What's new

WAMM issues press release supporting medical marijuana dispensaries

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
PRESS RELEASE – For Immediate Release
DATE: Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Manager of the Wo/Men’s Alliance for Medical Marijuana (WAMM).

Santa Cruz, CA. – The Wo/Men’s Alliance for Medical Marijuana (WAMM), would like to voice our concern with the upcoming medical marijuana dispensary ban.

On Thursday, November 19, 2009, the Santa Cruz Planning Commission will hear testimony and discuss the medical marijuana dispensary ban. This will have drastic impacts on patients in Santa Cruz.

In the ordinance, the total number of dispensaries allowed in Santa Cruz would be set to two, the two that are currently operating near Harvey West Park. Presently, the dispensaries are unable to meet the demand for affordable medicine. Limiting the number of dispensaries without creating an avenue for the development of low cost collectives, eliminates competition and in effect creates a financial snare for patients who are forced to pay the high prices or who are pushed into the black market.

We support the dispensary model as long as it is tempered by competition and compassion.

This ordinance also does not address patient collectives, which is the only form of legal access specifically outlined in Senate Bill 420. This glaring omission to patient collectives does nothing to rectify the very problems the city wishes to address with the ordinance.

Furthermore, this ordinance ignores the future of the “Office of Compassionate Use” (ORDINANCE NO. 2005-28) that the City Council voted to implement in 2005. We hope that the City Council recalls that the best way to support patients is not by limiting safe access, but by expanding options.

We know that Santa Cruz is medical marijuana friendly, but this ordinance suggests otherwise by pushing patients into a closed system that supports high costs and no competition. We honor the work that the City Council has undertaken and we hope that they will apply the same diligence with regard to this ordinance.

We encourage all community members, patients, caregivers, and friends and family of medical marijuana patients to voice their opinion at the Planning Commission at 7:00 p.m., Thursday, November 19, 2009. The meeting will take place in City Council Chambers, 809 Center Street, Santa Cruz.

For more information about the Wo/Men’s Alliance for Medical Marijuana and the services we provide for terminally ill medical marijuana patients, please visit our website at http://www.wamm.org.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

meduser180056

Santa Cruz city council hasn't been too friendly as of late with the whole medical situation.

Supposedly as of like 5-6 months ago the city isn't going by the county guidelines anymore and are enforcing the unconstitutional sb420 limits. They say they are waiting for the Kelly case to be decided before deciding on limits till then it's sb420 unless you live in unincorporated areas of the county. They did say they would honor patient collectives that follow the AGs guidelines though so at least there's that I guess.

burnedout

Santa Cruz city council hasn't been too friendly as of late with the whole medical situation.

Supposedly as of like 5-6 months ago the city isn't going by the county guidelines anymore and are enforcing the unconstitutional sb420 limits. They say they are waiting for the Kelly case to be decided before deciding on limits till then it's sb420 unless you live in unincorporated areas of the county. They did say they would honor patient collectives that follow the AGs guidelines though so at least there's that I guess.

That's very hard to believe. Do you have any links to stories/cases backing this info up?

meduser180056

Check out Ben Rice's website he's WAMMs attorney and knows his shit he talks all about it and other restrictions they've put in place specifically regarding collective gardens and out of county members of the collective. Also mentions how Santa Cruz county sheriffs are making more raids then ever. No major announcement was made or anything that I know of either so lots of patients are at risk because they assume county limits are fine.

Owner of SCPC told me the same story...

burnedout

Check out Ben Rice's website he's WAMMs attorney and knows his shit he talks all about it and other restrictions they've put in place specifically regarding collective gardens and out of county members of the collective. Also mentions how Santa Cruz county sheriffs are making more raids then ever. No major announcement was made or anything that I know of either so lots of patients are at risk because they assume county limits are fine.

Owner of SCPC told me the same story...

I don't see anything on his website that says the city of Santa Cruz is enforcing 6/12, or even that they aren't allowing 100sf of canopy. The only thing I could find was that other cities in SC county may not accept the guidelines set forth.

Either way, that's good to know. And his website is pretty informative and a good read. Thanks

B

Blue Dot

WAMM gets it. Supply and availability is what's needed to bring the price down.

They don't get it.

The gov could just set price controls for the two dispensaries that would be allowed.

WAMM is just mad because they would be losing out on their "capitalistic" piece of the pie.

I bet WAMM would really be upset if they had to grow and then supply one of these two dispensaries and could only legally be allowed to be reimbursed a certain rate.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
OMG. WAMM is for profit? In which alternate universe do you live?

You know, up until now I had assumed you were sincere.

kno3brock

They don't get it.

The gov could just set price controls for the two dispensaries that would be allowed.

WAMM is just mad because they would be losing out on their "capitalistic" piece of the pie.

I bet WAMM would really be upset if they had to grow and then supply one of these two dispensaries and could only legally be allowed to be reimbursed a certain rate.

Again Blue Dot you spew your negativity without even knowing what the hell you are talking about!

WAMM is a true collective, from their website:

"We are not a buyer’s club,” we do not sell nor buy marijuana, rather approved clients with a physician's recommendation receive services at no cost."

Doesnt sound too capalistic does it?

They do get it. It is you that does NOT.

One would hope that you have better things to do than troll these forums day in and out.

B

Blue Dot

"We are not a buyer’s club,” we do not sell nor buy marijuana, rather approved clients with a physician's recommendation receive services at no cost."

They are a sellers club. Where does their "capital" funding come from anyway if they make "no cost"?

Are these people independently wealthy AND alturistic?

meduser180056

Wamm is about as nonprofit as it gets bluedot they are terminally Ill patients and don't pay for the medicine they help to cultivate and get it for free basically

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
They are a sellers club. Where does their "capital" funding come from anyway if they make "no cost"?

Are these people independently wealthy AND alturistic?

Holy Fuck...you have been running around here...saying that the sick need Compassionate Care...and when someone is doing it (Well documented...try some research) you disbelieve it because they don't charge $$???
Maybe I am starting to see why you were banned, Flo--:fsu:

B

Blue Dot

Holy Fuck...you have been running around here...saying that the sick need Compassionate Care...and when someone is doing it (Well documented...try some research) you disbelieve it because they don't charge $$???

So you don't believe that two dispensaries with gov price controls could supply the patients in santa cruz (even when supplied by farms like WAMM)?

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
So you don't believe that two dispensaries with gov price controls could supply the patients in santa cruz (even when supplied by farms like WAMM)?

No...I don't believe in anything the Gov controls--
I was talking about you calling WAMM "Capitalistic"

meduser180056

Wamm doesn't produce even a fraction of the amount these two dispensaries go thru. Patients from all over santa Cruz county Monterey county use these dispensaries cuz they r the only 2 in the whole area. It's not just Santa Cruz city patients that go there

Latest posts

Latest posts