What's new

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
Honoring Fresh Green

'A Japanese custom on New Year's Eve, monks in traditional costumes count the last seconds of the old year with an hourglass and welcome the new year by honoring fresh green leaves on a bush.' Japan, 1932

Oud_en_Nieuw-traditie_-_New_Year_s_Eve_custom_3774886396.jpg

One of the most interesting threads on Icmag

One of the most interesting threads on Icmag

Hello Billy

Thank you so much for this interesting thread. Looking forward to a year with more cannabis history!

Happy New Year to you all!! Puff puff

billycw

Veteran
Dervish Smokeout: Iranian dervishes smoking hookah and pipes by Antoin Sevruguin. Tehran, Iran 1901

0_a2d07_5f132137_orig1.jpg

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
:yeahthats

I'm outta rep for the day Billy, but that is very cool!

I bet those dudes had some damn fine hashish!

edit: that guy in the back row, with the long hair, looks wasted!

billycw

Veteran
46825h_lg1.jpg

Brass Princess Mary Box from WW1, 1914

Princess Mary's Box

"In November 1914, the 17-year old Princess Mary created the Sailors & Soldiers Christmas Fund calling on the people of Britain to provide everyone wearing the King’s uniform and serving overseas on Christmas Day 1914 with a ‘gift from the nation’.

The result was the production of an embossed brass box, decorated with a portrait of Princess Mary, which would contain an assortment of gifts. Remarkably, despite a severe shortage of brass, over than 355,000 tins were successfully delivered by the Christmas deadline. When the fund finally closed in 1920, almost £200,000 had been donated for the provision of more than two and a half million boxes with contents."

46825k_lg1.jpg

Princess Mary card included in the Box, 1914

Included in Princess Mary's brass box was a pipe, a pack of cigarettes, a pouch of pipe tobacco, Portraits of the King and Queen, a cabinet card of Princess Mary and a 'Christmas card'.

I'm guessing the Princess Mary cabinet cards were heavily used...

Princess_Mary_s_Christmas_gift_to_servicemen_1914_1.jpg

Full contents of Princess Mary's Box from 1914

46825j_lg11.jpg

Card included in the Princess Mary Box, 1914

134564.jpg

Soldier opening his Princess Mary Box, France 1914

billycw

Veteran
RIP Kees Hoekert...

On New Year's Day 2017 a giant has gone. Kees Hoekert, founder of the Lowlands Weed Company, was a completely unique figure who deserves his nickname 'Grandfather of the Dutch Nederweed'. He died at the age of 88

kees1.jpg

Kees Hoekert in Holland July 31, 1969

"Kees Hoekert proves: Anyone anywhere can grow his own weed free!"

Kees more or less inadvertently started growing weed on his houseboat. Like everyone, he is convinced that you can not grow weed in the Netherlands.

"Then those plants start to grow. Then they suddenly do it! One evening I harvested, dried, everything. Then I think: you know what I'm doing, I'm going to give it a try. I smoke a stick, with the certainty 'that can never be what', and suddenly ... suddenly it happens. I get up. Is that true? Is it possible here too? I walk outside and there, on slippers, I feel the secretions between the different street tiles. This is a miracle! An oil well under my kitchen sink! And then the first thing you will think: sssstttt, say no to anyone. No, I think: tell everyone. We must tell this to everyone, because it is a miracle. That's how I started."

- Kees Hoekert

Kees_en_schoen_klein.jpg

Kees Hoekert 1971

Thank you for sharing the knowledge Kees!

1914384_133912673860_4360140_n.jpg

Kees Hoekert & Robert Jasper Grootveld “Lowland Weed Company” 1971

:smoke out:

billycw

Veteran
Hello Billy, I think there is a little mistake, before the Geishas is the Playboy magazine. Couldn´t be in the 1920s.

Keep up the good work! :)

Nice catch Herman, almost commented on those Playboy's too... Has to be Post 1953 but can't find a correct date associated with the photo, Thank You for pointing that out:tiphat:

billycw

Veteran
Miner Toi Kee displays narcissus grown for the Chinese New Year celebration in Jacksonville, Oregon 1850s

"A genus that is very complex and burdened with numerous uncertainties"

— Schultes & Schultes description of Narcissus (aka Daffodils) from 'Systema Vegetabilium' 1829

Miner_Toi_Kee_displays_narcissus_grown_for_the_Chinese_New_Year.jpg

billycw

Veteran
Still Life with a Glass of Beer, a Pipe, Tobacco and Other Requisites of Smoking (hemp lighter) by Jan Jansz van de Velde in 1658

Long before you could be publicly shamed for using a Bic by the eco friendly crowd, Tokers were already using hemp wicks to spark their bowls

Jan_Jansz._van_de_Velde_Haarlem_1619_20_-_Enkhuzen_or_Amsterdam.jpg

Love how he signed his pieces as a carving in the table:biggrin:

billycw

Veteran
I'll have to see if I can dig that one up StRa, love that era of engravings and writing. Thanks for sharing:smoke out:

billycw

Veteran
'A Treatise on Hemp', book by Robert Wissett in 1808

Title page
A_treatise_on_hemp_book_1808_11.jpg

Plate 1, germination of hemp plants
A_treatise_on_hemp_book_1808_21.jpg

Refers to the Germination of the plants.
a. the Hemp seed
b. the shell which encloses the kernel
c. the kernel
d. the radicle coming forth from between the lobes
e,f,g,h. the same in different stages of its growth
i. the seminal leaves
k. the leaves of the plant beginning to appear; and the lateral roots beginning to shoot out
l. a stalk of hemp, in a more advanced stage of growth
m. a small piece of the bark of the hemp plant, macerated, directed, and viewed through the microscope

Plate 2, the male hemp plant
A_treatise_on_hemp_book_1808_31.jpg

The second plate represents the male hemp.
A. represents a detached leaf with its stipules
B. represents the top of the stem of a male hemp plant
C,F,G. represents the clusters of flowers, the leaflets, and the stipules, which grow on that stalk
H. an unexpanded flower bud
I. a flower bud, beginning to expand
K. full blown or expanded flowers, exposing to view the stamina L.
M,N. a stamen
M. the filament
N. the anthera

Plate 3, the female hemp plant
A_treatise_on_hemp_book_1808_4.jpg

The third plate represents the upper part of a stalk of female hemp.
D,E,O,P,Q . the clusters of seedbuds, the stipules, and the leaves

billycw

Veteran
A Cambodian Army officer exhales marijuana smoke after using a homemade water pipe as a soldier plays guitar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 1973

A_Cambodian_Army_officer_left_exhales_marijuan.jpg

billycw

Veteran
'Dai nijūichi zu' by Harunobu Suzuki in 1770

"Print shows a woman using a long pipe to beat a man who has been spying on her"

Dai_nij_ichi_zu_Suzuki_Harunobu_1770.jpg