What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

ericcalif

I'm enjoying this thread... back with another question for those with experience, since I was working in the garden this morning.
Will un-rooted clones in soil take well in 12/12 T-5 floro light? I've always let them root in 20/4. And this is my first time rooting straight into soil.

Gold123

I'm enjoying this thread... back with another question for those with experience, since I was working in the garden this morning.
Will un-rooted clones in soil take well in 12/12 T-5 floro light? I've always let them root in 20/4. And this is my first time rooting straight into soil.

I don't think the medium that there in is as important as keeping the in high humidy and spraying the leaves to keep them moist I can't give an opinion on light time 12/12 but I would think longer lights on would be better.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
It's only giving me a small list of avatar's to choose from. I want to use the picture of my dog. How can I make a custom avatar like it talks about?

Right on that same page if you look carefully there is an option to upload a picture of your own to use as an avatar. It needs to be resized to 80x80 pixels I think (it tells you right there).

HempKat

Veteran
Yea we've tossed that idea around as well, but I really don't want to live in the country... :\

That budget, btw, is strictly for the grow itself. Light's, ballast's, hood's and the generator are going to eat up more than half of that right away. The rest is for bills, remodeling the house for our floor plan, and about 25k left over for error.

Buying a house and that property like your talking about would probably cost somewhere around 300k. Which just isn't realistic for us right now. Unless that is, we found a few third parties to invest with us. This would only complicate things and lessen our profit though IMO.

100 is gonna be hard to get by the time we wanna start (Even with as close as we are now) but we have it worked out to where we should have a limitless budget within 5 years from now.

At that point I would be willing to purchase property like that. I agree it would be much safer than growing in one of the most densely populated cities in America, but, sadly, it's just not possible given our current circumstances.

Thanks man

I'm gonna upload a picture of him right now. He will become a recognizable trademark for the PineyDoobey franchise.

-Pine

Well you don't have to live there and if one doesn't have to live there then it doesn't have to have a nice home with all the amenities. I was thinking more along the lines of a rundown farm house or something, with maybe a barn, that might sell cheap. One where you and your partner would maybe drive to and spend time there (like a job) and then return home. If one doesn't have to live there then maybe you could find a fixer upper and just not fix it up (other then what's needed for the grow). Then again maybe where you're at even a rundown farmhouse on a few acres costs around 300K? I've seen places like I'm thinking of go for under 50K.

If you can't though then you can't but it just seems a shame because that's a huge amount of money to spend on a grow. Plus with the way trends are changing in a few years we could concievably see marijuana become legal and that could interefere with your ability to recapture your investment let alone become financially secure.

HempKat

Veteran
Well 3 - 4 hours is not great but then neither is a 150W that's good for 2 - 3 plants max, which may be all that is needed in this case. Here's an idea, why not supplement the indirect light hours with the 150W HPS? I want to know correct results.

Unless you're growing in a greenhouse, supplementing an outside grow with an 150W HPS is going to be somewhat challenging. You wouldn't want it out there 24/7 so you'd have to be constantly taking it out there and then bringing it back in. That would mean your whole routine would become very dependent on the plant's schedule rather then your own.

HempKat

Veteran

You can root straight to soil but I wouldn't try rooting under a 12/12 schedule. Near as I can tell during 12/12 there's not as much energy devoted to root developement. That could interfere with the clone actually rooting.

You could if you wanted to although I wouldn't do it just yet if it's not a space issue. The reason being that essentially each node represents the potential for two main grow tips. So without any other training a plant topped at the 8th node is going to have twice as many potential grow tips as one topped at the 4th node.
And height is not really an issue at this point, so I'll let it go.

As I am getting ready to clone, am I the only one that starts to clone anything they can get their hands on? I have been cloning all sorts of plants. I have several Passion flowers that seem to be coming along just fine. Just tried my first rose. Next is my raspberries and kiwi!

Cloning is so cool.

And height is not really an issue at this point, so I'll let it go.

As I am getting ready to clone, am I the only one that starts to clone anything they can get their hands on? I have been cloning all sorts of plants. I have several Passion flowers that seem to be coming along just fine. Just tried my first rose. Next is my raspberries and kiwi!

Cloning is so cool.

Being that I don't currently grow the lovely cannabis species, I clone everything I can.

Dessert roses are particularly fun and they can actually be sold for a hefty profit.
Other plants I love to propagate include, Jade Plant, Frangipani, Boston Fern, and Hibiscus.

Although Boston Fern and Jade are both self-propagating.

Gold123

Well you don't have to live there and if one doesn't have to live there then it doesn't have to have a nice home with all the amenities. I was thinking more along the lines of a rundown farm house or something, with maybe a barn, that might sell cheap. One where you and your partner would maybe drive to and spend time there (like a job) and then return home. If one doesn't have to live there then maybe you could find a fixer upper and just not fix it up (other then what's needed for the grow). Then again maybe where you're at even a rundown farmhouse on a few acres costs around 300K? I've seen places like I'm thinking of go for under 50K.

If you can't though then you can't but it just seems a shame because that's a huge amount of money to spend on a grow. Plus with the way trends are changing in a few years we could concievably see marijuana become legal and that could interefere with your ability to recapture your investment let alone become financially secure.

It's on the ballot here in California for the next election, anyone over 21 can possess an ounce and grow for their own needs.
I foresee that the demand will keep the cost up because there won't be enough to go around.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
And I agree.

Cloning

Is very

COOL :jump:

If only we could make it as simple for humans as it is plants.

Not only is it cool it's addictive.

I propagate plants for a living. We use heat beds, high pressure mist jets and hothouses.

The plants I do at work take about 6-8 weeks to set roots, not the standard 2 weeks like pot.

We can do about 20,000 clones every 8 weeks.

Mind you it can get a bit boring sometimes doing so many clones.

But it's fun to try new methods and experiment a bit.

Each plant is different.

Gold123

I propagate plants for a living. We use heat beds, high pressure mist jets and hothouses.

The plants I do at work take about 6-8 weeks to set roots, not the standard 2 weeks like pot.

Each plant is different.

Has anyone here ever tried micro cloning from a pot leaf? If so how difficult was it?

High Country

Veteran
I just did a Google search, typed in micro cloning cannabis.

On page 1, 6th entry down is a PDFfile titled " A MICROPROPAGATION SYSTEM FOR CLONING OF HEMP ( CANNABIS SATIVA L. ) BY SHOOT TIP CULTURE"

This was done in China, interesting.

Sorry but I have not linked it.

Each plant is different.

What types of plants are you cloning?

hello.. I've got a question

I might have a hermie.. It's @ the 4th week of veg ... and there are everywhere female preflowers.. i just have 2 things that look suspicious on the main steam lower node ..

Would I see the male preflowers everywhere else, at the other branches and the top??

Those 2 are the only pre flowers that look a bit weird.. I am not sure.. My camera's macro don't want to work either.. so can't get useful pics...

I'm almost sure it's a hermie.. Not sure if I should judge by those two little things.. And there is no sing of any kind of them anywhere else and the plant is big..

:(

High Country

Veteran
At work we clone native Australian plants, cos thats where I live.

Tip cuttings of semi-hardwood are taken. These are placed in Hico trays filled with a mix of 60/40 coco/perlite

We use Clonex purple for semi-hardwood cuttings. We do not maintain mother plants. The clones (cuttings) are taken from a variety of plants in the bush. This is to maintain genetic diversity.

These clones are placed in these trays on thermostat controlled heat beds set at 24C. The ideal temperature for growth.

The trays are in a hot house. We try and maintain the temps at a constant 24C. High pressure mist jets are activated by an evaporation sensor. This cools the foliage and minimizes transpiration loss, in the mean time the heat beds keep the root zone warm for optimun growth.

I also use jiffy pellets for other things using the same principle.

MUMS

MUM, JIFFY PELLET, CLONEX

CLONE

CLONES

MY HEAT MAT SHIT ITSELF, NO PROBLEMS, WATER HEATER IN TUB SET AT 24C

TUB IN A TUB, BOTTOM HEAT PROVIDED BY WARM WATER

PUT THE LID ON

36 PLANT SOG

gabjaz

Hi HempKat,

I agree I probably should have tried harder to get more of the leaves out, but I was afraid of nipping off the buds.. Oh well, I think all in all I'll be happy with the results. I still have girl #3 to harvest. I'm shooting for more of a body high with her, so I think I'll let her go another week or so. I'll try to get a bit more leaf off of her when I manicure. You are right, I didn't really like smoking in the 70's cuz of the harshness, but even my quick dry is fairly smooth (or maybe I'm just tougher) in the bong and vaping so hopefully my final product will be even better than my samples.

I make some canna butter with the trim and plan on baking "Grace's Lemon Cookies" in the next couple of days. I'm excited to try that! Maybe, next grow I'll have read up on making hash :).

Thanks for all your help and support....

Gabs

Latest posts

Latest posts