What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Viparspectra?

master shake

I can't comment on the older Viparspectra models, but the PAR600 light has exceeded my expectations. I am running one along with a 14.5w 2700k LED bulb at the 4 corners to supplement in a 3x3 area, and couldn't be happier. As a standalone light it would fail greatly at covering a 3' x 3' area effectively, more like a 2 x 2 tent, maybe. With the 4 corner lights off it is very dim at the edges and corners, but with them on it helps a ton. Supplementing is very cheap and makes a huge difference, and just a wild guess has increased my yield ~33%+ by adding 20% more light where it is lacking.

343 watts from the wall (285+4x14.5)
4 plants in 3x3 area, maybe a couple inches more. 1 plant has yielded 90 grams; in jars holding 61% humidity. At this rate 1g/w will be exceeded (~360g), which I think will happen.
The quality is by far the best I have ever grown.. smells, looks, and g/w yield. Granted, I'm using new nutes as well and panda film, but the clone I'm growing and 2 seeds I popped are the most impressive I've seen in my 10 years growing off and on using HPS and CMH 400w. Temps and humidity were much more ideal for growing and controllable, which certainly helped too.

Before flowering even began I was convinced by all the reviews of cheap lights and bashing of this brand that I'd feel lucky to get half the yield. The plan was to research building my own COB, but with the current results it doesn't make much sense. If I had to do it all over again, maybe I'd build my own, but I don't regret getting one and feel no pressure to replace the setup any time soon.

My experience with the 300 watt model is that it is good for small spaces only. The footprint of the light is not that large, and really one plant can max it out. Lack of depth penetration means you will want a shorter plant too. I'm squeezing two smaller plants in but neither plant gets to be in the focal point of the light fully, they have to share it. Not the most desirable scenario and you will get nice tops but alot of larf below.

I do think these lights will grow quality though so there is no debate as to whether they work. Just make sure to get the power you need for the space you are dealing with.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
as stated... i used '3' 300watters in a 3.5x4ft tent and the rate of growth sucked... i gave em to my buddy who is using them for veggin in a closet.. he says he thinks they are better then his 4ft/8bulb fluor-

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I'm using a Vipraspectra 600 + 90 watt red

I'm using a Vipraspectra 600 + 90 watt red

I'm using a Vipraspectra 600 + 90 watt red And things are going O.K. (3X4 Grow box)

My last run I got 70 grams cut and dried. There were problems during this grow, including White Flies.

I'm about 4 weeks into this run and no problems. It's been cold here slowing growth. The buds are forming and white hairs showing. These are Pre-98 Bubbas I have been growing for years.

I'm Vegging 4 Sour Diesel clones under a Vipraspectra 450 in 2X2 tent and they are doing well.

Still working on dialing in the light height and nutes. Everything is looking good. Hoping for a better yield off the Sour Diesel.
:plant grow:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I'm about 4 weeks into this run and no problems. It's been cold here slowing growth. The buds are forming and white hairs showing. These are Pre-98 Bubbas I have been growing for years.

hey 420... r the bubba's from verdantgreen??? my buddy grew one out, n it just didnt grow, so thinking it was a runt, planted '2' more- same growth pattern.... real/real slow- leaves the size of your head, but they grew so slow he shit-canned the other 2... i always wanted to smoke it, but he refuses to pop the other seeds... he says under 1000w hps, he doubts he would have yielded even an oz....

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Yeah that's part of the problem

Yeah that's part of the problem

I've been flowering at 600 watts HPS and Vegging under 315 watts actual CFL's. These were real NorCal Pre-98's and they were slow even under the HPS.

Not giving up :party: Sour Diesel Hybrid is growing much fast than the Bubbas in the veg tent.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I've been flowering at 600 watts HPS and Vegging under 315 watts actual CFL's. These were real NorCal Pre-98's and they were slow even under the HPS.

Not giving up :party: Sour Diesel Hybrid is growing much fast than the Bubbas in the veg tent.

one of our 'keepers' is a sd kush from rez... been growing it for maybe 10years... nice weed...

smartgrower1995

Hello all. Does any one have any experience using viparspecra leds? I got par700 unit and wondered what's the best way to use it ie. Height veg and flower and spectrum setings. Thanks for help

my experience with viparspecra led is horrible, so I will not buy it again, good luck to you

soil margin

Veteran
I've got a 3x3 tent going with a "300w" viparspectra, a 150w solsheet and a 65w quantum board. The vipar is definitely the least efficient and produces about the same amount of light as the 150w solsheet while putting out probably double or triple the heat. I wouldn't buy another one because the extra heat is annoying but the plants seem to grow under it just as well as similar wattage lights.

It also bugs me that they sell a "300w" light that really only pulls 125w from the wall or whatever. Kinda deceptive/misleading to inexperienced customers imo.

The Joker1

I just bought this light for the purpose of keeping bonsai moms in a small cab. I had been using a 150 HPS, but I'm a bit paranoid about the old fixture catching fire after 4 or 5 years.
I have a 600 LED given to me that works good for vegging small moms for cuts. For actual grows I've got a Lumatek digital 600 w HPS and Gavita DE 1000 I'm not getting rid of any time soon.

I think these will be fine. If it's a weak light , that's great because the larger LED I have has the bonsai moms growing a bit too fast and I want them to grow slowly as I rotate seed and clone grows. I would never flower under them as the penetration is just too low in my flower cab. 600 hps is just fine.

Last edited:

The Joker1

Sooo. I have some rooted cuts. Cherry Cookies and Chem D. 2 of each got put under the Viparspectra and 2 under a 250 Lumatek HPS. One week later, the ones under HPS are around 25-50% bigger.

THC123

Veteran
I am also selling my 4 V600 lights after this grow. I was doing SSSDH OJD cut under it. They are growing fast and flowering ok but the buds have way less volume and weight than with my 600 watt HPS, and I am using +1000 actual watts with 4 V600 lights. Bah!!!!

The Joker1

That’s it. My 250hps is in a cooltube making it less efficient, but it’s still blowing the LED away. Threw some under a 600 HPS and they took off. Would never flower under LED. But great for moms in cabs and veg.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I use Viparspectra, and they work great for Veg AND Flower. I see people hating on these all the time, and I can't understand it.

As for excessive heat, that's a joke. These put out maybe 1/20th the heat of even a small HPS.

You do have to be careful about putting them too close to the plant tops, because Yes, there IS such a thing as too much light.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
jellyfish.. which ones you have??? i got the 300w, and if u go by their wattage, the '3' i had should be suff (or close to it) for a 4x3.5ft tent- they were woefully inadequate...