What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
Mayberry's finest!:laughing:

'You go read any book you want on the subject of child discipline and you'll find that every one of them is in favor of bud-nippin. Nip it in the bud!'

- Barney Fife

barney_fife_pipe.jpg

billycw

Veteran
'Hemp workers', engraving created by Lallemand and Levy, published in the 'L'Illustration, journal universel', Paris, France 1860

Hemp_workers_created_by_lallemand_and_levy_published_on_L_Illus1.jpg

billycw

Veteran
Craftsman works on a water pipe, wrapping twine around the stem near Nakhoda Mosque, Kolkata, India. 1944

Craftsman_works_on_pipe_near_Nakhoda_Mosque_-_1944.jpg

billycw

Veteran
'Detective Lieutenants R.S. Hamilton, E.J. Henry, and E.C. Biffle with suspect Adolfo Campos and a suitcase full of smuggled marijuana', Los Angeles, California - Early 1940's

la1.jpg

image.jpg

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
don't mean to plagiarize your picture Billy, but I couldn't resist on this one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 44

PDX Dopesmoker

don't mean to plagiarize your picture Billy, but I couldn't resist on this one!

Yeah I had the same thought seeing that photo. That dude who looks like hes dressed up as FDR's nephew seems to have forgot his social graces lounging on the table like that. Looks awfully relaxed for three piece pin stripes & bifocals.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Australian fighters and a captured Turkish sniper, disguised as a cannabis bush, Gallipoli, 1916.

View Image

:yeahthats
That Turk thought he had the perfect camo! And he almost did....

He just didn't realize that when a couple of Aussies spotted a pot pant, they were going in to chop some buds for later!:biggrin:

billycw

Veteran
Australian fighters and a captured Turkish sniper, disguised as a cannabis bush, Gallipoli, 1916.

Love this photo, great find Jump117! Thank you for sharing:tiphat:

That dude who looks like hes dressed up as FDR's nephew seems to have forgot his social graces lounging on the table like that. Looks awfully relaxed for three piece pin stripes & bifocals.

"FDR's nephew" had me rolling, thanks PDX:laughing:

billycw

Veteran
I touched up this earlier story a bit transferring it to blog, thought I would just repost it.

Happy Easter everyone!

"So high, the highest Hemp"

-'Big Hemp' Slavic Easter song

Mother_and_child_on_a_swing_while_father_and_girl_look_on.jpg

Family around the swing, 1890's

Easter in Full Swing

Across the world families wake Easter morning to hunt for eggs with a huge meal to follow, sliding smoothly into that nice food coma. Moving outside into the yard to enjoy the nice spring weather, many families unknowingly include one of humanities ancient Hemp traditions...

The swing...

intage_Photo_Victorian_Kitty_Cat_Cute_Little_Girl_Persian_Cat_19.jpg

Family around swing, early 1900's

To discover the origins of a holiday still celebrated throughout the world today, we need to look at its ancient 'roots'.

Dating back to at least the Pagan festival of 'Eastra', celebrating the goddess of spring and coinciding with the spring equinox, the holiday was a ancient festival celebrating the end of hemp sowing season.

This ancient Easter party would last 4 days, much like it still does in Slavic villages throughout Europe.

On the morning of the first day of the festival a ancient tradition would take place, the shooing of the birds...

A_farmer_sows_his_seed_while_his_dog_chases_birds_which_are_eati.jpg

'A farmer sows his seed while his dog chases birds which are eating from the bag of seed', Drawing dating from 1100

Armed with brooms, shovels or other imposing objects, villagers would run around their farms with a hoot and a holler scaring away all the birds from the fields and house. Many believe the birds symbolized evil and illness, thus must go in a spring cleaning but this act most likely stemmed from a sowing necessity.

With a freshly seeded hemp field to protect, farmers would need to keep away hungry birds ensuring a successful sow. With necessity a tradition is born!

With the birds chased from the fields, it was time to make these seeds grow.

Cyanotype_Year1895-1900_1.jpg

a Cyanotype photograph of a family around a large swing, dating from 1895-1900

Choosing a spot high on a hill, construction would begin on a giant structure, a swing. The swings were constructed with one purpose in mind, to make the hemp grow...

Legend has it, the higher you swing, the higher your hemp will grow...

With the fate of their hemp on the line, farmers would vie for the largest swings on the highest hills in hopes to be the farmer with the highest hemp in the land.

During the four day celebration, this swing would be the center of the festival, a place to sing, dance and of course swing!

origin_5-fizikas-fakti-kuri-4.jpg

Swinging on Lieldienas (Easter) at festival in Latvia

With the party in full 'swing' special folk songs called 'sūpuoklinė', which imitate the actual swinging in its layering, are sung by the dancing onlookers while villagers swing for the sky.

Many of these songs still hint at their ancient roots...

'Jurgelaici'

Jurgi Jurgi, Jurgelaici

Jurgi Jurgi, Jurgelait

To whom do you curl up?

To whom do you cross the curtain?

I'm curled with a curl

I'll give you a seat

I will give myself a chair

I will plant a girlfriend

I will plant a girlfriend

- liaudies sūpuoklinė daina (Lithuanian swinging Easter folk song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizQFGeKMl4
[YOUTUBE]aizQFGeKMl4[/YOUTUBE]

billycw

Veteran
Easter in Full Swing Continued....

046.jpg

Swing at a Easter Festival Lithuania

The Easter swing sets dotted the hilltops for only 1 week. On the 7th day they were ceremoniously set on fire and burned to the ground. Legend has it the swings are burned to stop a passing witch from swinging on the swing set putting a bad curse on the coming crop.

In pagan times the ashes from the swing bonfire were added as soil amendments in the hemp fields to bring further luck upon the plants.

Why Aren't You Showing Green, Little Hemp?
- Sung by Young Village girls in the Seversky Region/Lithuanian/ sūpuoklinė Folk Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-_C9d25Ns&app=desktop
[YOUTUBE]8b-_C9d25Ns&app=desktop[/YOUTUBE]

Edwardian_Children_Original_Antique_1900s_Belle_poque_French_Ph.jpg

Three girls on a rope swing, French postcard from the early 1900's

Swinging through the crisp Spring breeze on Easter afternoon, you can only smile knowing that today, you swing for hemp!

victorian_girl_swing.jpg

Victorian girl on swing, 1880's

b19ef419000dd5524f4e8a326a63d2a21.jpg

vintage postcard

billycw

Veteran
'Frank J. Long, custom agent with six bags of confiscated marijuana', in San Francisco, California October 16, 1969

Frank_J._Long_custom_agent_with_six_bags_of_confiscated_marijua.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts