What's new

wanting 2 plant a peach tree?

i was wanting to grow a peach tree from seed but i dont no how tro go bout it i have 12 seeds from inside the peach and was wondering how to germ them and get them going or is this not possible.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you know someone with a peach tree, you can air layer a whole branch if they dont mind. you can start it in fall and by spring you will have a rooted branch to plant as a peach tree. you can air layer branches up to a couple inches thick. this will give you a jump start of a few years depending on the size of the branch you clone.

google air-ayering if you dont know what it is.

emmy75

hey drelow

just like the information in the link says the seeds may not germinate. ive been trying to germinate the seeds for this chinese fruit for over a month. a chinese lady gave me some fruit which seems to be a cross between a baby apple and an apricot.
its really tasty and she told me through gesticulation, granny doesnt speak a word of english, that i could plant it in the soil and grow a tree. well i have them seeds in a jar of water and they wont germinate.

so not all seeds germinate but if you are fortunate to germinate not all trees bear fruit. its better to get a graft of the fruit tree at a local nursery.

good luck though

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
also, consult with local nurseries about the viability of peaches in your area.
for whatever reason ( and there are a few) peaches will not produce high quality fruit in every region or temperate zone.
also, many areas are widely afflicted with peach blight and unless you have regular frosts to kill it off your tree may not be healthy enough to even produce edible fruit.
i know, encouraging isn't it?

MrFista

Veteran
Peach blight - aka curly leaf - aka many names.....

Get a copper nail and a zinc (coated) nail. Place these both in the trunk of the tree about 1" apart. The two metals in proximity like this release ions. More importantly copper is released and travels via the cambium layer.

Stones/seed often wont germinate without a wintering first. Putting them in the fridge a couple of months will solve this.

Air layering - you bloody beauty Jay! So many desirable trees just down the road....

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was unsuccessful at air layering. What is the best method?

how long did you wait? what medium did you use? and what plant? ive had branches take 6+ months to root via air layer on some trees, BUT i shaved off a few YEARS!!!!!! by doing so. already had a 5ft "tree" by the time a seed would be few inches to a ft tall at most.

D

Don Cotyle

Don't forget you'll need at least 2 peach trees growing so they can cross pollinate so they'll be able to produce fruit. An old neighbor told me this when he started his trees, it took almost 3 years before they started to produce! I don't know if this is fact but he had all kinds of veggies and fruit trees growing, he even had fig trees produceing, he would wrap the fig trees with plastic then insulation then more plastic and finally with metal from an old 4' deep swimming pool. They would come back every springafter he unwraped them and they went thru some very harsh winters! Just thought I'd pass this info along so you could look into it and double check it! Hope this helps, Don!

B

Bigtimer7

I have just one Peach Tree that started to fruit this yr. It was bout older than normal but still a small tree. 3yrs later we had to actually pick the peaches off because there was 2 many and started to spill all over the yard not to mention the bugs that got in them.

I also have a Pear tree and an Apple tree. ALl have fruited. Right now none have fruits on them but they all did earlier this year. I dont know if this is good info just how its going for me.

Good luck

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Fruit Trees

Fruit Trees

Starkbros.com has a large selection of peach trees. It's a purdy cool company, they have all kinds of fruit trees, even mini-fruit trees! A gardner could go crazy with all the different stuff they have to offer.lol They also have excellent customer service too. These guys called me a year later ta see how my stuff was doing! I told em 1 of the blueberry bushes had died, and I wasn't sure why, they sent me another one! How cool is that!......About the propagation useing limbs, I agree air layering would be the way ta go. But, I have seen my grandad cut a sucker ( from the root stock ) off ofa purple plum tree and clone it in a coffee can full of humus and compost. The thing grew out white plums! lol.... One other time, a friend and I cut bank poles outa maple tree saplings for bankpole fishing. Half way through the year we had to move em cuz the river dropped. They were really hard pullin out, when we did get em out, there were roots growing on them! whata freak! there were no leaves what so ever on these poles, and they were about twice the size of yer thumb! So anyway, I wouldn't totally count out cloning fruit tree branches by jus cloning the way ya do cuts of pot plants. Good luck whatever ya do! BC

Last edited: