What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

DaDank

Old Fart Looking In the Windy City

Old Fart Looking In the Windy City

Ladies / Gentlemen -:wave:
Having just turned 50, I am certifiably an "old fart". The fact that when I fart dust comes out is proof positive. This fart has recently been relocated. And I am looking for spleef in the Windy City.
My problem is that I do not know where to start. If I were back in high school, I'd go down to the stadium and ask the guys smoking under the bleachers where I could score. But that was the late 70's.
Now it's the work world. Do you think I should just go ahead and ask my new boss? Or maybe Officer Friendly could direct me to the street corners where dealing is done.

What? You don't think so? Well, then maybe you can give this lost soul some advice. It is appreciated in advance.:tiphat:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Ladies / Gentlemen -:wave:
Having just turned 50, I am certifiably an "old fart". The fact that when I fart dust comes out is proof positive. This fart has recently been relocated. And I am looking for spleef in the Windy City.
My problem is that I do not know where to start. If I were back in high school, I'd go down to the stadium and ask the guys smoking under the bleachers where I could score. But that was the late 70's.
Now it's the work world. Do you think I should just go ahead and ask my new boss? Or maybe Officer Friendly could direct me to the street corners where dealing is done.

What? You don't think so? Well, then maybe you can give this lost soul some advice. It is appreciated in advance.:tiphat:

Alas all my knowledge is centered around how to be in a position of not having to depend on people on the street by growing your own. So as far as information about how to go about doing that I can help. As far as where to buy in Chicago well unless they have programs where people can get prescriptions for Medical Marijuana and they have places that sell to people with prescriptions (dispensories), then I haven't a clue as to where one might buy. I've never been to Chicago and I live in the Mid Atlantic region of the East Coast.

There may be people on this site that live in that area that might direct you but typically I would expect people to be pretty closed mouth about such things with people they don't know. As far as the people in this thread I believe all of them are pretty far removed from the Chicago area and wouldn't be able to help much either, other then how to grow your own.

MamaBudz

An oldie but a goldie ...goodie too

An oldie but a goldie ...goodie too

Hi all... just saw this forum and wanted to set a spell with the other Oldsters...

MamaBudz

HempKat

Veteran
Hi all... just saw this forum and wanted to set a spell with the other Oldsters...

MamaBudz

Well you just hobble that walker right on in here and pull up a rocking chair. What will you have to drink? Metamucil with a lime twist? Geritol on the rocks? An Ensure martini perhaps? :D

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I wish I was 50 or 38 or actually 21.

Im over here smokin Haze, I have 1 outdoor plant left. Its a haze Skunk freebie from SamS. Its a big plant I probably have 3 weeks left to go, but the quick sun dry bud I just smoked tastes wonderful.

bud lover

hi guys ive been growing for nearly a year now in a 1x1x2m tent but some1 suggested that i try doing a scrog grow to maximize yield, my question is this how do i get the plant to grow through individual 2"squares do i need to top the plant in early veg to get it to grow more potential colas and how much longer does it take before switching to 12/12 than normal, i normally veg for 4-6 weeks. or is there a link that you can suggest like a tutorial or how to on scroging cheers in advance.

My personal opinion on scrogs is don't waste your time. Just think about it 6 harvests in one year or two who's going to end up with more herb that should be a no brainer. If you grow normal your going to harvest about every 60 days with a scrog your going to harvest every 4-6 months. That time frame isn't going to be able to keep up with the guy pulling down 6 harvests a year if you chop them at day 60 and have plants ready to gin in the same day as chop which I keep on top of pretty well typical grow year for me is at least 5 grows if not 6 indoor and soon to be doing some outdoor as soon as I get moved to a place that the cannabis will grow in the desert really isn't the place.

HypnotiQ

hey old farts,

I'm looking to grow some ganja. Enough to smoke and enough for my friends and family. ( I am by no means a heavy smoker either. ) Used to be a heavy smoker, but now I like to smoke a bowl or joint in the evening I quit smoking cigarettes and weed is really helping me with the jones-ing. But I digress. I have always been interested in growing the kind ever since 16, so I know a bit about it. Anywhere ays, I think now that I have some money it's time to get serious. I have done a bit of research and hopefully you guys can help evaluate my plan.

Rent out a place with an extra room or a basement or somewhere enclosed or atleast I can enclose myself. I will live there and tend to my garden, I am currently at a cross roads of my life, but another source of income (a job) would be helpful. Rent I think will be 1250 at the very most, and my girlfriend (3 years) could live there with me and share rent. No one else but her and I would know about the grow and it would be hidden such as visitors would not be able to tell it existed.

I have 2000$ budget set out, I would use 1500$ for the initial procurment of lights, fans, media, etc. and 500$ would be reserved for incidentals (accidentally break a bulb)

List of things I need for a 100 sq ft grow, I think

3 x 1000w HPS/MH inline 8'' air cooled hoods with ballasts, and bulbs, and cords est. 1000$

Since that's my biggest expense that's what I'm going to use as my starting point. How should I spend my other 500$ or should I go with only 2 HIDs and spend more on accessories and other goodies. I want it to be really stealth but I also want to dial it in really good. So I need carbon scrubber, maybe C02, cold tubes, best ventilation, possibly sophisticated hydro/aero setup. anyways the most important thing is that is easy, high performing, and low maintenance.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
hey old farts,

I'm looking to grow some ganja. Enough to smoke and enough for my friends and family. ( I am by no means a heavy smoker either. ) Used to be a heavy smoker, but now I like to smoke a bowl or joint in the evening I quit smoking cigarettes and weed is really helping me with the jones-ing. But I digress. I have always been interested in growing the kind ever since 16, so I know a bit about it. Anywhere ays, I think now that I have some money it's time to get serious. I have done a bit of research and hopefully you guys can help evaluate my plan.

Rent out a place with an extra room or a basement or somewhere enclosed or atleast I can enclose myself. I will live there and tend to my garden, I am currently at a cross roads of my life, but another source of income (a job) would be helpful. Rent I think will be 1250 at the very most, and my girlfriend (3 years) could live there with me and share rent. No one else but her and I would know about the grow and it would be hidden such as visitors would not be able to tell it existed.

I have 2000$ budget set out, I would use 1500$ for the initial procurment of lights, fans, media, etc. and 500$ would be reserved for incidentals (accidentally break a bulb)

3 x 1000w HPS/MH lights lights, bulbs, ballasts and everything est. 1000$

Since that's my biggest expense that's what I'm going to use as my starting point. How should I spend my other 500$ or should I go with only 2 HIDs and spend more on accessories and other goodies. I want it to be really stealth but I also want to dial it in really good. So I need carbon scrubber, maybe C02, cold tubes, best ventilation, possibly sophisticated hydro/aero setup. anyways the most important thing is that is easy, high performing, and low maintenance.

3k will give you a lot more weed than you'll need for personal use and some friends. If that's what you really are after I'd think about going smaller, maybe 400 watts.

HypnotiQ

I have a lot of friends and family who smoke, haha. I want to do one really nice harvest then quit til next winter it will be cheaper since I won't have to buy an A/C.

duncan72

im growing in coco and just gone to water my plant and theres sum sort of bug on top of my soil it a little white thing jumping and crawling about any ideas what they are and how do i get rid of them

Oh dear - I've just discovered that I'm an old fart! :thank you:

with a scrog your going to harvest every 4-6 months.

Billy - you don't have to veg for four months to fill a screen! lol

I would accept that maybe it could take 6-8 weeks to fill a large screen with a single plant, but that's about it.

I understand what you're saying, but I think that you're exaggerating just a little to make your point! hehe

HempKat

Veteran
hey old farts,

3 x 1000w HPS/MH inline 8'' air cooled hoods with ballasts, and bulbs, and cords est. 1000$

Well first of all you may want to rethink having a girlfriend involved. Hopefully there would never be a problem but having a significant other involved/aware can put you in an awkward position in fights and break ups when/if they occur. Over the years I have seen dozens of posts where someone came to regret that their significant other knew of their grow and that they either had to tear down or got busted because of it.

It also seems like your numbers are off. $500 is not going to be enough to cover co2, a carbon scrubber, cool tubes, exhaust fans, nutrients, etc. Then again it probably won't cost $1000 for lights if you shop around and are willing to go with things that aren't the top of the line. Sure if you bought 3 digital 1000W ballasts you'd spend $1000 easy for just the 3 lights but you can find places that sell the more traditional magnetic ballasts for under $200 without the reflector (which you don't need if you're going with cool tubes).

I'd forget about co2, if your ventilation is done right your plants will get enough co2 naturally from the fresh air drawn into the grow area. If you do want to use co2, the proper way to do it is to get a regulator/valve to control the co2 coming from a tank and I've heard those alone can cost around $1500. A good carbon scrubber for a space the size you're talking about is probably going to be at least $300 and the proper sized exhaust fan to be able to pull thru 3 cool tubes and a carbon scrubber in a 100 square foot room is going to cost several hundred.

If I were you I'd start thinking about starting with one light and all the equipment you might need to go with it and then work your way up to a three light operation.

HempKat

Veteran
im growing in coco and just gone to water my plant and theres sum sort of bug on top of my soil it a little white thing jumping and crawling about any ideas what they are and how do i get rid of them

Sorry without pics it's hard to say, "a little white thing jumping and crawling about" isn't very descriptive, there's all sorts of bugs that could fit that description. There are threads in the sick plant forum that have pictures of various pests that turn up in grows as well as specific info about each kind and how to get rid of them. I would suggest going there and seeing if you can identify which bug you're seeing in your grow and then follow the suggestions on getting rid of that type of bug.

HempKat

Veteran
hi guys ive been growing for nearly a year now in a 1x1x2m tent but some1 suggested that i try doing a scrog grow to maximize yield, my question is this how do i get the plant to grow through individual 2"squares do i need to top the plant in early veg to get it to grow more potential colas and how much longer does it take before switching to 12/12 than normal, i normally veg for 4-6 weeks. or is there a link that you can suggest like a tutorial or how to on scroging cheers in advance.

If you do a search on this site you should be able to find not necessarily a tutorial per se but info on growing ScrOG style. Also a search on google or yahoo or bing would probably also get you various sources of info and I'm sure some of the books out there on growing your own cover the topic of ScrOG's.

Here's a fairly detailed explaination of ScrOG from the growfaq.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/766.htm

You shouldn't have to top the plant, you more or less just position the screen above the plant, let it grow into the screen and the screen with some help from you will force the plant to grow horizontally under the screen. The process shouldn't take much longer then your normal veg period. As Billy indicated if you go this route it'll be harder to get 6 crops in per year unless of course you have two seperate grow areas so you can get one scrog filling the screen while another is flowering, so that there is one to move into flowering the same day you harvest the one that was already in flower.

HempKat

Veteran
I have a lot of friends and family who smoke, haha. I want to do one really nice harvest then quit til next winter it will be cheaper since I won't have to buy an A/C.

Let them share the risk and expense then. Why should you be the one to shoulder the burden of all the risk and expense?

HypnotiQ

Hi Hempkat, :wave:

Well first of all you may want to rethink having a girlfriend involved. Hopefully there would never be a problem but having a significant other involved/aware can put you in an awkward position in fights and break ups when/if they occur. Over the years I have seen dozens of posts where someone came to regret that their significant other knew of their grow and that they either had to tear down or got busted because of it.

Thank you, she's my friend for about 6 years if there's someone I have to put my faith in, it's her.

It also seems like your numbers are off. $500 is not going to be enough to cover co2, a carbon scrubber, cool tubes, exhaust fans, nutrients, etc. Then again it probably won't cost $1000 for lights if you shop around and are willing to go with things that aren't the top of the line. Sure if you bought 3 digital 1000W ballasts you'd spend $1000 easy for just the 3 lights but you can find places that sell the more traditional magnetic ballasts for under $200 without the reflector (which you don't need if you're going with cool tubes).

I don't know the exact prices for everything but I believe 8'' inline air cooled 1000w HPS/MH hoods, ballasts, bulbs and cords go for about 300-350 a piece. So cool tubes are not needed. But is it better? Carbon scubber I believe I could build a good one for >100$. Magnetic and digital I don't know what these are? I figure I can skimp on the lights if I stay between the 2000-3000w range.

I'd forget about co2, if your ventilation is done right your plants will get enough co2 naturally from the fresh air drawn into the grow area. If you do want to use co2, the proper way to do it is to get a regulator/valve to control the co2 coming from a tank and I've heard those alone can cost around $1500.ok no co2 i can live with that. A good carbon scrubber for a space the size you're talking about is probably going to be at least $300 and the proper sized exhaust fan to be able to pull thru 3 cool tubes and a carbon scrubber in a 100 square foot room is going to cost several hundred.Are you in favour of lower cost home built units or is this more work/main't long term?

If I were you I'd start thinking about starting with one light and all the equipment you might need to go with it and then work your way up to a three light operation.

I want 2-3k for maximum bud production and also I don't want to add components on a piece meal basis. I want all the kinks worked out before I throw plants in.

I'm trying to plan this but I don't know what the right direction for me is, considering my budget? I want it to be easy, high performing, stealth, and low maintenance. I'm thinking 2-3k watts--

sorry for the brevity. I'm going to start drawing up some plans in paint. I think with 3 lamps it may be best to hang them vertically inline with each other, what are your thoughts hempkat.

thank you for patience and understanding. and may budha live inside you.
:wave:

stonethecrow

Ive been lurkin in here for a couple months just cuz i liked the name of the thread. dont have any ??s to ask at the moment but i wanted to share a link to a scrog grow ive also been watching

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=183150

the thread was started at the end of july and the guy is already on day 25 of flowering the 2nd round.

it did require a separate space for vegging a clone but the yield for the space used was great in my opinion but im a first timer and knew nothing about sog or scrog before joining this site so im amazed lol.