What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Hi, I am currently snowed in and cant make it to town to buy some 'PH UP'.
Is there a substitute I can use until I can get some ?
I am growing in hydro (wilma/dripper system) and my ph is 4.8.

I've yet to find good substitutes for ph up and ph down that are common things most people have around the house. There are things like vinegar (ph down) and baking soda (ph up) but they cause other problems even though they do adjust the ph.

Since you're growing in hydro you only need to get your ph up to around 5.8. Most people's tap water comes out of the faucet at 6.5 to 7.0 so possibly you could use that to raise your ph? You're ppm may be a bit off but then again this is just a temp solution until you can get to the store.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Happy New Decade HempKat...

I just realized that you were still about and helping out...

Thanks.....Gypsy

T

themoonismyfrnd

Not sure where to post this but......

I have 4 plants that are an unknown C. Afghanica variety that came from very old seeds. Their growth was stunted at first, so I've just been letting them veg. Today is day 44 of veg and they are between 6-8 inches tall. 3 have been topped and bent, one was FIM'ed and bent.

I feed them their veg formula yesterday, but upon a thorough inspection this morning, they are ready for 12/12.

How long should I wait to flip 'em since they were just fed veg yesterday? I usually feed every other day.

Please help. :dunno:

mark1253

Thanks for all the advice folks :headbange

Problem solved.....I hadnt changed the rez for about 7 weeks and the drippers were clogged up with salt etc'

Rez changed, equipment scrubbed.....happy days :smokeit:

Gold123

Thanks for all the advice folks :headbange

Problem solved.....I hadnt changed the rez for about 7 weeks and the drippers were clogged up with salt etc'

Rez changed, equipment scrubbed.....happy days :smokeit:

I here your having a mini ice age across the pond, hope you get some sun soon.

piosh

hai hempkat again :D - old customer here (for your advices)

Started new grow and at the beggining some problems:

My soil mix: 60-70% soil , around 30% coco, dolomite and biobizz guano pellets.

The problem: after a few days plant started to show some strange symptoms little bit like deficiencies / verry small overfert - dunno. The young leaves were lighter green colour, something like this and at the bigger older the tips started to "burn" verry slowly with brown/orange colour.

I thought its kind of deficiciency - so added nutes pHed to 6,3-6,4 - they responded well. So I decided to add two more times nutes (its all happening between 13-19 days from sprouting) pHed at around 6,3. After last ferting I simply caused real nute burn (not so strong till now) , it was like four days ago.
But during the four days they did well , got back their nice dark colour (at most of parts besides few burned tips).
Today I watered clean water pHed to 6,7-6,8. After few hours they shown again signs of "lighter" colour. So I measured runoff pH - 7,0 (dolomite`s pH)
When I saw this I thought : too much nutes , probably too much guano (problems started before any ferting) and dunno what to think about runoff 7,0.

If its nuteburn pH should go down ,but dolomite keeps it high??? - what do you think?

Also is it possible to cause burn/problems by adding too much guano? - I gave good but reasonable amount of Biobizz Guano (guanokalong.nl) into each pot , I wouldent call this overdose but now I feel lost and dunno what to think.

Frankly speaking im so confused now.... dunno what to do.
Shall I flush them really hard (will it help for dolomite/guano if thats the problem) , transplant to new mix with roots cleaned as good as I can or maybe water them at pH 6,3 (they responded well before) and wait?

HempKat

Veteran
Happy New Decade HempKat...

I just realized that you were still about and helping out...

Thanks.....Gypsy

Well thanks and a happy new decade to you as well. Hopefully the next 10 years will be better then the last. :dunno: Yeah even though there was all that craziness for a while it just didn't make sense to stop doing what I do here and so I've been here in the Wanna Ask thread. I check it every day pretty much so I've been here most everyday but I stick mostly to this thread so it's understandable that I might have fallen off your radar.

HempKat

Veteran
Not sure where to post this but......

I have 4 plants that are an unknown C. Afghanica variety that came from very old seeds. Their growth was stunted at first, so I've just been letting them veg. Today is day 44 of veg and they are between 6-8 inches tall. 3 have been topped and bent, one was FIM'ed and bent.

I feed them their veg formula yesterday, but upon a thorough inspection this morning, they are ready for 12/12.

How long should I wait to flip 'em since they were just fed veg yesterday? I usually feed every other day.

Please help. :dunno:

You can go to flower right now if you want. Many people continue with veg fert thru the first 3 weeks of flower (aka the stretch phase) the growth during this period is pretty much like accelerated veg growth so veg ferts at this time won't do anything bad to the plant. Actually what I do and I've seen others say they do as well is start off with veg ferts the first week, then shift to a 50/50 mix of veg and flower ferts for the second week and then move to all flower ferts for the 3rd week and for the rest of flower.

You don't have to do all that though if you don't want to though. If you want you could go to 12/12 now and then just switch to flower ferts on your next routine feeding.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
yeah man...

this site has got so much bigger, so making things more busy and I don't get to see all the posts or threads, too little time in the day I'm afraid....

Reading back on this thread it looks like you are giving out some sound advice though....

Grow On!

HempKat

Veteran
hai hempkat again :D - old customer here (for your advices)

Started new grow and at the beggining some problems:

My soil mix: 60-70% soil , around 30% coco, dolomite and biobizz guano pellets.

The problem: after a few days plant started to show some strange symptoms little bit like deficiencies / verry small overfert - dunno. The young leaves were lighter green colour, something like this and at the bigger older the tips started to "burn" verry slowly with brown/orange colour.

I thought its kind of deficiciency - so added nutes pHed to 6,3-6,4 - they responded well. So I decided to add two more times nutes (its all happening between 13-19 days from sprouting) pHed at around 6,3. After last ferting I simply caused real nute burn (not so strong till now) , it was like four days ago.
But during the four days they did well , got back their nice dark colour (at most of parts besides few burned tips).
Today I watered clean water pHed to 6,7-6,8. After few hours they shown again signs of "lighter" colour. So I measured runoff pH - 7,0 (dolomite`s pH)
When I saw this I thought : too much nutes , probably too much guano (problems started before any ferting) and dunno what to think about runoff 7,0.

If its nuteburn pH should go down ,but dolomite keeps it high??? - what do you think?

Also is it possible to cause burn/problems by adding too much guano? - I gave good but reasonable amount of Biobizz Guano (guanokalong.nl) into each pot , I wouldent call this overdose but now I feel lost and dunno what to think.

Frankly speaking im so confused now.... dunno what to do.
Shall I flush them really hard (will it help for dolomite/guano if thats the problem) , transplant to new mix with roots cleaned as good as I can or maybe water them at pH 6,3 (they responded well before) and wait?

First of all with a good soil mix young seedlings shouldn't need any nutes at all (including guano) until after about 3 weeks maybe even 4 weeks (depending on the nutritional requirements of the strain being grown). I wouldn't say the guano in the soil was the problem per se but giving nutes to it right out of the gate didn't help and so the early feeding of nutes was more likely the problem at least for the burn. The light green color you saw, given the age of the plant, was likely just new growth. New growth usually doesn't come in as a nice dark green but rather darkens a few days after it has appeared. If temps have been lower then ideal that might also be contributing by slowing growth and nutrient uptake.

It sounds like your problem is that you're trying to push your plants faster then they are able to go. This isn't uncommon as lots of people do it but the bottomline is that plants have a timetable bred into them thru millennia of evolution and you just can't speed that up by giving nutes when nutes aren't needed. I wouldn't recommend flushing and no if the guano and lime is the problem I don't think flushing is going to fix that because those are solids that are slowly breaking down in the soil. Flushing is more for removing salt build ups.
I do think it would be a good idea to ph down to 6.3 - 6.4 before feeding, especially with lime in the soil. At a ph of 6.7 to 6.8 you're almost to a 7.0 anyway whether you have lime in the soil of not. Besides 6.7 to 6.8 is at the high end of what is an acceptable ph for soil. The range is like 6.2 to 6.8 so if you make it 6.8 it doesn't take much to push it over that ph edge to 7.0. Conversely making it 6.2 wouldn't take much to push it more acidic. Usually I suggest people shoot for a ph of 6.5 for soil but since you seem to have trouble with the ph going high on you I think for you phing to 6.3-6.4 is probably a bit better.

If it were me I'd just give ph adjusted water for at least the next week and then gradually work the nutrients into your watering schedule. As for the guano, well guano is really more of a flower fert so you probably shouldn't have it in your soil right now but I'd leave things as they are. Trying to transplant if to guano free soil is probably going to do more harm then good.

HempKat

Veteran
yeah man...

this site has got so much bigger, so making things more busy and I don't get to see all the posts or threads, too little time in the day I'm afraid....

Reading back on this thread it looks like you are giving out some sound advice though....

Grow On!

Well thanks, I try to give sound advice although as hard as it may be to believe, even I'm not perfect. :whistling:

piosh

Thx verry much for your advices HempKat. Its true , I see it Im trying to push them to what they cant do.
Yesterday I was about similar decision like you told me - leave them alone , because theyre overfert with my love :D .Im going to adjust pH to levels (in watering) around 6,3 and wait and love them (from distance , no touching, no feeding) :D , after 10-13 days Ill think about start feeding again with lower doses.
THX again for letting me some of your expirience (once again) . K+

these are the ones you were advicing me about:

picture.php

Wilson!

whaz dis bug?

whaz dis bug?

I found this lil thing today. It had spun a web from the clone light frame to a cutting leaf. Is this a mite?

thx,

HempKat

Veteran
Thx verry much for your advices HempKat. Its true , I see it Im trying to push them to what they cant do.
Yesterday I was about similar decision like you told me - leave them alone , because theyre overfert with my love :D .Im going to adjust pH to levels (in watering) around 6,3 and wait and love them (from distance , no touching, no feeding) :D , after 10-13 days Ill think about start feeding again with lower doses.
THX again for letting me some of your expirience (once again) . K+

these are the ones you were advicing me about:

picture.php

That's probably one of the most common problems new growers face, so don't feel bad. It doesn't feel like you're doing harm because everything you do is done with the thought of benefiting the plant. This isn't a great analogy but it's like giving a baby a t-bone steak because you want it to grow up big and strong. The t-bone is a good quality source of nutrition for growing strong but it's too much, too soon. The baby doesn't even have the teeth yet to chew the steak.

HempKat

Veteran

Like you are being told, you could do that but the time to revert to veg (close to a month) combined with the fact that the period of stretch is about 3 weeks long, makes this impractical. You're talking of a period to do this, that would be about 2.5 to 3 months long. Whereas a long veg would usually be considered 2 months long. Another point is that this would make most plants too tall for indoor lights. Even with a 1000W HID you don't want a plant that's bigger then say 4 feet tall. I could see a plant going thru what you're talking about, ending up 6 feet tall or taller which would yield about 2 foot of wasted height that produces no bud.

IGrowTrees

I have a question about cloning..here goes

Im ready to take my first clones ever..I have the rooting powder (Eco Root Root Dip Gel), Scissors, rockwool cubes and 2 10 oz. cups to place the clone in for its own environment.

My question is how do I use the rooting powder? Im just a little confused..do I just mix a little powder in with some good water turning it to gel?

There is directions, but it just says to fill a container with de chlorinated water, let stand for 5 minutes stirring occasioally until it thickens ( Im just assuming that I mix in some of the powder with the water)?, then dip the clone in for 5 seconds.

can someone clarify this for me because Im a newb to cloning.