What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Thanks but you missed this: This item (PBI095) is not currently available. This item has been discontinued and is no longer available

I'll keep trying. I heard that they no longer make the liquid but make a granular form.

Oops sorry, I just took the first hit from google using the search terms gnatrol and California. I didn't read thru it.

gnatrol granules and liquid

gnatrol granules and liquid

Where are you finding Gnatrol? Can't find it in Cali. Are you using liquid Gnatrol or granules? I got my hands on an 3/4 empty 2.5 gallon bottle and it's about gone. Would like to find more.
from what i understand they are no longer making the liquid and the granules are just a dried version of the liquid minus the water the reason for this is longer shelf life is the response i got from the manufacturer the liquid has a shel life of 1 year the granules last 2 years i have not bought the granules yet but as soon i need it i will the cops confiscated the quart i had
im in nevada and for the most part buy outta eugene oregon two reasons 1st not many of the hydro stores here have what i need dirt wise and 2nd i grew up in eugene and know the places there that have what i need and the brands any places closer i'd be shooting in the dark till i found it not unless someone can point me in the direction of a place close to vegas or as closer as they can think of that sells down to earth brand amendments and 100% pure EWC no bedding no BS just pure castings :)

my suggestion beings that he couldnt find one in california just order it offline through amazon is where i order through and i know you can find the granules through amazon the liquid like i said they have discontinued it to make a product thats going to last longer
well i looked and only size i could find that was in stock is a 16 pound bag for 450 dollars unless your running a warehouse or are planning on using a lifetimes supply for a small gardener like most are in a 2 year period i'd be looking at whats causing these fungus gnats instead of trying to kill them lol if this were the case i'd say you got more than a fungus gnat problem to take care of :) but keep looking is all i can say amazon has it on there all the time atm however it says its on backorder from the manufacturer

Gold123

from what i understand they are no longer making the liquid and the granules are just a dried version of the liquid minus the water the reason for this is longer shelf life is the response i got from the manufacturer the liquid has a shel life of 1 year the granules last 2 years i have not bought the granules yet but as soon i need it i will the cops confiscated the quart i had
im in nevada and for the most part buy outta eugene oregon two reasons 1st not many of the hydro stores here have what i need dirt wise and 2nd i grew up in eugene and know the places there that have what i need and the brands any places closer i'd be shooting in the dark till i found it not unless someone can point me in the direction of a place close to vegas or as closer as they can think of that sells down to earth brand amendments and 100% pure EWC no bedding no BS just pure castings :)

my suggestion beings that he couldnt find one in california just order it offline through amazon is where i order through and i know you can find the granules through amazon the liquid like i said they have discontinued it to make a product thats going to last longer
well i looked and only size i could find that was in stock is a 16 pound bag for 450 dollars unless your running a warehouse or are planning on using a lifetimes supply for a small gardener like most are in a 2 year period i'd be looking at whats causing these fungus gnats instead of trying to kill them lol if this were the case i'd say you got more than a fungus gnat problem to take care of :) but keep looking is all i can say amazon has it on there all the time atm however it says its on backorder from the manufacturer

Thanks guys I did see a 16 or 32 ounce size on amazon, guess I'll get the granules and toss my old bottle, it has to be more than 2 years old by now.

Thanks guys I did see a 16 or 32 ounce size on amazon, guess I'll get the granules and toss my old bottle, it has to be more than 2 years old by now.
fuck i wouldnt toss it i'd give it a try if it works then its still good ??? do you through out pills on the day it says they're bad or you've never eaten anything that had an expired date on it even if you think you havent i know you have that meat that was bought 2 weeks ago is that not past it's expiration date
as long as you've properly stored it would be more of what i'd be worried about if you stored it in a cool dark place like any of your nutes or whatever should be stored then it's probably ok and even if it isnt it's not going to hurt your plants unless it has some foul odor i wouldnt not at least try it and i mean a foul odor other than its normal odor what do you have to loose by trying other than saving some cash to put towards that electricity :) or equipment if your garden needs that
i went out and geared myself out only thing i'm unhappy with is the type of ballast i had to go with i wanted sun system harvest pros or sunsystem 1's with the cool sun reflectors got the reflectors and eye hort bulbs but the store here doesnt sell the sun system line anymore from there store hell they used to have these things stacked to the ceiling high so only other ballast they had were these hydrosun's owner of the shop claims they're made in america they have a 5 year warranty just like sun system and they'll exchange them right at the shop which is a very well established hydro shop here in las vegas so they're not going anywhere but still i try to buy the best for my buck and i havent even had the time to look these ballasts up yet but am sure going to and if they're made in china back to the hydro store they go according to the store owner sun system makes these i dunno though i dont take his word for anything

HYDRO SUN IS THE NAME OF THESE BALLASTS NOT hydro grow my bad either way i looked them over and they're exactally the same as teh sunsystem ballasts same case same everything who knows we'll see i guess

gsmoked

why do i have to wait three years i been smoking a long time to realise how it all works i have people around me who are very experienced and if i need help va va vooom you see i am going hydro cos i can i may not be exerienced grower but im a top smoker so lets move forward not backwards n dnt hate just love

why do i have to wait three years i been smoking a long time to realise how it all works i have people around me who are very experienced and if i need help va va vooom you see i am going hydro cos i can i may not be exerienced grower but im a top smoker so lets move forward not backwards n dnt hate just love

i think your mistaken man no hating here just advising and i dont care how many friends you got around there not going to be there every step of the way they're going to cut that umbilical cord sometime and i'd imagine that'd happen after the first rez fill thats about whats typical thats about as long as anyone i personally know that has a hydro setup that someone was "going to hook them up" got out of the "hook up"
then it just becomes a hassle for these people to come a running everytime your leafs yellow a lil or whatever it may be theres going to come junctures in this journey friends at your back or not that your going to have to make decisions on your own and dont expect that not to happen the first day no one can predict the future not even me :)
i'm just making a suggestion save your money i'm willing to bet your a kid well i'd call a kid under 25-30 and anyone younger so take no offense the reason i say that is because someone of my generation or older wouldnt want all there buddies coming over "to help them out" i myself like to do everything by myself i may make a phone call but thats as far as its going to go or a thread or even a post
nothing wrong with being a youngster i wish i could go back about 25 years :) it's just the differences in what people of my generation held as morals and what todays generation does i grew up farming our own vegetables canning our own freezing all that because if you didnt you didnt eat i dont get it what happened to getting things out of necessity not because my buddies got them
and i'm sorry to burst your pink lil bubble but if you claim to only smoking the best and wanting to grow the best then a hydro set up is definitely not the way to go my brother runs hydro runs some damn good hydro but it still lacks when he tosses a plant in some dirt and grows some personal he dont smoke the hydro unless he has nothing else hydro doesnt produce better smoke than a good amended organic soil will
i'm willing to bet that theres not going to be to many disagreements with that statement right there so son if you wanna grow the best listen to the older folks bust out the dirt and do it old school

REALLY HERE IM TRYING TO SAVE YOU ALOT OF WASTED MONEY!

but ya ya please toss up a grow show i'll watch i just got my flower rooms set up myself so maybe we can do this simultaneously :) even though that dont prove much evry garens different weather or not its the same person attending it or not :) every situation is unique to that specific garden sure that gardener is going to carry mad habits and may be the casue of all the problems but not always true like i said every gardens different

like i said no hating here grow baby grow however just get it going like i mentioned i'm just trying to save you some money which in the long run is going to make you a much better gardener maybe even better than your buddies because your doing your thing not there thing :)

HempKat

Veteran

You don't have to wait three years, nor is one persons advise a necessity or in other words just because someone says it here doesn't mean it's gospel or even that all old farts are in agreement.

What you have to understand though is that as old farts we've seen alot of things over the years and one of those things is a whole bunch of eager young farts that run with something because they saw someone else doing it and figured they could too. Unfortunately it's rare that it ever really works out that way. So I think what Billy is doing is projecting some of that in your case and trying to advise you based on what he's seen and experienced.

Which is probably similar to what I've seen, which is alot of people who take on one of the more involved methods of growing out there and yet they have very little understanding of even the basics like, how to sex a plant, how long to veg, how long to flower, what to feed, how often to feed, etc. From seeing that sort of thing us old farts tend to encourage new growers to get some experiences under their belt in soil before they go trying things like hydro. The basics are still the same so if you're experienced in that already then the rest seems less overwhelming.

Then there's the issue of friends and support. Now I'm sure in places like Cali where growing is tolerated more it's probably not unusual to have multiple friends in your social circle who grow. What is unusual though and especially to us old farts who remember a time when things were less tolerated, is to know the specifics of a friend's grow. For us this is something we've learned not to share with too many because we've learned that no matter how much you think you can trust people, you can't trust people. I've seen people get turned on by thier "best friend who would die before they snitched". I've seen them busted by their friends, family, spouses, lovers, etc. It's not just snitching either, in at least one case I know of, someone made a friend online (or so they thought) invited that person over to where their grow was (big, major, stupid, mistake), and then got robbed at gunpoint. So based on all those sorts of things many old farts have come to the conclusion that you just don't get your friends or anyone for that matter, involved in your grow. Which is impossible if you're using them for tech support.

Now I will say this about what Billy said to you, he projected a little too much of this sort of thing onto you. Or more correctly he is making certain assumptions about your ability which may or may not be accurate. He means well but to you I can imagine it feels a bit insulting. Another thing too is he obviously is one of those folks who feel soil grown weed is better then hydro grown weed. Which is one of many fueds in the marijuana growing community, soil vs hydro, indoor vs outdoor, chemicals vs organic, etc. Their are a number of these kinds of debates where the community is split and you can't get people to agree. It's okay though and therein lies the beauty of growing your own, there is no one single right way to do it. There are many right ways each best suited to peoples unique perspectives and the amount of involvement they want to have with their grows. Some people like total control and for them hydro is usually the better way to go. Others are more interested in a set it and forget it kind of approach where their involvement is limited to checking the plants once a day and watering every few days as needed. For them soil is usually prefered.

I myself try to avoid these things in my advise. My experiences have taught me that people will do what they want to do, even if you present them with good reasons not to do things that way. So there's no point in trying to talk them out of it. Plus who knows, maybe things will work for someone even though they typically don't work for others? All I can do is give them my perspective and try to make them aware of the pitfalls if any of the way they want to go and then let the chips fall where they may. So to that extent what I would caution someone like you about with hydro is that it's less forgiving then soil. When you make a mistake with hydro the damage can be fast and furious. With soil the damage a mistake can cause comes on slower and therefore you can respond and adjust before the damage becomes too wide spread. I would, like Billy, say it's better to wait a while and work with soil more at first, at least until you know how to spot problems the plants might have in their early stages. Having that knowledge which comes from experience is what can offset the fast acting nature of hydro.

archer66

:wave: budies . i whanted to ask you guys what have you seen happen to hps bulbs? what can be the wors case of malfunction?
Im asking this couse i wonder can i put my PC case with Son-T70w(ignitor and ballast are for that bulb ,not some random) in the wardrone, and if this can couse me some real big trouble (lets knock on wood to do not happn to any of the felllow growers).

gsmoked

yeah hemp thanks for that you always have a way of explaining things , just found calling me a kid insulting lol im 27 not a kid not sure where you guys from but 27-30 years old there some big ass kids lol , but on a serious note what you exlained hemp makes a lot of sense cheers mate

HempKat

Veteran
:wave: budies . i whanted to ask you guys what have you seen happen to hps bulbs? what can be the wors case of malfunction?
Im asking this couse i wonder can i put my PC case with Son-T70w(ignitor and ballast are for that bulb ,not some random) in the wardrone, and if this can couse me some real big trouble (lets knock on wood to do not happn to any of the felllow growers).

Well HIDs can get very hot although yours is such a small wattage it probably doesn't get much hotter then a standard 100W light bulb. If I understand you correctly you're wanting to put your pc adapted grow chamber inside a wardrobe cabinet. As long as there's nothing in the wardrobe hanging down and touching the hot parts of the bulb or your case there shouldn't be a problem. The worst problem I've seen from the bulbs are burning of the plants if allowed to get too close. I have however seen a HID ballast get hot enough to melt the insulation on a heavy duty power cord which then the exposed wires came into contact with one another and the housing for the ballast, which blew the capacitor and burned up the wiring inside the ballast. It potentially could have caused an electrical fire but fortunately the way it all went it destroyed the ballast in seconds and that blew the circuit which prevented any fire from happening.

I don't think what you're proposing poses any really danger although putting a box inside another box is going to cause you temperature control issues if you don't ventilate the wardrobe.

HempKat

Veteran
yeah hemp thanks for that you always have a way of explaining things , just found calling me a kid insulting lol im 27 not a kid not sure where you guys from but 27-30 years old there some big ass kids lol , but on a serious note what you exlained hemp makes a lot of sense cheers mate

Well I'm not sure of Billy's age but it sounds like he's in the ballpark with me which is to say, over 50.

You do already have 3 soil grows under your belt so you should have the basics. As long as you understand the in's and out's of the system you'll be using you should be fine. Sorry that neither I or anyone here seems familiar with the strain you'll be using which is really all you were asking for originally. Did you look thru the strain guide here on this website? I'm assuming it's a cross of Critical Mass and Jack Herer? I have grown Jack Herer and wasn't all that impressed but then again the seeds were bought from the cheapest distributor available and so maybe the quality wasn't there because of that? I believe Critical Mass was bred to be a big yielder so it should do well in yield I would think, then again it depends on which plant's traits were most dominent in the cross. The Jack Herer I grew was a moderate yielder.

haha not quite there hempie :) but ya i was just trying to save you some time and headaches man i come off as rather brash but just roll with it man like hemp said here like he's witnessed as have i many people even older guys just jumping into a hydro grow because "it's better" personally i've seen hydro thats just as good as the smoke i grow in soil so it can be done but the chances are very slim especially that its going to viola happen as hempy also said there with hydro you have a few hours to respond to deff's or any other issues where as in dirt you have alot more time to fix something
personally i'd say 3 grows in soil isnt anywhere near enough to be able to properly diagnose anything other than maybe spider mites or fungus gnats but by all means man it's your movie your money bro
i myself hate to RELY on someone for anything especially for help in my garden because then your on there time when your gardens on its own time they're not going to come racing over even if thats whats needed and people prove themselves untrustworthy time after time but once again if this isnt something you've learned yet you soon will
as for the strain never heard of it i myself stick to the pollen chuckers simply because i've yet to see these big time seed breeders make anything thats worth a shit and especially worth the outrageous prices they want for them so i prefer to pay 30-80 bucks for good tested pollen chucker strains in fact i've yet to find a strain or a pheno within that strain from these big breeders that ever matches the description it's always some nanner infested piece of garbage or it's nothing but popcorn o ya that's going to do it pfft not even close for the price i can buy one packet of beans from these breeders i can buiy 3-4 packets from these other guys
either way man i wish ya luck your going to need it just being a smoker doesnt qualify you as a grower at all i know growers that have never smoked in there lives and grow some wicked smoke so being a smoker doesnt qualify you for much nor does it verify your experienceit just means you've smoked some pot in your time
i mean whats dank by my definition might be schwag by hemps or vice versa for pete's sake theres tons of people out there that still think beasters are dank and will buy them up at top dollar even beauty is in the eye of the beholder
i will give you this advice about hydro the one and only thing that i do know to be 100% the truth i don't know what brand of nutes you plan on running but i would suggest using house and garden and this is simply why
house and garden on there web page have what they call a nute calculator you simply put in your rez size and what line of a n b your going to use and it spells out your whole grow for you almost idiot proof is where people go messing this up is by not following the plan no other nute line offers something as good as this i believe you can get print outs for other nutes but this one actually breaks it all down for you specifically by how much water is in your reservoir it tells you exactly how much of each product to add and at what weeks this is the same thing my brother uses and follows the instructions to the T adding no extras only what they say to and he's the only guy i know that can sit down and break out his hydro and not have anyone know it's hydro without him telling them the idea that organically grown meds ash turns white is hog wash because house and garden is chemical and guess what my brothers meds ash turns white you know why because it's called a flush noe i'm going to be a pal and give you this house and garden link so you can look into this nute calculator and what not with this if your running this line of nutes you'll never need anyone for anything other than maybe some other issues pests hydro system failing i dunno whatever it may be
and secondly i'd recommend that you run an ebb and flo table using coco and smart pots i dont know what style you were planning on going with but this seems to be the best hydro set up hands down never seen any other system yield and grow as well as this way and beings everyone here does hydro i've seen all kinds of mess' hell i've seen guy's using them yellow janitor mop buckets as reservoirs oh ya it takes all kinds man
then i'd also go out and buy yourself one of these 10 dollar test kits from home depot or lowes and test your water before you begin see if your going to need an RO or not if your ppm is over 200 you need an RO and i cant stress this enough DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE 100-200 GPD RO's YOUR ONLY SCREWING YOURSELF ON YOUR WATER BILL SPEND THE 500 DOLLARS ON THE MERLIN ESPECIALLY SINCE YOUR DOING HYDRO YOUR GOING TO BE USING ALOT OF WATER AND THAT MERLIN IS GOING TO PAY FOR ITSELF ITS A NICE CHUNK TO TOSS OUT BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY. i can not stress this enough even the small units are 250-400 dollars somewhere in there so might as well spend the extra money instead of that merlin costing you the price of the first RO and the outrageous water bills you just have to buy the one but if you want to test this theroy once again by all means man
like hempy also pointed out about security this is why i'm a grower not a shower i'm not into putting my or my families safety at risk so my "friend" can see my medical grow if he wants to see opne go buy the equipment and get a card and i'll hook you up with clones and you can have your own grow to admire :) that and i dont like other people around my plants people like to "help" you out even though you dont do things that way for example i'm bad about this if i go to a friends house and his trim job before flower was just done once over and just a crappy job i'll start pulimng shit off the plants lol it drives me nuts to see laziness like that it's not like it's hard to do and not only that but any of that shit you leave growing below does nothing but take away from your bud production so can you have your cake and eat it to no not usually :)

I hate to bring up a touchy subject but would like to know what you Hempkat(and Billy) think about feminized? Over 10yrs ago I worked at a cannabis club in SF'S(Denis Perons) when feminized first started becoming available. Almost all the growers trying them had herm probs and it was rare to see any experienced growers buying them. Now many years later, as more and more breeders are starting to offer them, has anything changed?

But if the topic has already been covered in the thread, Sorry. It just seems that any1 posting neg experiences (dont like them) gets a serious "ball breaking" from many! I dont hate fem's but dont suggest 'em either. Have good breeders figured out the problem w/intersex trait appearing due to stressfull environment?

I grow a seedcrop every winter that is then grown outdoors during summer. Use clones too, but I dont have the time to keep an eye for nanners, males are easy enough to spot in time to pull but like I said cant spend the time needed for finding hidden herms.

Rudedewd

Howdy Old Timers and not so old timers. I just kind of stopped by to say hello, I read back a couple pages and saw some good advice. One thing I gotta say is that the fewer people who know about your grow the more better. Even if friends are trustworthy as far as never ripping you off some people do like to talk especially about herb gardens. It makes people feel important to be in the know and even if your friends are well intentioned a slip of the tongue or even a vague reference can screw you over. If you need someone to talk to about your grow sign online and talk to perople who don't really know you or your personal situation. That is a wonderful option and resource that we didn't have 25-30 years ago.

HempKat

Veteran
I hate to bring up a touchy subject but would like to know what you Hempkat(and Billy) think about feminized? Over 10yrs ago I worked at a cannabis club in SF'S(Denis Perons) when feminized first started becoming available. Almost all the growers trying them had herm probs and it was rare to see any experienced growers buying them. Now many years later, as more and more breeders are starting to offer them, has anything changed?

But if the topic has already been covered in the thread, Sorry. It just seems that any1 posting neg experiences (dont like them) gets a serious "ball breaking" from many! I dont hate fem's but dont suggest 'em either. Have good breeders figured out the problem w/intersex trait appearing due to stressfull environment?

I grow a seedcrop every winter that is then grown outdoors during summer. Use clones too, but I dont have the time to keep an eye for nanners, males are easy enough to spot in time to pull but like I said cant spend the time needed for finding hidden herms.

Well I do know alot of people dislike feminized and I heard the stories about all the hermie issues when they first hit the market. I think things have improved greatly but there's a bottomline. To make feminized seed you got to introduce the hermie gene whether by stressing the plant naturally or thru the use of gibberellic acid to stress the plant artificially you're still introducing that hermie potential into the gene pool. So there will always be that potential for nanners, you can't escape it.

That being said as I understand it they're doing a better job of selecting stress resistent candidates for the breeding which means that unless you run a very stressful grow you shouldn't see the nanners. I myself have only grown one feminized strain, C-99 Feminized from www.femaleseeds.nl. It grew out fine, no problems although I did see some hermie growth starting to develope but not until the plants were well beyond harvest. There was alot of small lower growth so when I harvested the big buds that were ready I let the lower halves go a few more weeks to fatten those buds up. It was in that lower growth were I saw the hermie growth start to form. Of course that was after the stress of hacking off the top half of the plant and then letting the plant go 3 weeks longer then normal. Fortunately I harvested the rest long before any seeds resulted.

It's an odd thing about feminized they seem like a good solution for a beginner but you really need to be an experienced grower to avoid the pitfalls. If you're an experienced grower though then you really don't need the help feminized seed gives you. If you run a stress free grow and know what conditions promote females from normal seeds you can have a very high female to male ratio. Most experienced growers though don't work from seed for flowering. They grow the strain until it sexes, select a few choice candidates for mothers and then work from clones. That way you still have the assurance of all females in your crop but with a much lower risk of hermies.

HempKat

Veteran
Howdy Old Timers and not so old timers. I just kind of stopped by to say hello, I read back a couple pages and saw some good advice. One thing I gotta say is that the fewer people who know about your grow the more better. Even if friends are trustworthy as far as never ripping you off some people do like to talk especially about herb gardens. It makes people feel important to be in the know and even if your friends are well intentioned a slip of the tongue or even a vague reference can screw you over. If you need someone to talk to about your grow sign online and talk to perople who don't really know you or your personal situation. That is a wonderful option and resource that we didn't have 25-30 years ago.

Hey Rude, good to see you :wave: I see here you can type out longer posts without problems. :jump:

archer66

Thanks Hempcat, i just whanted to make sure that HPS bulbs dont go boom like baloons. I know the bulbs must be clean and always use a papertowel to hold it when removing or puting it, and no no to wires near the hot ballast, they give it operating temps from 30 to 70+ i think .

Latest posts

Latest posts