What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
So like i said i had some bigger things to move on to i have gotten my strain tester status at anotehr site howeber i'd like to keep my username just to pop in on this thread hope thats kool but i will be spending most my time at that site beings they are expecting me to document untested genetics or at least not tested by the public just by breeder and maybe some of his friends
anyways its a great gig and i wil not say no but would love to still pop in and say hi this has been an awesome thread and i feel i've been fairly helpful not alwasy tactful but helpful :) and would love to continue that well hope this can continue have a good one and we'll see the next time i go to log in if i'm still here :)

Well as long as you don't delete your account or do something to get banned then you'll keep you username and the ability to pop in. Good luck with the testing. :good:

HempKat

Veteran
help, 1000w hps, 5gal smart pot, happy frog/ffof 50/50 mix AN iguana juice bloom, three weeks in flower. big leaf from top small bottom run off ph 6.5 any idea?

Well your ph sounds good unless smart pot is actually some form of hydro that I'm unaware of but as I understand it they're just a fabric pot that allows for better root development. You haven't given us much info to go on so I can only address what the info you've given might suggest.

You say your soil mix is a 50/50 blend of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog. Given what those soils claim to have in them all you should be needing to give your plants at watering time is water. My guess is the Iguana Juice is some how interfering. The only other thing I can think of would possibly be overwatering. How often do you water them and how are you determining they need more water?

Actually if you're going to walk thru that door you should know what the door looks like. Now had you said high dollar salts and high dollar soil mix that would have been accurate with your opinion. The way you state it though you make it sound as if Fox Farm soils are not organic, which they are. Their problem, just like AN's is the price tag is way too high.

lol i missed something here i didnt notice we weret alking about prices my bad might have been in a rush to get out the door to class i dunno :)
but soil isnt that expensive they want 22 a bag for roots here but i worked out a deal where i buy 20 bags at 10 bucks a bag

Well your ph sounds good unless smart pot is actually some form of hydro that I'm unaware of but as I understand it they're just a fabric pot that allows for better root development. You haven't given us much info to go on so I can only address what the info you've given might suggest.

You say your soil mix is a 50/50 blend of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog. Given what those soils claim to have in them all you should be needing to give your plants at watering time is water. My guess is the Iguana Juice is some how interfering. The only other thing I can think of would possibly be overwatering. How often do you water them and how are you determining they need more water?

i was commenting on his "soil mix" saying that iot could be better is what i was trying to get at should have been more specific i know what i was trying to say now :) loose the high dollar salts and go 100% organic all these kinda troubles will fluter away :)

HempKat

Veteran
lol i missed something here i didnt notice we weret alking about prices my bad might have been in a rush to get out the door to class i dunno :)
but soil isnt that expensive they want 22 a bag for roots here but i worked out a deal where i buy 20 bags at 10 bucks a bag

Well most places I seen Fox Farms sold the sell it for around $20 for a 1.5 cubic foot bag. Now that's not horrible if you have a place you can go to pick it up but if you have to have it shipped and therefore have to add in shipping then it becomes overpriced in my book. I'd much rather buy a decent 2cubic foot bag of potting soil for under $10 and just use a decent fert.

By the way we weren't talking prices until you mentioned that AN ferts were high dollar salts and that Fox Farms was a bad mix and you'd rather use your organic mix. My point is that Fox Farms is organic and it's not a bad mix but it is also overpriced just like AN products are. Just another company that is taking advantage of the consumer. By that I mean there is nothing in either product that justifies the price they charge. So they dupe the consumer into believing that what's in it is somehow special and will give better results then other similar products.

Well most places I seen Fox Farms sold the sell it for around $20 for a 1.5 cubic foot bag. Now that's not horrible if you have a place you can go to pick it up but if you have to have it shipped and therefore have to add in shipping then it becomes overpriced in my book. I'd much rather buy a decent 2cubic foot bag of potting soil for under $10 and just use a decent fert.

By the way we weren't talking prices until you mentioned that AN ferts were high dollar salts and that Fox Farms was a bad mix and you'd rather use your organic mix. My point is that Fox Farms is organic and it's not a bad mix but it is also overpriced just like AN products are. Just another company that is taking advantage of the consumer. By that I mean there is nothing in either product that justifies the price they charge. So they dupe the consumer into believing that what's in it is somehow special and will give better results then other similar products.

Your right i shoulod have been more specific and my reasoning for thinking thias way my only trouble with FF soils is this my very first time ever buying a bag of xirt in my life i buy a bag of this FF oceasn forest it was so badly infested with fungus gnates i had to throw it out the hysro store ownere tried to blame i9t on me so i went to another store and have since worked out a deal for 10 a bag on the roots organic gota buy 20 bags but i buy everything in bulk so just cheaper this way
the spendy salts thats really what they are the bottled nuted they are mostly salt and not anywhere near as cheap as amending a soil would be and theres no arguing this wel i suppose a guy could but amended soils are at least 50% the cost of the rest

Yeah no problem, variety is the spice of life they say. :)
Didnt think anyone would mind i'm stop in to visit probablly as much as i do know this is only reason i keep even coming to this site is this thread i really like it alot Hemp well you have a good one brother i'll be in and out and every one else can find me on this thrad nos vemos hasta pronto :)

atomicfield

i lift them up feel the weight. should i wait till completely dry out?

HempKat

Veteran
i lift them up feel the weight. should i wait till completely dry out?

Well that depends on what you mean by completely. If by completely you mean until it feels as light as it did before you ever watered it then yes. If you mean until the plant wilts then no. It's tricky though because until the plant wilts there is no real ovious sign that tells you the soil is completely dry. If it's not and a portion of the rootball is always staying wet then your plant can develope root disease that in turn can lead to things like bud rot for example.

I asked how you do it mainly to try to get a feel for what's controlling how often you water. Alot of times people will notice a pattern when using something like the lift method to judge when to water. They notice for example that their pot feels light enough to water after 3 days. So they just start going by the length of time rather then the weight. If certain conditions changed in the room like it became cooler and/or more humid, then the plants might take longer to dry out but because you've switched to going by time you don't notice and suddenly you're overwatering your plants.

Now that may not be the case in your situation I'm just saying with what you said it was a possibility and it is one of the more common causes for plant health issues.

HempKat

Veteran
Didnt think anyone would mind i'm stop in to visit probablly as much as i do know this is only reason i keep even coming to this site is this thread i really like it alot Hemp well you have a good one brother i'll be in and out and every one else can find me on this thrad nos vemos hasta pronto :)

Well if you think you'll be stopping in as much then you probably never should have even mentioned leaving, since you really won't be. :)

Well if you think you'll be stopping in as much then you probably never should have even mentioned leaving, since you really won't be. :)
:) I suppose it'll be often for the next week or so but once i get into the actual testing and what not with all the homework and work load I already got it's going to almost tax me for time so i'll be around alot less frequently or if i am might stop in for a read but probably not as much posting :)

Well that depends on what you mean by completely. If by completely you mean until it feels as light as it did before you ever watered it then yes. If you mean until the plant wilts then no. It's tricky though because until the plant wilts there is no real ovious sign that tells you the soil is completely dry. If it's not and a portion of the rootball is always staying wet then your plant can develope root disease that in turn can lead to things like bud rot for example.

I asked how you do it mainly to try to get a feel for what's controlling how often you water. Alot of times people will notice a pattern when using something like the lift method to judge when to water. They notice for example that their pot feels light enough to water after 3 days. So they just start going by the length of time rather then the weight. If certain conditions changed in the room like it became cooler and/or more humid, then the plants might take longer to dry out but because you've switched to going by time you don't notice and suddenly you're overwatering your plants.

Now that may not be the case in your situation I'm just saying with what you said it was a possibility and it is one of the more common causes for plant health issues.

I use the lift method and i also check the top layer of soil if i got a decent amount thats dry then it's water time typicaslly about every three days but later in the colder months that will drop down to watering 1 gallon a week on 7 gal pots so 1 watering a week just becasue the humidity changes in the desert

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
wow i ain't never seen anything like this not in 30+ years lol :)

I promise, I've got some green beans (some call em string beans) with that same color splotching along the bean itself. They look like typical, white half-runners with rattlesnake-like pattern.

Next summer I'll pour some King Cobra 40s on em, see if I can grows me some hoods. Then I'll get out there and charm 'em with an Indian flute. :dancer:

If you were talking about the sphagnum, forgive my bean-blather. Speaking of beans, the moss looks like something to eat. Man, I gotta lose some weight, lol. Everything looks like food these days. Seriously, it even looks cooked. If anybody's got an xtra fork......:D looks like Chinese kraut. Hell yeah, and few boiled skrimpies or some cracklin. Yeah that's it, cracklin goes with everything.

Wow, already past 250 pages. A very influential thread, HempKat. Thanks for the cool place to learn and relate. Great peeps too.

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran

Good question and answers, I notice most strains I grow have a slight curve on my water chart. With my typical 9 week strain, water use waxes to week ~7, then wanes.

lol oldest thing i got at the moment is about 3 months old lol til my cuts arrive which should be today :)
Hey so i'm looking at doing a lil hydroponics just to have the knowledge and what not thought i'd do half hydro and half organic dirt.
I was going to do a table and ebb n flo with coco n smart pots but i just don't got the money to set that kinda system up at the moment.
Beings it's becoming winter here i can run a hydro grow or two withoput a chiller during winter months. During summer or spring forget about it. A chiller is a must and on a DWC system a chiler just isnt possible unless it's RDWC and not interested in RDWC. If i want a flood n drain system i know which ones the best. Hands down a table and smart pots and coco. I wish i could afford to set this up but atm it's going to have to be DWC buckets. Super cheap system. I have been made aware of a new line of nutes that i will be running. Just as good as H n G there site even has a nute calculator like H n G they from what I understand they will send out free sample packs to gt a grow started so someone can try out there stuff but you need to end up buyin a couple bottles to finish it off and stuffs super cheap. For enough nutes to run probablly 6 or so buckets for an entire cycle is 160 dollars including shipping off of ebay. The name of the nutes I'm going to be using is Cutting Edge Solutions. I got a buddy thats just slaying it with these nutes and pretty much all he had to say was nute calculator and i'm there. These calculators take the idea of getting zen with your plants out of the picture like all the rest of these nute lines expect you to do your supposed to know the exact amopunt of whatever it needs right now like the things talking to ya. I'm crazy and all but not loonie :).
Can't wait to get my return email or phone call about these nutes or whatever then we'll get started building my system :)