What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wana breed a new auto any suggestions?

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
i scrapped all my other projects, currently working on the following :

auto ak x critical mass
auto ak x NL

plants are actualy getting dusted some time this week :D

i wish i had some kc brains mango pollen i think that strain would do wonders in the auto world :D

CraftyApe

Not a particular strain as such.

Not a particular strain as such.

My own personal goal is to work toward an auto of my own creation with speed being the goal. Yea having an ok yield would be nice and good smoke even better but one goal at a time. I will probably start with LR2 and try crossing it with some early strains that are not auto and just play about a bit. See what works out best. Any suggestions as to the fastest finishers in your experience that are non autos? There are lots of possible candidates obviously.

penis

My own personal goal is to work toward an auto of my own creation with speed being the goal. Yea having an ok yield would be nice and good smoke even better but one goal at a time. I will probably start with LR2 and try crossing it with some early strains that are not auto and just play about a bit. See what works out best. Any suggestions as to the fastest finishers in your experience that are non autos? There are lots of possible candidates obviously.

I thought about doing this but don't have the setup. Shishkaberry, stuporsonic, c99, and hindu kush, with some phenos of ak were on my outcross list.

The thing is, to get the auto trait you need to inbreed, which causes loss of 'hybrid vigor' known as 'inbreeding depression'. Hybrid vigor is one of those things you need for speed. Even if you get one really fast plant, you need to inbreed to stabilize... you get the idea.

I would suggest finding the fastest hemp weed and breed with that, or use chemicals for genetic mutation, and select accordingly. It is my belief that the existing commercial strains have been optimized enough-- you nor I are the first to attempt this.

I

IceColdCrickets

The thing is, to get the auto trait you need to inbreed, which causes loss of 'hybrid vigor' known as 'inbreeding depression'. Hybrid vigor is one of those things you need for speed. Even if you get one really fast plant, you need to inbreed to stabilize... you get the idea.

This is true but also not true in many ways. Hybrid vigor is applied when the growth rate of the offspring exceed that of the stable P1 parents. So if you used a Haze x LR ,, you would infact produce a faster flowering plant then the original P1 parents on the Haze BUT it would be slower then the pure LR. So, how can you judge hybrid vigor in this cross,, you get the idea...:laughing: Seriously, hybrid vigor is a true condition but has guildlines to follow,, in the end if your Inbred IBL AF and NON-AF for that matter, is healthy, fast, and potent ,, who cares about hybrid vigor.

Oh ,, I see that you care about it,, so here is a brain teaser for ya,, what about TRUE F1 AF Strains? There are a lot of AF strains coming out, and due to the nature of the AF trait being so reccessive, forces the breeders to stablized them through IBLs, in which case it is making for some serious breeding stock for some TRUE F1 AF strains where both P1 parents are 100% AF to begin with. I just made some LowAsis x JEMS ,, I will be doing a test run soon,, I will document any increased growth considered to be hybrid vigor, that exceeds both parents.

Also, Hybrid vigor is not always needed for speed, I have strains that are faster then AFs when put under 12/12 from seed. Pheno dependent of course, Maple Leaf Indica IBL, Pure Deepchunk IBL , HashKhan IBL , SnakeEyes IBL, just to name a few. The HashKhan IBL I have will finish about 7 days early then any AF I have seen so far, averaging 50-55days when put 12/12 from seed. .

Peace, ICC.

F1 afs is interesting but the problem there is this after the initial first cross. I generaly would grow out all my seeds on 20/4 and select only my afs out the whole group and keep inbreeding this way for 3 to 4 generations but now we need to select our male and female from our f3s and backcross the f3 fem with the p1 male thats fine but we cant backcross the f3male to the p1 female cuz thre afs

For example the p1 male we can store the pollem to backcross but we cant take a cutting from the mother for the backcross ( well we pos could but then we would only be able to cause it to go hermi and collect its pollem wich still presents a problem!

Lemme explain using non af strains to create a stable f1 hybrid one would cross to strains together then inbreed the offspring for 2 to 3 generations then they would cross the f3 offspring back to the p1 mother and father wich has been kept alive by taking cuttings then the offsping produced here is crossed together and this results in a stabelized f1 hybrid near on impossible to do with 2 af p1s