What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
easy hemp

hope your well, a quickly hope you can help:

got about 10 jars full of trics, want a safe way to get wash them out so I can smoke it.

any suggestions of how I can do this?

Thanks

Define safe? The safest way I know of to seperate trichomes from plants so you can smoke them is thru dry sifting thru a silk screen. I think the next safest way is thru cannabutter with the only risk being the heat source to boil the water. The next safest approach in my mind is using alcohol to make ISO because in theory the alcohol evaporates away. I'm not sure if it all goes away though as every batch of ISO I've ever had has a taste you don't find in dry sifted hash. Then finally you have BHO which I consider to be the riskiest because of the flammability of butane.

nice one very helpful as always,

so could i pour a little alcohol in the jars to get the tric out then pour that through my smallest bubble bag, dry then smoke?

thanks

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
nice one very helpful as always,

so could i pour a little alcohol in the jars to get the tric out then pour that through my smallest bubble bag, dry then smoke?

thanks

Not exactly.
Alcohol will dissolve the capitate and sessile glands, and the resin, in solution, will go right through bubblebags.
In fact, it's a good idea to run it through a coffee filter.
That will filter out pollen, dirt, large spores, etc.
What's left in the filter is trash.

Evaporate the alcohol with a fan.
Outdoors if possible, away from ignition sources.
It will turn brownish as the resin precipitates from the residual water.
As the last water evaporates it will turn into an amber resin.

Enjoy,
Wee 'zard

Last edited:

Bloom

Any pictures around here where it shows a few different methods of running ventilation inside of a grow room? I have a 1k cool hood 6" with a 6" fan, and I have a 8"scrubber with a 8" fan, Im just confused.. help me please

HempKat

Veteran
Any pictures around here where it shows a few different methods of running ventilation inside of a grow room? I have a 1k cool hood 6" with a 6" fan, and I have a 8"scrubber with a 8" fan, Im just confused.. help me please

I imagine there are pictures here somewhere although I don't keep a list of links so if there are I don't know where to send you. So instead I'd say maybe try using the site's search feature and type in DIY ventilation or something along those lines.

Now based on what you have I'd think it would be fairly simple. If I were you I'd get some 6 inch flexible ducting and some 8 inch flexible ducting. I'd have the 6 inch coming in from wherever you plan the cool air for your light to come from, and connect to the light. I'd then have another section of 6 inch ducting coming from the light to whever you plan on exhausting the heat from the light to. I'd connect the 6 inch fan such that it's pulling the air thru the ducting and light and the exhaust side of the fan would be outside the grow space and blowing the hot air somewhere where it either can help warm an area needing to be warmed or where the heat won't feed back into your intake side of things. If the intake and the exhaust are both outside of the grow area then since the air travels thru ducting and the light inside the growroom, it has no chance to pick up any odor from the growroom. Therefore on the ventilation for cooling your light you don't need the scrubber.

Since it's not needed for the light the scrubber then should be attached by the 8 inch ducting to your exhaust vent and your 8 inch fan. You can either have it where the fan is positioned such that it pulls air thru the scrubber and ducting and exhausts it out thru the exhaust vent (which means the scrubber is inside the grow room) or you can have it such that the fan pulls air thru the vent and then blows it out thru the ducting and scrubber (scrubber is outside of the grow room in this configuration). Now while it can be done either way the most efficient way for the fan is to have it pulling air thru the scrubber before it exhausts out of the room.

Here's the first thread I get when I type DIY ventilation in the site's search feature. It probably has everything you need to know in it although I haven't read it so I'm not sure.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112862&highlight=ventilation

Bloom

Thanks alot HempKat, I'm looking to make it a little more cost effective maybe, How would I go about hooking up the scrubber and fan so I only have to run one fan?, I have been looking and looking, but really would like to stick with just the light,scrubber, and fan, eliminate the other 6' fan... Since I have no reducers I think I can just slit the 8' down to 6' and tape it good...
This is what I would like to try, I also have a hepa filter for the Intake of the system... so simple but so frustrating..

HempKat

Veteran
Thanks alot HempKat, I'm looking to make it a little more cost effective maybe, How would I go about hooking up the scrubber and fan so I only have to run one fan?, I have been looking and looking, but really would like to stick with just the light,scrubber, and fan, eliminate the other 6' fan... Since I have no reducers I think I can just slit the 8' down to 6' and tape it good...
This is what I would like to try, I also have a hepa filter for the Intake of the system... so simple but so frustrating..

Well anything you attach to the fan whether it be a light, scrubber, ducting or additional filters is just going to add resistence to the air flow created by the fan. Therefore the less you can add the better and so I'd leave the hepa filter out of the equation. Besides filtering the air coming into the room isn't going to do much good unless you have alot of hair and dust in the air that you're trying to prevent from ending up stuck to the buds.

As for using just one fan, how you would hook it all up depends on if you want the fan pulling air thru the scrubber (more efficient) or blowing it out thru the scrubber (less efficient)? Assuming the slitting and taping all works as you hope they will, then to blow the air thru the scrubber you would basically just leave the intake side of the light open to the room and ducting on the exhaust side of the light connecting to the fan and the exhaust side of the fan connected to the scrubber. To pull it thru the scrubber you would have the scrubber in the room with ducting connecting it to the intake side of the light and then the exhaust side of the light connected to the intake side of the fan.

The problem though is with the single fan setup you'll be pulling warm air thru the light which is fine but it reduces the benefit an air cooled light can give you. It's far better to pull cool air thru it to reduce the amount of heat that radiates from the light.

downtoearth

Greetings. I have an Aeroflow 60 site and I made a simple pvc single layer trellis for it. Do you have any suggestions on how far the trellis needs to be above this type of set up?

EDIT:
Never mind. I went with about 4-5 inches. Guess experience will be my guide lol :) Thanks anyhow.

HempKat

Veteran
Greetings. I have an Aeroflow 60 site and I made a simple pvc single layer trellis for it. Do you have any suggestions on how far the trellis needs to be above this type of set up?

EDIT:
Never mind. I went with about 4-5 inches. Guess experience will be my guide lol :) Thanks anyhow.

No problem, I'm glad you figured it out for yourself as I've never worked with a trellis so I wouldn't have been able to answer you :)

HempKat

Veteran
Hi OF,

Thanks for taking the time to help. I have 3x3x6' tent w/ a 600watt HPS bare bulb verticle and need to get a fan and filter. The fan I'm looking at is an S&P

http://www.bathroomfanexperts.com/p...edium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=google_base

with a carbon filter is this sufficient for exchange or a bit of overkill? Your recommendation is appreciated as well as for a carbon filter.

thx,

Without a carbon scrubber that might be overkill or close to it but when you factor in the resistence the scrubber will create I think it'll end up being just right.

As for recommendations on scrubbers I have never bought one so I couldn't reccommend one.

Rudedewd

Good morning Old Farts and young farts alike. Howdy hey HK, just stopped in to see how you be and say hello. Same old same old here which at my age is a good thing, lol. It's nice to see you still sharing the love over here, good man! Take care my friend......

HempKat

Veteran
Good morning Old Farts and young farts alike. Howdy hey HK, just stopped in to see how you be and say hello. Same old same old here which at my age is a good thing, lol. It's nice to see you still sharing the love over here, good man! Take care my friend......

Hey RD good to see/hear from you. I'm glad to hear life is treating you relatively okay. I guess I can't complain much either I don't have everything I want but I do have everything I need. :)

skrappy

Quick question i have developed spider mites with one week left of flower what is the best way to deal with them it seems to be contained but i cant be sure the whole crop is not contaminated.

Protea

i just had spider mites on my last crop, 2-3weeks before harvest, so i didnt want to spray anything on them. so i de foild all the coverd colas, removed all the leafs with some yellow sucking spots. on the underside of them is normaly some kiddimites and thous you want gone. all the removed leafs goes in a bag to dry out. this doen solv the prob but prospone it enough so u can harest normaly.
i thought that this defoilage metod opent the plants a bit, so the plant can hang in there for a week more.
hope that helped a bit, or else you just have to wait fot HK. to tell you, he knows everything.

HempKat

Veteran
Quick question i have developed spider mites with one week left of flower what is the best way to deal with them it seems to be contained but i cant be sure the whole crop is not contaminated.

Because you're so close to harvest I would suggest avoid using any pesticides or at the least only use ones that are considered safe to use even up to harvest (such as neem oil). I've never had spider mites (knocks on wood) so I can only suggest what I've heard others do. At a week out you just need to hold them off a bit longer which can be done by misting with cold water. Of course misting in flower can increase the risk of bud rot. Also if you can keep the growroom cooler then normal (below 75 degrees F) I hear that slows them down.

At a week from harvest I don't think keeping them under control will be terribly hard but don't forget to thoroughly sanitize the grow room after harvest. Mites are tough and persistent and if you don't get them out of the grow room they tend to keep popping up crop after crop. They can be tough and can adapt pretty easily. That is to say if you don't eradicate them completely, say using neem oil then they will come back and be resistent to neem oil.