righteous and they have my support. Perhaps I am wrong, I am not there with them. Its more like I worry about "group think" regardless of what side you are on. And I also think adopting reactionary and hateful views closes down the opportunity for genuine discourse, which I believe is more effective at change.
(y)

moose eater

“The Nazis made me afraid of being Jewish and the Zionists made me ashamed of being Jewish.” — Israel Shahak, an Israeli historian, a Holocaust survivor

Latest posts

Latest posts