What's new

Vietnam Black x Thai

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello smokefrogg,

Your VB Thai are looking more on the thai side, nice structure for a pure tropical sativa growing indoors ... it's important to fully eradicate spider mites before flowering cos they can be quite problematic later in such long flowering sativa cycles. I think you can fertilize them a bit more. Good luck and thanks for share them :)

smokefrogg

Veteran
.....today i follow inquest's example, it is pollination day!

i have collected many different pollens that should be pretty good, some from og, island bud, blue satellite 2.2, a tiny bit of true blueberry....however, i am feeling it may be best to just use pollen from the vietnamese black x thai male this time around to make some f1...lol or are these already f1? if so then it'd be f2? shoot i need to do some reading first cuz if these are already f2s then maybe it'd be best to put different pollens on them, hmmmm...

i am happy that the 2 i have in flower have not stretched too much, there is a small restricted india haze in the same tent that stretched so damn much, like 3~4x! both vietnamese black x thai i feel only stretched like .5 x. they are in 1.75gallon planters btw

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3238989&postcount=93

Vietnam Black x Meao Thai

GENETICS

Vietnam Black x Meao Thai. F1 Hybrid

DESCRIPTION

Excellent hybrid of sativas from South East Asia. Our best Vietnam Black,Orient Express's mother, has been pollinated by a Meao Thai male, the exceptional highland Thai developed by Cannabiogen.

Compared to GoldenTiger, Vietnam Black x Thai offers more powerful aroma, higher yield andquicker flowering time, though its flowers are not so dense and powerful.

STRUCTURE

Sativa with a strong and bushy structure, is the most robust Thai hybrid.

BOUQUET

In approximately half of the plants dominate the sweet and sugary flavours,while in the other half, typical wet earthy aroma and coffee are to be found. Deep and long lasting taste in the palate.

HIGH

Warm and expansive effect, stimulating at the begining and then relaxing.

GROWING TIPS

Outdoors: Recommended for tropical/subtropical climates. In more northernclimates we recommend coastal climates with warm autumns.

Indoors: Vietnam Black x Thai is the best adapted Sativa x Meao Thai hybrid for indoor growing.

Recommended light intensity: 600 w/m2.

Flowering time indoors: 12-14 weeks
Flowering time outdoors: Beginning ofNovember.
Yield/m2: Medium-High
Resistence against spider mite: Medium
Resistence against Powdery Mildew: Medium
Resistence against botrytis: High
Resistence against cold: Medium-High

ahhhh okay this is an f1 hybrid! yes i will make f2 with the male vietnamese black x thai pollen!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi smokefrogg,

Yes, your seeds would technically be a F2 generation. If you want to preserve the maxium of genetic diversity but doing a bit of selection, then pollinate your best females with different males. They will probably be ready for a new repot soon. Best wishes!

smokefrogg

Veteran
hi dubi, thank you! unfortunately i only got 1 male that lived long enough for me to collect pollen from

i pollinated 2 of the females which are in flower, just some lower branches. i have 2 more females that are just vegetating, i was thinking to pollenate the lower branches of those as well once i make clones and put the mommies to flower. so that'd be 4 females but only 1 male as a pollen source. i know that isn't a very great sample size at all, i hope the f2s show a bit of variation even though

you said they'd be ready for a repot soon, are you suggesting repotting while they are in mid flower?

thanks again dubi!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello smokefrogg,

Wish you find what you are looking for in your selection, the F2 should produce enough variability to enjoy in the search ;)

You can re pot them between third and half flowering without any problem. They wont stretch more but they root system is still active and growing up so the plants will have plenty of new nutrients for the rest of the flowering. This kind of sativas have a better flowering with enough space and rich soil rather than growing in small pots and abusing of liquid fertilizers.

inquest

For sure Dubi. A good top-dressing of some quality compost and/or a repot involving fresh soil/compost/ferts/rotting stuff.... whatever you wanna call it.... will blow chemical ferts outta the water in my experience. I'm in love with the set it and forget it attitude it has allowed me. :)

Btw, I got some more pics comin soon. ;)

smokefrogg

Veteran
Hello smokefrogg,

Wish you find what you are looking for in your selection, the F2 should produce enough variability to enjoy in the search ;)

You can re pot them between third and half flowering without any problem. They wont stretch more but they root system is still active and growing up so the plants will have plenty of new nutrients for the rest of the flowering. This kind of sativas have a better flowering with enough space and rich soil rather than growing in small pots and abusing of liquid fertilizers.

thank you! i just popped #3 of 4 into the flower area, she will hanging out there for 1 week, i'll take a couple clones and repot her, she's in a 1/2 gallon tall square planter and will be moved most likely into a tall 3 gallon smartpot...do you feel 3 gallons coming up from only 1/2 gallon will be enough?

well she'll be in for a few more days till i can do the transplanting, i feel that #1 and #2 are too far along now, they are well over 1/2 way at 79 days in today so i'll just let them ride in their little 1.75 gallon planters

everything i do feed them is liquid, i'm making teas with bat guano, i use budswell sometimes, and i have this sea kelp fish meal stuff i use a bit of too, whichever it is i will put about 1/2 dose into the water mix and then a fish pump with hose is hooked into it for awhile to mix it all up for me, so that's pretty much it for what i do as far as food, i don't feed a lot, maybe once a week, every week and a half, i will occasionally do a very very light amount in the middle of the week like 1/8 or less of a dose...i hadn't really thought of transplanting into larger planters 1/3 or so of the way through flower, i just received some of those square root brand garden bags so maybe i'll give those a go with one of the clones up potting it at 1/3 or so of the way through hmmm...thanks again dubi!!

inquest

picture.php

Here's #'s 4 and 5 after a reveg and about two months into flower. They were transplanted from the 6 inch square pot from before into these which are roughly equal to ten inch round pots. I transplanted at 2 weeks into flower which I believe really cut down on their stretch. As you can see they are MUCH healthier this time around!! :D Very few dropped leaves this round. ;) Temps are dropping and I'm anxious to see if I get some colors in the next month or so..... Anywho... I'll see you cats around! :wave:

inquest

Oh yeah I forgot to show these off!
picture.php

50 seeds @ .8 grams. 44.3 grams of seed total = about 2768 seeds. I also ended up with over 19 grams of flowers. ;)

C

Cmobile69

Inquest I just read through your journal and I must say fantastic, bravo. You have done an excellent grow and you will be growing this for some time

smokefrogg

Veteran
hello all! well i poked my head into my first 2 flowering girls right before lights out, if my records are right they are 99 days into flowering inside right now, well i had a big ass BANANA right in the middle of a bud, woah!
picture.php

i managed to pluck it without opening it, and promptly flushed the gonad, this girl has been pollinated from an actual male on her lower branches, i wonder though, if this hermaphroditic tendency shows in this particular girl, would i really want to work those seeds? i will have seed from a few other ace vietnamese black x thai girls that so far have not shown any hermaphroditism so i would suppose that those would be the preferred girls to take seed from

...oh yeah, i put out several clones from #1 and #2 over the weekend, just plopped them outside, i did keep 1 mom of each inside, we are at 34*n here and i think these girls are strong enough to make it through to january or so outside, each one of them got transplanted from a 1/2 gallon or smaller to at least a 3 gallon, i am trying out a few of the square root brand garden bags for this, i know it's late but i feel they can make it, and i bet the smoke will be better from the sun than my hps led and t5s ;)

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Sorry to hear about the hermie smokefrogg,

All the released meao thai hybrids had minimal or 0 hermie tendencies and that's surprising considering the tropical genetics involved in the hybrids (thai, vietnameses, hazes, malawi ... ). They were tested mainly outdoors but it's not impossible to find one, especially indoors. I'd avoid this particular plant for breeding.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats on the successful reveg inquest!
She looks very healthy :) Cant wait to see some nice budshots!

Here's #'s 4 and 5 after a reveg and about two months into flower. They were transplanted from the 6 inch square pot from before into these which are roughly equal to ten inch round pots. I transplanted at 2 weeks into flower which I believe really cut down on their stretch. As you can see they are MUCH healthier this time around!! :D Very few dropped leaves this round. ;) Temps are dropping and I'm anxious to see if I get some colors in the next month or so..... Anywho... I'll see you cats around! :wave:

smokefrogg

Veteran
thank you dubi! well i will keep an eye on her and let her finish as long as she doesn't bust out many more, so far that was the only 1 that i saw

some things for my notes that may or may not have effected it, i had given a 1/2 strength dose of budswel a day or 2 prior, i had sprayed with mighty wash about 4 days prior to this and had the hps lamp in this area off for the day aside from 1 hour in the a.m., there was still lighting from an led panel as well as a few t5 strip lights so my thinking was that it would be similar to a cloudy or not so bright day and i've never had problems doing this before, but maybe this particular girl is very sensitive?...not sure if either of those factors could have possibly been a precursor to this or not

i will abstain from using seeds from this one though, there are 3 other girls of this vietnamese black x thai from which i can get seed from so my lil f2 plan is still in full effect

thank you again dubi, man it's day 100 for 2 of them today, i get so excited just thinking about it, i'm guessing about 2 more weeks maybe, that would be about full moon time too hmmm...

smokefrogg

Veteran
...i got a bit concerned about possible hermie pollen messing up my breeding plans with these as well as a couple other girls in the same tent, needless to say i just chopped her and hung her up to dry in an area a few rooms away from the flowering plants

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello smokefrogg,

Im not familiarized with budswell fertilizer but some kind of flowering stimulators affect hormonal plant state, producing a few bannanas or even one or a few male flowers, especially for the more landrace based plants that have not been heavily selected for indoor growing and modern fertilizers.

smokefrogg

Veteran
hi dubi, thanks again for the reply. the budswel is a 0-7-0 npk made up of worm castings, bat guano, and seabird guano

i'm scared of chemicals...so i use a lot of poop based stuff to feed them, so far zero bananas on the others!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Sounds like a particular hermie genetic problem of that plant but im glad the others are having a firm flowering. Keep your garden organic and healthy! :)

smokefrogg

Veteran
thanks dubi! hey the 3rd one i put in to flower is only 2 weeks in, i haven't yet up potted her, she started flowering so fast though, 2 weeks in and a big poof of white pistils everywhere! kind of a shocker for me, haha i am not complaining at all, these are all so different from each other! =)

Latest posts

Latest posts