What's new

walmart fires medical marijuana patient MI

S

stickey fingers

if they don't understand medical marijuana, they dont understand me! at least with all his millions he will be getting from them, he will never have to pay for medical marijuna again. F***em! :mad: RIP DR JAY

Okiedope

i can't believe this even made the news.

as shitty as it may be, walmart can set their corporate policy however they feel like. outside of this website not everybody agrees with mmj. mj is still illegal just about everywhere in the world, and walmart being a multinational probably won't even consider looking at their policy until they have been sued a few dozen times. you can bet that the corporations will still be firing folks even after mmj is recognized federaly as well. sucks? yes.

imo, cover your own ass and buy a urinator if you work for a company that dt's. don't plan on them changing their mind about mmj any time soon -- boycots or not.

C

CheifnBud2

Boycott. There are plenty of other asshole corporations with cheap products from china.

pushlimits

The Walton family are the evilest people in the United States, who believe capital is more important then human life........ I hope they rot in Hell.

vaped

I have hated walmart since before they started working with the DEA to control meth making supplies. On this one Im not agreeing with what the did by any means but walmart was within the law. Protecting you from being fired is not one of the benefits of your medical marijuana card. Any employer can fire you if he finds out you are using any non prescribed drug. Marijuana is not prescribed it is recomended. Labor Laws are mostly Federal and offer no protection to medical users. My advise never let your boss know about your card and keep doing what we have done for years avoid accidents and try not to get piss tested. I hope one day our card will protect us at work but right now it doesnt.

Everyone here is aware that we are not protected under MMJ law, what we are trying to do is MAKE CHANGES! So thanks for everyones explanation but the POINT is to be heard, not understand the status quo!

vaped

You can be as high as you want at work aslong as your doctor and the pharmacy are your drug dealer. These sure are trying times.

H

headfortrinity

I know this world isn't fair, but firing a very sick person for taking his medicine is just not right. Lets spread the word in the MMJ community, our buying power is worth much more than they realize. If big business is shown this, they will try to appease as to not loose profit. You've got to admit that half the people you see in Walmart look high as fuck, wandering around looking for shit to spend money on. We can spend money at another store just the same as we came there and we're probably better off doing so.
This is my opinion.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
home depot does not allow people to take opiates on the job. I was an employee there and was taking Narco the manager noticed I was a bit off and asked me if I was OK. I told her I was taking Narco for my back injury. I was told I could not stay and had to go home. When I returned they had me talk to the HR and they said I could not take that medication while I was on the job so I had to quite.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree this calls for a boycott.

While Walmart may have the right to terminate this person, it is clearly wrong to have done so given the facts.

Walmart needs to respect the choices a person makes with the approval & recommendation of their doctor, so long as it does not affect their performance on the job.

Take a look at the documentary "The high cost of low prices". There's already enough info for consumers to make up their mind on Walmart.

I would not bank on that and we shouldn't. And if Walmart does something different than the a majority in Michigan has decided then they want to revisit their corporate policies. HR reps make LOTS of mistakes. A person's medical treatment is not public record or one's employer's business. Acting on this means they are in violation of other human rights.

Did they illegally check his medical record, or did he fail a drug test? It sucks, but I bet they were within their rights to fire him - but sure, he should definitely talk to a lawyer.

Walmart is the most sued corporation in the world, so I'm guessing they have some pretty decent lawyers on their side. But some people must win, and I'd definitely be pulling for this guy to be one of them.

B

Blue Dot

I would not bank on that and we shouldn't. And if Walmart does something different than the a majority in Michigan has decided then they want to revisit their corporate policies. HR reps make LOTS of mistakes. A person's medical treatment is not public record or one's employer's business. Acting on this means they are in violation of other human rights.

Ross v. RagingWire

His med rec is not public record but he did consent to being tested after any on the job injury. And it would be perfectly legal also for Walmart to not have hired him in the first place if he didn't consent.

In other words you basically waive rights when accepting most jobs.

We all know rule number 2 of growing is NEVER consent to a search.
If you don't consent to a police search (of your car or home) you don't lose your job but if you don't consent to an employers search of your blood or urine you do lose your job.

In other words, employers have MORE POWER then the police.

How F'ed up is THAT!

Last edited:
Take a look at the documentary "The high cost of low prices". There's already enough info for consumers to make up their mind on Walmart.
Yes, Walmart is bad and does evil things, but it is a symptom of the 'flat earth' trade policies in the US. Every country on Earth ,except the US, has protective trade tariffs. We did for 230 years until Reganomics took them away! When Sam Walton was alive everything in a Walmart was made in the USA. I say this , because boycotts won't work. These are the rules of business here in our country, and they have to be changed first! We don't need 'low low prices' on Chinese,Child Slave Labor, Lead tainted Baby Bottles. What we need is factories here with Union Jobs and an EPA to make sure every product is safe for Human consumption. :2cents:

BigTop

Slightly ironic seeing how many peeps go rolling through the place at 3 am with a cart full of 'hydro to-be' equipment!

Always makes me chuckle out loud as I pass em... been there, done that... ;-)

Latest posts

Latest posts