What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
"And so with the sunshine and the great burst of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with summer"

- The Great Gatsby, 1925

weeping-willow-4-1919.jpg

Weeping Willow - Claude Monet - 1918

billycw

Veteran
“All I'm writing is just what I feel, that's all. I just keep it almost naked. And probably the words are so bland.”

― Jimi Hendrix

tumblr_lfyw9rkqPq1qb8vpuo1_1280.png

Lovely women with hookah - Lehnert & Landrock - 1920

billycw

Veteran
"Maybe in our world there lives a happy little tree over there."
-Ross

gallery-1446220872-bob-ross-facts-index.jpg

Happy Little Tree's

“Talk to the tree, make friends with it.”
-Ross

Bob Ross was a calm in the storm of the 80's & early 90's. With his soothing calm tone he took you to a world in his head for 30 minutes at a time.

Starting with a blank canvas at the start of every TV show, he would slowly build his peaceful world layering paint upon soul uplifting story until his vision was realized. All within 30 minutes of meditating bliss.

"Trees cover up a multitude of sins"
-Ross

Bob Ross - Happy Trees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n4f-VDjOBE
[YOUTUBEIF]0n4f-VDjOBE[/YOUTUBEIF]

9aea76bd.jpg

Bob Ross

"Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky."
-Ross

Having served in the military for much of his career, Ross found painting to be a peaceful change of pace in life. In addition to painting Ross also rehabilitated animals in his backyard including raccoons, rabbits, robins, crow's and of course his buddies squirrels.

"People look at me like I’m a little strange, when I go around talking to squirrels and rabbits and stuff. That’s ok. Thaaaat’s just ok."
-Ross

With his zen like persona, he had the best phrases while painting like happy trees & fluffy clouds and had a story and soul for each of his creations.

"Clouds are very, very free."
-Ross

Bob Ross: Painting Clouds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXanYjTF18
[YOUTUBEIF]raXanYjTF18[/YOUTUBEIF]

“See how it fades right into nothing. That’s just what you’re looking for.”
-Ross

899e5d8ec61f5520c27b865659de03ed.jpg

Campfire - Bob Ross

“We don’t really know where this goes and I’m not sure we really care.”
-Ross

billycw

Veteran
fe081ef2d817a0d8690008f2e674ad08.jpg

Crowd waiting for the opening of the gates at the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair

1893 chicago world's fair

So many amazing new ideas and technologies were debuted at the 1893 worlds fair in Chicago celebrating 400 years since Columbus landed.

Tesla's Dream City lighting over two hundred thousand electric light bulbs that were illuminated by Tesla's poly phase alternating current system...

3e3bf0dbb482729d14e4075a3075ee88.jpg

The worlds first Ferris Wheel...

columbia10.jpg

And of course whats a fair without stopping at the Midway for the Opium exhibit...

9b88647ba22d03c6d635994a540c87f7.jpg

Opium Den Concession at 1893 Chicago World’s Fair

It was estimated that 1 in 4 Americans went to the 1893 Chicago World's Fair...

billycw

Veteran
"Dawn-sniffing revenant,
Plodder through midnight rain,
Question me again."

- Seamus Heaney

14714618191_d7fcb09c86_o.jpg

image from High Frequency Electric Currents in Medicine and Dentistry (1910) by champion of electro-therapeutics Samuel Howard Monell

MicroRoy

picture.php

Man I had one of these cultivators. Someone stold it and all my fishing poles and tackle.

It was nice cast iron handles hollow with vent holes. Great tool.

billycw

Veteran
Concord Hymn

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.
The foe long since in silence slept;
Alike the conqueror silent sleeps;
And Time the ruined bridge has swept
Down the dark stream which seaward creeps.
On this green bank, by this soft stream,
We set to-day a votive stone;
That memory may their deed redeem,
When, like our sires, our sons are gone.
Spirit, that made those heroes dare
To die, and leave their children free,
Bid Time and Nature gently spare
The shaft we raise to them and thee.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

374px-PyleNationmakersPre1911.jpg

The Nation Makers, by Howard Pyle, c. 1902

First shot's in Americas war on Cannabis

That single moment however dilute to the strings of history when the tides shift swaying centuries of unforgiving's...

That moment when the United States declared cannabis as a "Poison", April 16, 1860...

The New York herald, April 17, 1860
a693b4206fa5b9b45a26cfffa0e1ba15.jpg

New York, 1860

Following a string of suicides and murders where poison was said to be the culprit, Francis M. Rotch introduced a bill into the New York State Senate labeled as a Poison bill.

This Poison bill was to regulate the sale of "Poisons". Earlier bills had been introduced in the U.S but this was the first to include a list of "poisons".

On this list of poisons, "Canabis Indica", making this Americas first regulation of the use of cannabis under law...

The New York herald., February 16, 1860
0864591e90f83ae1819ac577a70879be.jpg

Under New York's 1860 Poison bill, “no person shall sell or give any poison or poisonous substance, without recording in a book to be kept for that purpose, the name of the person receiving said poison, his or her residence (together with the name and residence of some person as witness to such sale), excepting upon the written order or prescription of some regularly authorized practicing physician, whose name and residence shall be attached to such order.”

Adding that the containing vessel be labeled with the name and address of said person and brightly red labeled "Poison"...

The daily dispatch, April 20, 1860
7fca810cdcc2ca961616c2a9e079eccc.jpg

Only 2 years later in 1862 under pressure from the American Pharmaceutical Association, the list of "poisons" in the 1860 poison bill was taken out. Arguing that the list of poisons are too objectionable under the law.

Unable to unravel history first shots had been fired, Americas War on Drugs had begun...

billycw

Veteran
“One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”

― Martin Luther King Jr.

Swimming%2BHole%2B-%2BNorman%2BRockwell%2B-%2B1921%2B-%2B%2BGreat%2BArt%2B-%2BPeter%2BCrawford.jpg

The Swimming Hole - Norman Rockwell c.1921

billycw

Veteran
Inscribed ‘the most humble Riza ‘Abbasi drew it.’

9db7aad97633a7d2cf5cae1c939c36ff.jpg

Nashmi the Archer - Riza 'Abbasi c.1622

b3464b1fbbbfe52e14f126533f137082.jpg

Close up of Nashmi the Archer

billycw

Veteran
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw

Rothschild Rides Coach, of course with a zebra...

1896 London, a little day drinking to break up the day. Ahh but when your in the presence of a day drinking Rothschild aire, Leopold de Rothschild, anything can happen...

Much as drinking with buddies goes, a boost was made, followed by I'm sure a much spirited British debate. Logical outcome to the possibilities presented? A bet is hatched.

Being a Rothschild of course this was no ordinary boost. The boost? Mr Hardy, a accomplished horse rider and trainer, was so talented he could train a team of zebra's to pull a coach through London's streets...

The ace in the hole for Leopold Rothschild? Rothschild's relative, Lord Walter Rothschild, was already known in the family to hook up his prized zebra's to his coach. Trained or not he told the zebra's he was a Rothschild after all...

1732082_orig.jpg

Lord Walter Rothschild with his zebra coach 1895

After Leopold Rothschild was able to get Mr. Hardy to agree to train the zebra's, his boasting bet was set.

2 years later, Mr. Hardy told L. Rothschild the zebra's were ready for London's streets.

At 6am, with the fog still hanging in the air, Leopold Rothschild took to the streets of London with his team of zebra's claiming his day drinking bet...

97V6z2G.jpg

Leopold de Rothschild on the streets of London with his zebra team, 1898

billycw

Veteran
“I did not sleep at all last night. It hurts like the devil! A snowstorm whipping through my soul, wailing like a hundred jackals. Still no obvious symptoms that perforation is imminent, but an oppressive feeling of foreboding hangs over me… This is it… I have to think through the only possible way out: to operate on myself…It’s almost impossible…but I can’t just fold my arms and give up”

-Leonid Rogozov journal entry

_82697771_leonidwithpenguin.jpg

Leonid Rogozov (R) playing with penguins in Antarctica 1961

“A job like any other, a life like any other”

In the most remote outpost in the world, Novolazarevskaya Station in Antarctica, 1961. A Russian team is on a 2 year Antarctic Expedition.

The teams only doctor, Leonid Rogozov, discovers a life threatening problem with a team member that will need immediate surgery to save their life. Problem is he is the one needing the surgery...

“It seems that I have appendicitis. I am keeping quiet about it, even smiling. Why frighten my friends? Who could be of help? A polar explorer’s only encounter with medicine is likely to have been in a dentist’s chair”.

- Leonid Rogozov journal entry

Knowing no other alternative exist for survival, at 2am Rogozov started his own surgery by making the first incision into his own flesh...

"When Rogozov had made the incision and was manipulating his own innards as he removed the appendix, his intestine gurgled, which was highly unpleasant for us; it made one want to turn away, flee, not look—but I kept my head and stayed. Artemev and Teplinsky also held their places, although it later turned out they had both gone quite dizzy and were close to fainting... Rogozov himself was calm and focused on his work, but sweat was running down his face and he frequently asked Teplinsky to wipe his forehead... The operation ended at 4 am local time. By the end, Rogozov was very pale and obviously tired, but he finished everything off."

- Team members and impromptu surgery staff, a driver and meteorologist, who were providing instruments and holding a mirror to observe areas not directly visible

Dr.%2BLeonid%2BRogozov%2Boperating%2Bhimself%2Bto%2Bremove%2Bhis%2Bappendix%2Bin%2BAntarctica%252C%2B1961%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Dr. Leonid Rogozov operating on himself to remove his appendix in Antarctica, 1961

After 30-40 minutes of surgery Dr. Rogozov started taking breaks for "general weakness and vertigo"... A hour and 45 minutes later exhausted, weakened and pale, a success...

“I worked without gloves. It was hard to see. The mirror helps, but it also hinders—after all, it’s showing things backwards. I work mainly by touch. The bleeding is quite heavy, but I take my time—I try to work surely. Opening the peritoneum, I injured the blind gut and had to sew it up. Suddenly it flashed through my mind: there are more injuries here and I didn’t notice them… I grow weaker and weaker, my head starts to spin. Every 4-5 minutes I rest for 20-25 seconds. Finally, here it is, the cursed appendage! With horror I notice the dark stain at its base. That means just a day longer and it would have burst and… At the worst moment of removing the appendix I flagged: my heart seized up and noticeably slowed; my hands felt like rubber. Well, I thought, it’s going to end badly. And all that was left was removing the appendix… And then I realized that, basically, I was already saved”.

- Leonid Rogozov journal entry

28E7266B00000578-3093137-image-a-1_1432542430281.jpg

Leonid Rogozov lying down talking to his friend Yuri Vereschagin days after his self surgery

Leonid Rogozov went back to full duty work 2 weeks after his ordeal, choosing to stay on the expedition for another full year...