What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.

Mystic Funk

got some updated pics of the vintage Mexican.

these are at 9 weeks flower and they don't look like their going to slow down any time soon.

i found some nice phenotypes. some a little more chunky and some wispy.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

M

moose eater

Looks like some happy, healthy green color going on in the long and narrow leaves of some of those sativa blooms, Mystic.

Let me say, without equivocation, "Ooooooo" and "Ahhhhhh" :biggrin:

Doing nicely!!

You're inviting folks over for a taste-testing and assessment of quality in the next month or two, right?? :biggrin:

My GA-3, swept aside by low energy and other tasks at hand, sits now in an opened envelope at the head of my kitchen table. Every now and again, as I pass it, it calls out to me..

"Soon, I hope." I tell it. :)

got some updated pics of the vintage Mexican.

these are at 9 weeks flower and they don't look like their going to slow down any time soon.

i found some nice phenotypes. some a little more chunky and some wispy.

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

peace!
-mystic

Mystic Funk

Looks like some happy, healthy green color going on in the long and narrow leaves of some of those sativa blooms, Mystic.

Let me say, without equivocation, "Ooooooo" and "Ahhhhhh"

Doing nicely!!

You're inviting folks over for a taste-testing and assessment of quality in the next month or two, right??

My GA-3, swept aside by low energy and other tasks at hand, sits now in an opened envelope at the head of my kitchen table. Every now and again, as I pass it, it calls out to me..

"Soon, I hope." I tell it.

thanks man!
yeah the taste testing will be done after a long cure like a good long flowering sativa should be done. after that you can swing by for a test.
i hear where you're coming from not having enough time to start a project like that.
i have so many lines that need to be popped, it's not funny. but some times you just need to say fuck it and go for it all the way.

if you guys like the V-mex, check out my Highland Guerrero i got going. these are a pure line unlike most going around the chat rooms.
some of these will express the famed onion/garlic phenotype.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

ahortator

Veteran
Hello everybody!

Nice pics! I am impatiently waiting for your new methods of sprouting thos womderful vintage seeds!

Greetings ;)

Mystic Funk

Hello everybody!

Nice pics! I am impatiently waiting for your new methods of sprouting thos womderful vintage seeds!

Greetings ;)

i'm sorry, i know it's been awhile since i did any new germ methods, but i have some other plants that need to be done first and then i can get back to business. ;)

thanks for following along!

peace!
-mystic

ctg

Veteran
They look awesome mystic funk. A friend turned me on to copper canyon sat years back were some kick ass phenos in there. Mexican genetics hold some extreme gems.

Last edited:

Miraculous Meds

Lovely work. Ive been wanting to start a worm bin. This just gives me the extra push to give it a go. Any body have increased germination with added ga3 to a test? I plan on doing several strengths.

thanks for sharing,
mm

herbgreen

Veteran
Seed cracking method for old seedstock.

Use a screw-top glass jar, w/ metal lid. Punch a hole thru the lid to fit an air hose. Seal w/ silicone sealant. When dry fill jar w/ water,seeds and if possible, a few drops of DMSO. Screw on lid and attach hose to working fish pump. Leave for 24-48 hrs.
Proceed w/ normal germinating technique. Courtesy of Steve Tuck

posted by Highlighter 2006

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31721&page=3

Mystic Funk

Seed cracking method for old seedstock.

Use a screw-top glass jar, w/ metal lid. Punch a hole thru the lid to fit an air hose. Seal w/ silicone sealant. When dry fill jar w/ water,seeds and if possible, a few drops of DMSO. Screw on lid and attach hose to working fish pump. Leave for 24-48 hrs.
Proceed w/ normal germinating technique. Courtesy of Steve Tuck

posted by Highlighter 2006

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31721&page=3

that's funny, i have heard of the "germination bomb" and i plan on doing this next in a few different ways to see what works best.

thanks for posting up this info!

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

M

moose eater

I read that the other day, then went to the linked thread as well.

I asked myself what the DMSO (a 'carrier') does for the older seeds? The only answer I could come up with is that the DMSO helps to deliver both oxygen and H2O to the seed's 'heart,' or at least brings those things beneath the seed's outer husk, implying that if this technique really works, the seeds don't really need any additional chow, hormones, etc.. ... just better access to air and water.

Anyone else have a clue as to what it is that makes such a process function or why?

Mystic Funk

I read that the other day, then went to the linked thread as well.

I asked myself what the DMSO (a 'carrier') does for the older seeds? The only answer I could come up with is that the DMSO helps to deliver both oxygen and H2O to the seed's 'heart,' or at least brings those things beneath the seed's outer husk, implying that if this technique really works, the seeds don't really need any additional chow, hormones, etc.. ... just better access to air and water.

Anyone else have a clue as to what it is that makes such a process function or why?

hey Moose!
without writing you a book on all of the many uses of DMSO.
one of the uses of it is that it has the ability to penetrate a membrane or even down to a cellular level without damaging it.
so DMSO has solvent like properties and also can be used as a carrier for other things like vitamins and hormones that wouldn't normally be able to reach far down into old seeds like what we want them to.

also old seeds do sometimes needs added sugars, hormones, auxins and nutrients to germinate and this was proven any times by all of us. if this wasn't true all old seeds would pop with simple water alone but that is not the case we are all adding something to the mix, whether it be B1, GA3, sugars, etc...

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

M

moose eater

Thanks Mystic.

My curiosity came from the appearance that the only things being made more accessible in the above-described method are air and water, implying there are no add'l auxins/hormones/nutes/sugars/other feed being given or required, which peaked both curiosity and skepticism.

I guess this is where picking and choosing, and combining 'the best of all worlds (methods)' into one approach might be the Rx: i.e, thus far, what I'm thinking is -very- limited GA-3 (like maybe 50 ppm), a bit of the rooting hormones in limited application in the brief soak, scuffing, oxygenated bath, and a pre-wash with diluted H2O2.. with maybe a drop or three of the B-1+ source(s).

I'm probably one step beyond reading this all by brail, and finding my way in the dark.

But I want to define a path for myself to follow before I take the remaining seeds and risk coming to the point of having nothing left.

Mystic Funk

Hey Moose!
i gave in and went out and bought some DMSO and built the "Germination bomb" even though i'm pretty tight on space. it's bubbling some vintage mexican seeds right now!
i have four jars going now with different recipes and one control.
i will update my finding once i start to see some growth.
the link in the post above is a very short recipe to the "germination bomb" by Highlighter, there are much longer posts than this and many recipes that involve adding GA3, molasses, B1 and more to the germination bomb, and just so you don't waste your time, the GA3 was the worst one with no surviving plants (no shock there), the molasses seeds got very moldy and died slowly and i think the B1 came out on top.
i also have a few more methods i'd like to try with the germination bomb, so stay tuned!

if you would like i can sacrifice some V-mex seeds and test your method as you describe above to see if it will hold up. just let me know how much of each ingredient you want me to use and i do it.

peace!
-mystic

M

moose eater

Thanks Mystic, and very cool of you to offer.

Now I feel like a patron in a restaurant, ordering a steak this way or that, instead of having to take the responsibility of risking burning it, or not. :biggrin:

I'm thinking the first step would be scuffing, very gently along the ridge of the seed's husk/shell. Maybe a fine grit emery paper?

Then the H2O2 3% (diluted 1:10 with distilled H2O) bath for 3-4 hours.

Then a weak GA-3 solution at 50 ppm with distilled H2O (as in, very light) with a couple drops of Super Thrive Vitamin B, either over-night, or ~12 hours..

Then the bubbler as described in the recent post

Then a -very- light (minimal) dusting, like a wisp of powder of Hormex, Clonex, Rootone, or other half-decent rooting powder on either a damp paper towel, or in the immediate area around the planted seed in a soilless sprouting mix such as earth worm castings with Pro-Mix, etc.

Does that sound too convoluted?

In your opinion, can some of what I put forth be combined into fewer steps?

Lastly, if it works, do I win something special?? :biggrin: Fame? Fortune? :biggrin: