What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Wanted - Ruderalis

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I would love to get my hands on some ditchweed seed.
That's the answer to your question :) .
Everyone would love that but as good as nobody can... it seems easier to grow +25% THC hybrids under 10'000 W in your garage, discard the coco coir at your McDo's, dry the plants in your shack, make BHO out of it in your backyard, and sell the shatter on your street than to go for a hike through nature collecting a handful of ditch weed seeds... but then again, I'm not American...

oldchuck

Veteran
Oh, I don't know about that, OO. Take a look at this:

http://www.tokesignals.com/wild-hemp-grows-everywhere-in-nebraska-photos/

Beautiful pictures.

There is also a guy at, I think, University of Colorado named David West who made a video a few years ago of exploring the local ditchweed and stressing the importance of preserving the genetics. I bet there are a lot of people out there rooting around for seed these days.

I'm on the east coast and would have to make a special trip out there to make my own collection which is not practical right now. Someday.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Oh, I don't know about that, OO. ...
Thanks for the link and all, though I know them already (still beautiful pictures :) ). Maybe there are... but they're not here ;( .

Don't know if you've read THIS article written by Lyster H. Dewey in 1913 about his experiments and experiences with Kentucky hemp breeding. Contains also general stuff about hemp. Very interesting!

J-Icky

Thanks for the link and all, though I know them already (still beautiful pictures :) ). Maybe there are... but they're not here ;( .

Don't know if you've read THIS article written by Lyster H. Dewey in 1913 about his experiments and experiences with Kentucky hemp breeding. Contains also general stuff about hemp. Very interesting!

After reading that I REALLY REALLY want to get my hands on some Hiroshima Hemp seeds. I would love to see what those plants are like after the nuclear explosion and fallout. Heck any plants that were able to grow in the following years has to be some truly hardy stuff, not to mention the mutations that survived.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
After reading that I REALLY REALLY want to get my hands on some Hiroshima Hemp seeds. I would love to see what those plants are like after the nuclear explosion and fallout. Heck any plants that were able to grow in the following years has to be some truly hardy stuff, not to mention the mutations that survived.

Better go to Fukushima if you want the good stuff. I'd think most of Hiroshima's fallout is gone by now anyway.

J-Icky

Better go to Fukushima if you want the good stuff. I'd think most of Hiroshima's fallout is gone by now anyway.

Oh im sure its mostly gone by now, but if read that paper, Hiroshima was one of Japans biggest hemp producers in the early 20th century. Plus the fallout being gone means the plants that survived were able to withstand the radiation, even small amounts, and any mutations created would be stabilized at this point.

But most likely the plants that are grown there now, if any, would be from seeds brought in from other regions to restart the industry. So I would need to go there and look for the feral patches as i guarantee anything you could order or buy online would be from plots that would most likely be using seeds that were brought in from outside sources.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
But most likely the plants that are grown there now, if any, would be from seeds brought in from other regions to restart the industry. So I would need to go there and look for the feral patches as i guarantee anything you could order or buy online would be from plots that would most likely be using seeds that were brought in from outside sources.
Most likely not ;( . Japan has no longer a hemp industry. At least, they maintain a few Japanese landraces and heirloom varieties in highly guarded field. You should read THIS thread and mostly the link in the last post about hemp and hemp rituals in Japan (it's THIS one).
If you want mutated hemp/cannabis, just buy some mutagenic chemicals such as EMS or a UVB/C lamp and treat your own seedlings ;) . Radiation treatment in Germany prior WWII done by Walther Hoffmann didn't result in any useful mutation but resulted in weird growing and often hermaphroditic plants (the publication is in German).

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
You might find feral plants close to Tshernobyl in Ukraine. When I was seedhunting in the country I didn't see one plant during the time so I take it they mostly grow down south at the steppe zone. I didn't go to Tshernobyl though, they charge a lot for it and I'm not sure you can wander around freely. Besides, the wild life in the area has bounced right back after the disaster so I doubt you'll find a lot of mutants there either.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi everybody

That's the answer to your question :) .
Everyone would love that but as good as nobody can... it seems easier to grow +25% THC hybrids under 10'000 W in your garage, discard the coco coir at your McDo's, dry the plants in your shack, make BHO out of it in your backyard, and sell the shatter on your street than to go for a hike through nature collecting a handful of ditch weed seeds... but then again, I'm not American...

I think that due to the laws they have there, it could be very dangerous for them if they get caught collecting seeds or with some viable seeds. And after all the material is not smokable, so the risk doesn't worth the effort.

J-Icky, if you want mutant plantas, have you tried to use colchicine? You can get polyploids. You can use Colchicum autumnale crushed seeds to get the stuff.

Also even caffeine is a mutagenic agent.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/342928

About Chernobyl, now it seems a paradise. The wildlife without men has recovered there. Wolves and bisons there seem very healthy. Even some old people that refuse to evacuate from their homes are said to be healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsWVHfnXlo

But people in sorrounding areas in Belarus, specially children, suffer due to the high radiation.

Greetings.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I also am looking for Ruderalis Autos, I don't want hybrids I want unimproved Ruderalis from anywhere, I will test the DNA and see what we can see. Are they really separate from NLD, WLD, NLH, WLH, or Indica's & Sativa's? I think they are just escaped hemp after 50+ generations in the wild. They are auto because they were more successful at reproducing seeds in the wild then varieties that were more short photoperiod determinate and flower later then Autos. I am guessing....
The DNA testing will help answer this and many more questions.
Any info on where to find real Ruderalis seeds is appreciated, from anywhere.
Thanks,
-SamS

J-Icky

I also want unimproved ruderalis but not for the same reasons, I don't think anyway, as Sam. I want a huge variety with all different growth patterns to be able to breed to match the growing characteristics of the photo plants I would want to breed with. In theory it should eliminate some work since the plants shouldn't be drastically different from the originals. So if I crossed a 6 ft, christmas tree growing photo with a rudy that grew the same height and shape, the future genrations shouldn't produce too many plants that won't grow over 2ft or with different structure.

CannaZen

I too would like to obtain pure Ruderalis not quite for breeding auto-flowering but for smaller size & greater CBD traits. Contemporary autoflower strains would seem to be adulterated for that and for outdoor purposes most especially.

Regarding origins, Who's not to say Ruderalis to be the leftover feral species of cannabis that just so happened to express itself from within the natural selection of russian hemp genetics after relocation? being contrary to photoperiod does credit common theory but this explanation leaves much to be desired for me, especially looking at austrian ruderalis & that ABC Australian strain that was found.. whether mutation or not it does seem to be a reversion.

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I too would like to obtain pure Ruderalis not quite for breeding auto-flowering but for small size & Higher CBD traits. Contemporary autoflower strains would seem to be adulterated for that and for outdoor purposes most especially.

Who's not to say Ruderalis to be the leftover feral species of cannabis that just so happened to express itself from within the natural selection of russian hemp genetics after relocation? being contrary to photoperiod does credit common theory but this explanation leaves much to be desired for me, especially looking at austrian ruderalis & that ABC Australian strain that was found.. whether mutation or not it does seem to be a reversion.

Most ruderalis ascensions probably are escaped cultivars, some of them from decades ago, some possibly from millenia ago.

Some might be completely endemic to where they grow. The Altay mountains for example might have been a refugium for cannabis (and humans) since the last ice age. link

I guess what I' m trying to say is, there isn't just one type of ruderalis, there are probably hundreds of different varieties with different backgrounds. The ones in Europe and America are most likely all escaped cultivars but Central Asia is genetically more diverse.

The ones I've been experimenting with are high in cbd but don't yield anything. They get big too, two metres and more. A Lebanese hashplant might be a better place to look for short cbd rich breeding stock, although I'm thinking about crossing the two.. ;)

CannaZen

A Lebanese hashplant might be a better place to look for short cbd rich breeding stock, although I'm thinking about crossing the two.. ;)

Thats what i had in mind, It is considerably smaller, something i find value with in number and stealth, and flowers earlier than the average leb hashplant which I'm not sure would finish early enough anyway. Though i now realize after reading more in depth that would be too large an endeavor at the moment, it could be considered a long term investment. For me it is possible and certainly worth it should the result prove to be medicinal imho.

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I had similar thoughts. It is still considerably smaller and flowers earlier than the average leb hashplant which I'm not sure would finish early enough anyway. Though i now realize after reading the thread more thoroughly that it would be too large an endeavor for myself at the moment, it could still be considered a long term investment.

I think the size is about the same.. 30cm-1m50. Both can grow big given the right conditions. Just that a rudy does not yield tight buds, only whispy strings of unswollen calyxes. Best to make your own ruderalis indica, something that flowers in time and has some beef to it.

CannaZen

Can you tell me if one can lock in genetics of overall size without too much difficulty provided the material is there, in the stone ready to be carved out so to speak? I'm thinking perhaps Ruderalis Indica is an option to cross with a short landrace 'indica', both sides could have elevated CBD but I'm concerned size may be an issue.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Can you tell me if one can lock in genetics of overall size without too much difficulty provided the material is there, in the stone ready to be carved out so to speak? I'm thinking perhaps Ruderalis Indica is an option to cross with a short landrace 'indica', both sides could have elevated CBD but I'm concerned size may be an issue.

Yeah, one could. Crossing dwarf strains with squat indicas for example, either one could be the cbd donor.

To lock in such a trait would take lots of selection work so better start with something that is already small. Why do you prefer it small if I may ask?

CannaZen

One can care for the plants in a different way, For many reasons. Hardiness, Stealth, Ease of care. I cannot fully speculate of size yet but I believe it to be the suitable way to go for my situation.
Not only Ruderalis Indica, I see many other options. I wonder if a 3 way cross would be overly difficult to capture autoflowering, CBD & at the same time contain alter Terpenoids/Cannabinoids in considerable amounts. I have much to learn about breeding and how intelligent crossing can be done and the numbers required.

Last edited: