What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

gabjaz

Thank You Hempkat

Thank You Hempkat

Thanks so much for the information. All that you said makes sense. I'm trying to post pic of the plants. I think you may be right and they just might be ready for the 12/12. Hopefully some pictures will post with this post and if you would be so kind as to give me your opinion, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so very much...
A confused newbie

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 13

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Thanks so much for the information. All that you said makes sense. I'm trying to post pic of the plants. I think you may be right and they just might be ready for the 12/12. Hopefully some pictures will post with this post and if you would be so kind as to give me your opinion, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so very much...
A confused newbie

Those plants look lovely to me, they seem very happy and healthy. Me personally? I'd switch those to 12/12 just to keep them at a good height for indoor under a 600W light. I like to do that because from the bulb outward on a 1000W (what I use) there's only about 5-6 feet the light can travel and still provide good growth. 1 to 2 of those feet is used up keeping a safe distance from the plants. So that only leaves 4 to 5 feet of good growing space or zone you would want to keep the plant in. Beyond that the energy of the light is too weak to do you any good. Now that is based on a horizontal light with a hood. If you remove the hood and design your space for a vertically hung light, then you can expand things to accomodate taller plants because you have that 4 to 5 feet going in all directions instead of just from the ceiling down.

Anyway, based on what I can tell from the pics you could go to 12/12 now or you could wait a little longer for them to definitively pre-flower but I wouldn't want to let them get too much taller. If you go now even though you're uncertain of the sex just keep an eye on them for the next couple of weeks. You should be able to tell whether a plant is a male or female well before the male poses any threat of pollination to any females there may be. Hopefully with just 4 they are all female. :)

gabjaz

Those plants look lovely to me, they seem very happy and healthy. Me personally? I'd switch those to 12/12 just to keep them at a good height for indoor under a 600W light. I like to do that because from the bulb outward on a 1000W (what I use) there's only about 5-6 feet the light can travel and still provide good growth. 1 to 2 of those feet is used up keeping a safe distance from the plants. So that only leaves 4 to 5 feet of good growing space or zone you would want to keep the plant in. Beyond that the energy of the light is too weak to do you any good. Now that is based on a horizontal light with a hood. If you remove the hood and design your space for a vertically hung light, then you can expand things to accomodate taller plants because you have that 4 to 5 feet going in all directions instead of just from the ceiling down.

Anyway, based on what I can tell from the pics you could go to 12/12 now or you could wait a little longer for them to definitively pre-flower but I wouldn't want to let them get too much taller. If you go now even though you're uncertain of the sex just keep an eye on them for the next couple of weeks. You should be able to tell whether a plant is a male or female well before the male poses any threat of pollination to any females there may be. Hopefully with just 4 they are all female. :)
Really!!!! :) :)......Thank you so so so much! The timer will be go to the 12/12 cycle today!! Yippy, Yippy.....

HempKat

Veteran
Really!!!! :) :)......Thank you so so so much! The timer will be go to the 12/12 cycle today!! Yippy, Yippy.....

Well keep in mind in the end we're talking a matter of opinions. For growing medium sized bushes, now would be the point to switch. On the other hand, the pots you have them in could easily support large bushes 5+ feet. Personally I think that's too tall for indoor though, unless you're hanging your lights vertically.

wannagethigh

light distance

light distance

I got some clones a week ago and they havent grown. They were in sm. rockwool cubes, now in 6 in. net baskets with clay pebbles. Im using a 400 MH light. How high should the light be? What can I do to get them to kick in? Thanks Old Farts!!!

darksith

I got some clones a week ago and they havent grown. They were in sm. rockwool cubes, now in 6 in. net baskets with clay pebbles. Im using a 400 MH light. How high should the light be? What can I do to get them to kick in? Thanks Old Farts!!!
patience. If your doing everything right as far as water, temp, and nutrients...they will go. I have my 400 about 24" off the top of the plants, but it all depends on your shade, numbers and other things. As close as you can for what you have as long as the bulb isn't making things too hot you should be fine.

HempKat

Veteran

I can't tell you much about hydro other then the ph range should be around 5.5. The light I can speak to because the rules their apply to any grow style. The rule of thumb for optimal light without harming the plants from the heat of the light for 400W lights is to keep the light at least 1 foot above the canopy. For 600W it's 18" and for 1000W it's 24". Now that's just a general rule based on a horizontally hung light with a hood that isn't air cooled. If your light is air cooled then you can move closer but you still have to be careful. Too close and the plants can still experience light stress from too much intensity.

There's other variables that could be at play as well, first of all in general a clone, does not grow as big as a plant from seed grown for the same period of time. Also some strains by thier nature do not grow tall. If you're comparing to someone else's results are you doing all the things that person does? Many hydro growers also use CO2 to enhance growth and if you're not enriching your room with CO2 then even if everything else is identical your plants would likely still be smaller then CO2 enriched plants.

As long as you got healthy roots showing and you see more roots growing then you're probably okay. Newly established clones can take a little while to develope but when they do they can take off in a sudden growth surge.

hello Old Farts,

thank you for all your consistent help. it is much appreciated. i have a question for you experts. i am in a situation now where i only have one plant. i know i know, go easy on me. the problem is, she is in 4wk of flower. she is vigorous, healthy, & hairs abound everywhere. i really need to take a cutting a clone this sucker. i would rather clone a flowering stalk than do nothing & wait til harvest time & then re-veg. i can;t have a gap with nothing in flower. that would be just criminal. so, do you old farts think it will be ok to cut a perfetly nice budding branch & clone it?? i have tried cloning from flower before, but never this far along. also, the branches are not lignified yet, but they are stiff. i could wait until the next watering, & cut rigth before watering so the stems would be most malleable. what do you guys think i should do?? any advice would be great to continue this sucker until some new genetics arrive. i have no propositions or means to get genetics, or this would not be such a grave issue to me. i only wish i had access to primo genetics. but, we work with what we have.....thanks everyone. i appreciate the help, as always.

darksith

hello Old Farts,

thank you for all your consistent help. it is much appreciated. i have a question for you experts. i am in a situation now where i only have one plant. i know i know, go easy on me. the problem is, she is in 4wk of flower. she is vigorous, healthy, & hairs abound everywhere. i really need to take a cutting a clone this sucker. i would rather clone a flowering stalk than do nothing & wait til harvest time & then re-veg. i can;t have a gap with nothing in flower. that would be just criminal. so, do you old farts think it will be ok to cut a perfetly nice budding branch & clone it?? i have tried cloning from flower before, but never this far along. also, the branches are not lignified yet, but they are stiff. i could wait until the next watering, & cut rigth before watering so the stems would be most malleable. what do you guys think i should do?? any advice would be great to continue this sucker until some new genetics arrive. i have no propositions or means to get genetics, or this would not be such a grave issue to me. i only wish i had access to primo genetics. but, we work with what we have.....thanks everyone. i appreciate the help, as always.
Im not an official old fart, but an aspiring one. Anyway no matter what you will have a gap as you called it. If your in week 4, then unless your growing a 10 week strain you will not have a clone ready to flip by the time you harvest. Attempt to take a clone from a lower branch that isn't gonna affect your harvest, and see what happens. You might not have a choice other than to reveg if you can't make a clone survive.

HempKat

Veteran
hello Old Farts,

Well as you probably know, cloning from flower is more difficult because the cutting has to establish roots and revert to veg at the same time. All clonning later into flower should do is increase the length of time need to revert to veg. Of course that would making clonning more difficult. Other then that though you do what you got to do. I don't normally encourage people to take clones from plants in flower. The only advice I can think of to give is this, think more ahead in the future.

I say that because from what you've said, it sounds like your situation as far as available genetics was the same when you went to flower as it is now. It would have been better for the plants and easier, if you had taken a clone or two before going to flower.

HempKat

Veteran
YO hempcat got my seedlings up and going now about 3inch when would you reccomend flowering them please

Too many unknown variables. What's the strain or strains you're growing? What's your expectations for harvest? What is your grow room like? How many plants will you be flowering? What style of growing will you be using.

Hey I got some 3" plants, when should I flower is just not enough to go by.

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
Greetings fellow old farts, I have question that I hope you can give me definitive answer to. I've heard arguements and stories for and against this. Have you or anyone you know tried to grow with blacklights or a combo of regular and blacklights? My girlfriend for one said she knew a person back in the 70's that did and grew great smoke. Also says she had seen his grow set up and smoked it as well. This was also back in the 70's. I'm feel mixed about this but I haven't found a once and for all answer to this. I was thinking of adding a CFL blacklight in with my other CFL's as an experiment to find out for myself. What can you tell me about this.

darksith

sativa plants have longer spaces between the nodes and the leaves are skinnier and longer, indica has shorter spaces and the leaves are fatter and shorter.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Zoe, unless you witness a landrace plant growing, most that you see will be hybrids of both sativa and indica genetics. The markers darksith described can show one side on one plant, and the other side on it's sister plant under same conditions. One would consider a plant showing thinner leaves than it's other siblings to be leaning to the sativa side of the genetic map, rather than actually being a sativa plant. It's broader leafed sisters could be considered leaning towards the indica side of the family tree. (they took after grandpa instead of grandma) But in almost every instance there will be a combination of these genes along the line somewhere that can show themselves in subsequent generations.

The seed of two true breeding polar plants tend to produce a few that lean one way or the other, but the majority tend to show a mixture of the two genetic maps. Seeds from the next generations tend to show more of a variety in the expressions.

Landrace plants tend to be dramatically as dark described within the whole family.