What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Cannabis Seeds

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
how does the males structure compare to the females you described?

All the males looked like the intermediate phenos... so quite strechy and with slim leaves, very similar between each other. One of the hermies had nice purple stem so maybe I'll use it for a few separate seeds. But it's getting quite tricky beause males were much faster than females so I had to prune them to sync them with the females. Now it's getting quite slow to harvest a good amount of pollen each time. And one female doesn't even have proper pistils yet to pollinate her! :biggrin:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Some picture updates of the babies. The two most compact purple phenos are gonna be ready quite soon...

Female #2:
picture.php

Female #7:
picture.php

Female #4:

sd5T2i0.jpg

Purple Males, unfortunately one of them was a bit intersex:

picture.php

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
avgDaNf.jpg

0ksWVsv.jpg

I love the dark purple tips! Too bad the plants will be probably ready before they turn full black!

4ESY5Zi.jpg

Vibes! :tiphat:

J-Icky

Some picture updates of the babies. The two most compact purple phenos are gonna be ready quite soon...

Female #2:
View Image

Female #7:
View Image

Female #4:

View Image

Purple Males, unfortunately one of them was a bit intersex:

View Image

View Image

The first 2 pics look amazing. The bright green with the purple topped off with the orange hairs. I would love to see what they look like after they are harvested and dried.

Awesome job growing these. I would love to be able to grow some true landrace genetics but at there is no way I'd be able to properly grow and preserve the genetics of any long flowering sativas.

Keep up the awesome work and please, please post up some pics of the dried flowers.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I :huggg: your plants!
How did they turn out in the end?

Hey bro... from the 8 females I tested I ended a bit dissapointed in terms of potency and effect after reading all those internet rambling about the legendray strain, maybe that made have big expectations. But smell wasn't outstanding either in most plants. Only one had a nice tropical smell but the rest were quite soft in terms of smell, spicy and woody but nothing remarkable or special, I couldn't really say "wow, so that's how the Nam Black smells!" (something that happened before with many other strains).

I was expecting a nice sativa high anyway and decent potency but the strain smoked just like any other decent SE Asian imported bagseed. In fact they resembled a bit to the Philippines Sagada landrace I grew some years ago and she had a strong character too. The smell was more pungent and fruity on this one.

Anyway, potency was quite soft in most females but two of them. From those females, one was a bit relaxing (chilled zen style high) and the other was the only interesting plant in my opinion. The effect was clear and electric, very giggly and active but potency wasn't extreme either. It was quite clean at least.

I definitely prefer the Lamsbread Jamaican I grew side by side with those. This one had such a loud smell and outstanding effect. So actually I'm looking forward to see how performs the Jamaican X Vietnamese F1 cross that I did but I guess I'll move on into the next preservation project. I have some other old Vietnamese seeds from Green Hornet seedbank but I doubt they will even sprout.

In the case of the renowned Vietnamese Black from Dutch Flowers, the strain needs some serious love and selecting higher numbers for decent expressions. Good thing is that there is a lot of variation and potential for those who are willing to work on her. Otherwise, it's just a big name and a raw diamond that needs to be polished. I remember reading similar reports from ACE in the past.

The more of this legendary strains I grow and test, the more I understand they are just strains like any other else and many times the hype and the legend behind them is much bigger than the strains themselves. Or maybe it's that I'm getting to picky with sativas! lol. But I don't really have the time or space to spend years working or improving a strain if the first time that I grow or smoke them, they don't really ring a bell or click something on me. It needs to be love at the first sight, you know?

Vibes.:tiphat:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
And there goes the beautifully shimmering soap bubble, filled with rainbow-coloured unicorn farts... ;(
Yes, I know what you mean! But dam... why that variety?? Ah well, that's life! The most important point for me is aroma, followed by ornamental properties and at least with the latter, your Nam Black have something to show :) .
Lets hope they perform well in your hybrid.

Doc D

I think it may take a large selection to find stellar plants that fit the "dizzying high" and fermented fruit aroma that Viet black is "known" for... I've only experienced Zamalitos selections from last season, but those 3 phenos were selected from hundreds of females. I preferred the two green phenos to the "black" one.

Huesos

Thank you for your honesty. There was the anonymous version and another Vietnamese from DeWeeDalat. One of us will find the hallucinogenic line lol. Whomever finds it send me a pm lol If I find it I will definitely let you know.

About 10 years or so ago, I grew out the nam black. Most phenos were nothing to talk about. Though, I hit one female that was the most debilitating, three dimensional feel, and paranoid inducing. The other one wanted to go 20 feet lol. Turned out to be a male, so I culled it. The most beautiful sativa. I know that if we continue kicking away at the lines, we will eventually hit the mescaline lines :)

Last edited:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I'm sure with big selections of hundreds of plants you can find gold, you can with anything actually. Keep in mind that most elites came from bagseed, accidental or hermie pollinations, so any interesting landrace could have enormous potential compared to this if it's worked thoroughly.

Yeah I've read many different reports on the DeeWee line as well and I still have around the original Overgrow thead by DWD, there were some great reviews and others not so much. I think it was Butcher Bob, Marksurf or Uncle Ben reporting on it some years ago... Charlie Garcia also did a reproduction of the line in the past for ACE, I'm sure someone out there should have some beans .

To be honest, Vietnam is such a big area and Da Lat is a big place where you can source weed from different areas, just like Saigon or any other place. When I researched a bit on those genetics I was pointed out towards Quang Ming and other northern places as most southern weed was grown and imported from Cambodia. I posted a few names before in this same thread.

Hermano Huesos, how did the Jamaican X Viet Black ended? Anything decent from those beans? I have a few Mango Haze X Viet Black as well. :biggrin:

And by the way yes, purple phenos weren't the best smokes but they looked nice. The best female was this one, quite leafy like the rest but decent high for my expectations:

EDAxm4l.jpg

:tiphat:

Dalat Smoke Report

From the jungles of Viet Nam......yeeeeah, that's aboot as exotic as it gits.

Introduced to the community by Di Wee Dalat, this landrace strain is from Dalat, Viet Nam. Cultivated on a plantation there fer decades, it is purported to be the world's most potent cannabis. Upon revisiting the region, Di Wee brought back seeds.

These seeds are from the original batch to come from Viet Nam, and were gifted to me by Uncle Ben. I planted four seeds, two of which germinated, both started flowering as female. The Dalat has a notorious hermaphroditic trait. And true to it's trait, one of the females turned, aboot four weeks into flower...it wuz culled. The remaining female spent it's time in flower heavily stressed...to see if it would hermi...it did not. So I now have one very female Dalat mother.

Vegetated 23 weeks.
Flowered 21.5 weeks, with samples also taken at weeks 14, 15, 16, & 19.
Dried 1 week...8 days to be exact.
Cured 13 weeks currently.

Aroma - The closest description I kin think of is a minty Durban. It is a distinctive, interesting aroma...a plus in my book.

Flavor - Blah...average commercial at best. No distinction here.

Potency - Disappointing. Basically mediocre commercial. The sample at 15 weeks wuz the best in potency, weeks 19 & 21.5 were close.

Now if findin a good smokin mother were my goal...this plant would be compost. But that is not my intention fer this strain...there is no way I want a 20 week strain fer flowering. I am goin to run her again this season, without the stress, and do a re-evaluation of the Smoke Report...see if this girl measures up at all to the hype. I will also be pollinating her this round, to start progeny testing. I still have 15 more seeds of the Dalat as well. I will continue to occasionally grow a couple, searching for "true" parent stock, both males and females...all hermi prone plants will be culled.

Tune in later to see more of ... Butcher Bob Cutz Up !!!

Grow on
Bob

Huesos

Hola Amigo, espero todo bien.

Vietnamese Black x Jamaican, for your viewing pleasure.....

Attachments

• IMG_4335.JPG
    IMG_4335.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4376.JPG
    IMG_4376.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Charlie Garcia also did a reproduction of the line in the past for ACE, I'm sure someone out there should have some beans.

To be precise Mustafunk, charlie got the seeds from old CannabisWorld auctions and he sent me the seeds (thanks kaiki).

I did the Vietnam Black selection and found a very nice female outdoors in 2003. Here are some pics (sorry for the quality).

Vietnam Black line was indeed quite variable and you can find many poor and mediocre plants, hermies too, but there are also very special plants to be found in the line.

Have you ever been in Vietnam and in other places in SE Asia you talk about ?

BTW, if your sagada came from vibes collective then it came from me. I donated the seeds to the collective along with many other sativas like Sri Lanka.

Attachments

• VB Octubre.JPG
    VB Octubre.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 34
  • VB colas.JPG
    VB colas.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 35

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Dalat

Dalat

I was in contact with DWD at that time and had the pleasure to grow his original Dalat seeds.

His Dalat was a real uncrossed true breeding SE asian sativa landrace, almost half of the plants were hermies but there were also very firm ones without hermie traits.

Dalat was similar to the citric lemony thais, with a very refreshing high quality effect, the structure was more columnar and robust than most thais i've tried. Dalat finished 3rd week of December here, reaching more than 3 meters from seed, almost overgrowing the old orange trees beside her.

Here are some pics before harvest (sorry again for the quality), it was a very cold and rainy season but the plant still made it without mold.

To really understand and appreciate the potential of these very tropical sativa lines, you must grow them big, properly, with enough maturation and harvested in the right time, else your experience will be dissapointing.

Attachments

• Dalat colas December.jpg
    Dalat colas December.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Dalat colas December2.jpg
    Dalat colas December2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Dalat December.jpg
    Dalat December.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 36

Huesos

Hola Dubi, nice sativas:biggrin:.

Thanks for your donation to the vibes collective. I've recently begun researching sativas. Most people don't realize that finding the quality lines requires work.

Sorry to deviate, have you researched any lines from Papua New Guinea? I hear you can find some potent lines within.

Latest posts

Latest posts