What's new

Volkswagen Bus Pilot Thread

J

Jeff Lebowski

For those among us who have piloted, currently pilot, or seriously would like to consider piloting a Volkswagen bus/combi/etc., here is your place to gather. I'll start things off with a little information about my beauty. I had a 1971 Volkswagen Bus Deluxe (with the nice trim) with a 1600cc engine. This was the last year VW put that engine in their bus line before beefing it up. She was a beautiful dark blue with a white top and have little to no body damage. I loved this bus dearly, but out of necessity I was forced to sell it by the Mrs. I shouldn't really put blame on her but it makes dealing with the situation a lot easier. The memories I have, although short lived, are forever ingrained within my mind. We are the people driving 55 on the highways, making sure nothing has fallen off and always, and I mean always, have extra belts, cables, oil - basically an auto parts store, on hand in case of emergency. There always is~ Have fun in this thread and post some pics if you'd like. Take care and keep safe on the road.

Oh yeah, if you don't have a fire extinguisher in your Bus, go buy one now!

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
I had one in Germany back in 1965. The 34 HP engine was not exactly zippy and the front shocks were broken, which meant that hitting bumps was a real experience in trying to control a bus that rode like a roller coaster.

J

Jeff Lebowski

Man that's awesome. The suspension on those buses were definitely made to accentuate the bumps in the road.

G

Greyskull

i miss my 63 split window (w/ the little back window and nipple turn signals). It had a rusted thru floorboard, the suspension was garbage, i needed a dip stick to measure how much fuel i had... but I loved the feeling leaning on the wheel looking out and cruising main street in HB. I MISS MY BUS.

when i expand my op one of the things on my "harvest present" list is a 60-67 deluxe microbus. gotta be a walkthru, and the body has to be in good shape.. the rest I will take care of unless I go nuts and spend $20g on a fully restored beauty. Bettee be a good harvest if i want to go that route haha! http://www.colomemotors.com/gallery/main.php

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had a mid 70's bus with 1800 engine,I put a set of used solex dual carbs .Which i was warned ,when installed used, have lots of problems.So driving down the road,the carbs are leaking gass all over the engine,"I didn't know this".I stop at a traffic light..A guy next to me jumps out of his car points and yells "FIRE!!" ...

Ahh shiiit,i jumped out ,opened the top hatch ,then the lower engine lid.And tried to put the fire out with a t-shirt.Then as if angels came from the sky ,a guy in a pickup truck .stops ,jumps out with a fire exstigusher,and puts it out.

That was lucky day,i repaired it and drove it home .And switched to a single weber 32 carb.

Another time in the same bus ,I was up north smoking a morning bowl on the way to a pool contruction job .And hit a deer on opening day hunting season,ran right out in the road,smashed the whole front in ,got up and kept running,i was pissed ,but repaired it with a ton of body work.

Its awesome to see people still into the veedubs,their great when their running .The only thing they, require is a good mechanic...lol

J

Jeff Lebowski

I wouldn't say a good mechanic, only a persistent one. Thank you for exemplifying my warning of fire danger. You were super lucky that deer didn't go through your bay window and play hoof face. I think you can guess how that turns out.

A well restored bus if not mint condition can go upwards of $60,000. Too high for me but to each their own. Any other crazy stories? I thought I had paint chips in weird designs on my bus for a while until I realized they were stickers of the Hawaiian islands. I'm a tard.

its been a dream of mine for a long time to have a bus. split windows are of course the coolest but but i'd be fine with a bay or even settle for a vanagon to do some camping in. I lurk the samba all the time, love it. The main reason i haven't bit the bullet and gotten myself in a bus is because I feel like it would be a cop magnet and everyone would approach your ride with weed on their mind, which I'd like to avoid, considering my numba 1 hobby, ya know?

G

Greyskull

i was browsing those and thought 'WTF why not post em?'

i would LOVE to have something like the red & black deluxe... that is one pimp ride

Attachments

• pre 67 deluxe.jpg
    pre 67 deluxe.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 50
  • cutaway59deluxe.jpg
    cutaway59deluxe.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 52

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
i dream of having a bus one day...the money thay go for nowadays is scary....
suppose i will have to settle for my mk2 golf/rabbit gti i drive at the moment..it lower to the ground than a snakes asshole:headbange.....thats how the dub scean is over hear....

but i shall be adding a subaru to the list in the near future....big turbos and the sound of the thundering flat 4 wooohooooo ...cant wait to get behind the wheel of a subaru again..

boroboro

...suppose i will have to settle for my mk2 golf/rabbit gti i drive at the moment....

MK2 VWs! I had one with a diesel engine, on taller wheels and tires. With about 48 HP it was slower than a drunk sloth, but that little thing went through snow-covered back roads better than any other vehicle I've had.

Easy to fix, also, they're very simple machines.

Dang whats up for this turning into talk about cars with gosh darn radiators?????

Only old rare original splitties can go for big money, and you can still get a splitty in real good shape for under $20G if you're patient....

As for bay windows, they're not too bad...you just need to know how to work on em

Come on you know you want one :) Click on the bus to go shopping!!

Some pics of random busses to make the bus thread cooler!!!

First the classic Spicoli shot...Nice splitty in "real" condition....

22303.jpg

To get back to price...these are the most pricey...the splitty 23 windows.... Luckily I don't like all the windows ..no way I could afford one of these...

108544165_f8fa37627d.jpg

Here's a pre 68 camper...

2008VWTransporter03.jpg

splitty double cabs....they're awesome...I'd love to put a souped up engine in one of these!

doublecab.jpg

Now to the bay windows...68-79 thought they went through a few changes round 72-73....

Here's a pretty standard but cherry two tone bay window....

main_bus.jpg

Last one was a 74...here's a 69 before a few changes (as well as the big change of switching from upright to pancake engine)

014.jpg

Here's a later bay window Westfalia model ... lovely....

2758989.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the busses!

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran

Nice Thread guys and gals! VW buses rock....again.....VW should bring back and custom design one for us stoners, bong holders, trays, secret stash compartments, auto piolet feature, custome wheels and paint, WOW, the possibilities...maybe incorporate the green technology into it....

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I had and 82 Westphalia camper, it was the last year of the air cooled engine, if I remember it was a 2800 fuel injected. I had it whike in the Army and drove it back and forth coast to coast numerous times the Florida Gulf and up the Alcan to Fairbank fro 2 years I think the cold did er inm Blew the motor 100 miles north of the Yukon river and had to get towed to Fairbanks by a buddy took all night, but there wasn't any night in the sumer. Bought rebuilt from Cali. an drove it to Washington on the way to Alabm and traded it in for a Camaro.

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agreed about the fuel injection,nothing but massive headaches.The dual webers are great only if they are bought "new" .The easiest is the single barrell weber pic 32 ,but often people want to pinch out,that xtra bit of performance.Great if ya got the cash ...