What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I want to begin by saying a big "thank you" to HempKat for starting this thread. A special word of "thanks" to HK and all the other "old farts" who are willing to take the time to answer the newbie questions that have been asked a million and a half times. It showes just how cooooooool you all really are!!!

Now that the "thank yous" are done, I have a question. Before I started this message, I couldn'tn help but notice that this thread has accumulated a whopping 160 pages since its inception on 3/31/2006! To me, that is quite impressive!! So, why the heck in't there a a subforum with a title like "Old Farts Who Don't Mind Answering Newbie Questions... Over and Over Again," or something like that? It sure would make for an easier read than trying to sift through 160 pages!!!

JMHO!

:smoker:

I hear what you're saying but for one thing to have a seperate sub forum all dedicated to this thread would be something that would need to be directed to and made happen by the site administration. The best I can do which has been done a long time ago, was to make this thread into a sticky so that it's always at the top of the forum it's in.

I don't really see where a seperate sub forum would really make it that much better, maybe at first but after three years, instead of having 160 pages to sort thru you'd have a whole bunch of threads to sort thru. Now while the thread has become an impressive accumulation of info I never really intended it to be something that was to be read from beginning to the end before one asked their question. I do hope that people look back at least a page or two in case anyone has asked something similar recently but ultimately this thread is meant to be a place where you can come and post your question and then get an answer from someone (usually within 24 hours or less).

HempKat

Veteran
Oh... I didn't mean to insinuate that anything was "broke." I just figured it would be a bit easier to scroll through posts to find what you were looking for than it is to look through 160 pages! No foul intended!! Like I said, I think it's a great thread!!!

:smoke:

Well, if you think about it, scrolling thru a bunch of seperate threads wouldn't be all that enlightening because it would look something like this:

A Question

Just A quick Question

Hey can you Old Farts Help me with This?

I got a question

Can you answer my question?

And so on. See you would only see the thread topics as you scrolled thru them and 9 times out of 10 they probably wouldn't have enough info in them to tell you what was discussed. So actually it would probably make it harder because now you'd have to open each thread and read thru them one by one to find out what was discussed. As it is now at least you can go thru several questions asked and answered per page.

bigherb

Veteran
question for the ot's

anyone of the older folks on the boards who has experienced the legendary haze can you give us your description of o.haze/haze bros haze from 70's taste aromas

im more interested in taste and aromas then the high

1luvbigherb

HempKat

Veteran
question for the ot's

anyone of the older folks on the boards who has experienced the legendary haze can you give us your description of o.haze/haze bros haze from 70's taste aromas

im more interested in taste and aromas then the high

1luvbigherb

Well unfortunately I myself can't help you much because I've only had Haze once when I knew it was Haze and maybe a handful of times years before when I had no clue there was even a strain called Haze. I can tell you it is very distinctive and in a good way.

If you've been smoking herb for say 10 years or more there is a good chance you've run into it before because so many like it. The only other thing I can tell you is that it expands alot, at least for me it does. I can't smoke Haze without coughing my head off. At least based on the limited number of times I've smoked it.

Hopefully I'll know more about it in the near future. I have a strain in my grow room right now from Sam The Skunkman that is Original Haze X Skunk #1. It's just in the early veg stage though, I don't even know the sex of them yet let alone how they smell or taste.

Anyway hopefully someone else can come along and tell you more about Haze then I can?

inpain0013

HempKat, I see what you are saying. I thought I had a good idea... oh, well!!! :) Thanks for at least making a sticky out of it!!! :yes:

HempKat

Veteran
HempKat, I see what you are saying. I thought I had a good idea... oh, well!!! :) Thanks for at least making a sticky out of it!!! :yes:

It wasn't a bad idea per se but with the way canna forums generally go, they way people behave and post, it just wouldn't work out as good as it does on the drawing board. :)

HempKat

Veteran
Hey Old Farts! :respect:

So... we have been arguing yesterday with my friend about industrial cannabis.

As I understand industrial cannabis or hemp is grown mainly for its fibre, right?
He stated that he saw and even smoked industrial cannabis.
That did not made any sense to me, since industrial cannabis is grown for its fibre and it is not intended to produce flowers.... or am I wrong?

He also stated that he saw some of these plants and he said that it had huge buds, very sticky and smelly but when you were smoking it you would not get high. They were rolling 5 grams spliffs and they couldn't get high.

Now that confuses me a bit. If the plant is sticky... what else can it make her sticky except trichomes. So... if trichomes were there, giving that "sticky feeling" of buds... what kind of cannabinoids were produced? I know the synthesis: CBG > CBC/CBD > THC and eventualy THC > CBN (degradation product)...

But I cannot explain myself how could buds be sticky and with all terpenoids inside giving the full visual appeal of a real weed... and would not get you high. What the fuck is in the trichomes then?
And first of all.... is it really industrial hemp producing buds? Cause I see no use in it.

In what way you could use flowers of cannabis in industrial production? Oils....? Bio-fuel???

Please enlight me with this industrial stuff...!

Much respect to you all!!!

Well I'm no expert on industrial marijuana but from what I understand the strains used are very low in THC content, like a fraction of plants that can get you high. I bet it's alot like smoking fan leaves or a male plant in that if you smoke enough of it you can get a very mild buzz but you got to smoke so much and it's so harsh that nobody would want to smoke enough to get high.

Anyway I did what I usually do when I don't know something, I googled it and I found this link among others and it gives a pretty good explaination. The only thing this link disagrees with your friend on is that hemp plants are bred to not produce big sticky buds.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/91602/differences_between_industrial_hemp.html?cat=32

HempKat

Veteran
Wow HempKat thanks for the detailed response, Just to let you know the 2 plants are different strains. The one that is not affected is looking amazingly good, and i've inspected it thoroughly to make sure there are no nanners. I gave the hermie plant a good flush last night, and will propbably be cutting in the next few days only because i can see it herming worse and worse every day. I'm afraid that my plant is going to be half hermie growth, that I'd rather not smoke. And also, I am growing legally for medical purposes, so the harvest is just for me to enjoy. I let u guys know how it works out, and once again, thanks for the advice.

Peace,
Medichron:joint:

Ah well if the one is a different strain then I can understand your concern more but still if you harvest a plant so much earlier then it's supposed to be harvested the smoke will have almost no high or medicinal properties. Just so you know, there is nothing wrong with smoking hermied buds, they still get you high. What people hate so much about hermies is that one they will pollenate a crop and when a plant starts producing seeds it's focusing it's energies on that and so less buds and resin are produced. Additionally the seeds will carry the hermie trait which is considered undesirable. On the good side though the seeds will be feminized, it's just that the plants they produce will start popping nanners like the plant the seeds came from.

I don't know if you have the space to do this but one option rather then chopping it so early is to set it up in a seperate, isolated spot under a shoplight or some CFL's and let it finish growing naturally until the resin is fully ripened and then harvest. It won't get much more size to it but at least the smoke will be what it's supposed to be.

One thing to consider about all this is why did that plant hermie? Hermies don't just happen, they happen for a reason, especially if the seeds came from a breeder. The plants produced by seeds coming from a normal plant thru normal pollenation typically don't hermie unless exposed to some form of stress. Probably the most common forms of stress are heat stress and light stress. Heat stress is pretty obvious in that the plant is exposed to higher then ideal temps for prolonged periods. Light stress is the result of the dark part of the light/dark cycle being interupted. If you don't find out why the one plant hermied and fix it your other plants are still at risk.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have smoked weed for 37 consecutive years now. No regrets.
Weed accompanied me on many adventures.
The most interesting aspect was watching the culture as a whole evolve.
The most disturbing is seeing how society has treated the issue, and the ignorance that abounds yet.

Haze and haze heavy hybrids IME have a certain twang to the inhale. It reminds me of something old...maybe the air from an antique trunk...or maybe a non-fruity citrus of some sort (?). I think it was Tom Hill that described the taste of haze as reminiscent of high school metal shop.
I have tasted this taste in many old bag seed plants from mexico and colombia, usually stuff that never ripened.

medichron

Hey everyone, so i need some advice. I have 2 plants 56 days into flowering right now. In the last week or so the last one has started to hermie and is getting bananas and ball like things all over the place. The strain is TW x Herijana, and should be like a 65-75 day flowering strain. Should I start flushing now and chop her down in a week? Or should I just flush for a day or 2 and chop her down? I don't want to risk pollinating my other plant...

Here is the link to my grow thread if you want to see some pics or get more background info: http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=136839

Peace,
Medichron

A

arcticsun

This is one of the best threads here on ic, it totally deserves a sticky! Dont y'all think?!?

:respect:

Gold123

Hey everyone, so i need some advice. I have 2 plants 56 days into flowering right now. In the last week or so the last one has started to hermie and is getting bananas and ball like things all over the place. The strain is TW x Herijana, and should be like a 65-75 day flowering strain. Should I start flushing now and chop her down in a week? Or should I just flush for a day or 2 and chop her down? I don't want to risk pollinating my other plant...

Here is the link to my grow thread if you want to see some pics or get more background info: http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=136839

Peace,
Medichron

If I saw that I would remove it immediately

Latest posts

Latest posts