What's new

Videotaping crooked cops could land YOU in jail

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the dash cams can HELP you if you are being pulled over. if you look into it & say " i do NOT consent to a search of my vehicle" then POOF! goes the typical pig lie in court. a little thing, but...

U

ureapwhatusow

looks like a few more states were added to my american police states to avoid

This is abosolutely outrageous!! I cant believe what this world is turning into. We are in for some dark days ahead my friends. I think a uprising is in order. Im just glad I dont live in the states. Thats not to say its any better here though.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the real question. If citizens cant shoot them with a camera them to protect our selves from police brutality due to a b.s. law, then what will we use for protection? What amendment do we have just for this? hmmmmmm maybe the second?

stupid fucking cops and judges are asking for it. would they rather be on film or an autopsy table?

so I say If you cant film them then you have your hands free for a rifle. Lets see how tuf they are when you have an ar-15 and they have a .45

not surprised its all in democratic states...liberals love the nanny state

And of course, conservatives never tell anyone what they do with their own free will and bodies is wrong, because it is a sin, right? If you are going to play the liberal card, play the conservative card as well, because they are both the same. Both sides want to control individual freedoms.

M

m00nchild

I haven't read this thread, but I thought I'd go ahead and mention that my girlfriend is a paralegal for a constitutional law firm, and we have already done this research over and over again (because we do outings similar to Charlie Veitch's Love Police stuff... Google it if you aren't already familiar!), so I thought I'd chime in for any other Americans reading this:

The Constitution guarantees our rights to film or audio record ANYONE, in ANY PUBLIC PLACE, always. Understand this!!! But the "problem" arises when people don't know their rights, and/or the law. Policemen generally fall into this category. And the truth is, if a false arrest is made, chances are all charges will be dropped and so forth, provided the person arrested doesn't incriminate himself by putting his foot in his mouth. But there are already U.S. Supreme Court cases which have set precedent for the fact that it is NEVER illegal to record or videotape any public place ever. That includes people who are walking around in said public places. According to the Supreme Court, if you are walking around in public, ESPECIALLY civil servants like police, you are subject to being recorded.

So, this case is nothing more than ANY case of police and/or lawmakers using intimidation tactics, and relying on the assumption that the majority of people don't know their rights. I assure you all, the first time anyone decides to sue one of these states or municipalities for infringing on their bill of rights, these laws will be overturned.

This is not the first case of actual laws having been legislated into existence even though they are 100% unconstitutional or unethical, or just plain illegal. And it won;'t be the last, unfortunately.

Fuck America. I can't wait to expatriate my ass OUTTA HERE!!!!! :mad:

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Ah they probably have some exemption for cams in cop cars, evidence n all that
Videos they can play in court to convict you of some crime.

"Video of the beating made all the difference in that case. But if it had caught any conversation between the officers and the student, prosecutors could have treated it as a felony instead of what it was: a necessary bit of transparency in policing."

Going by what I've read it's not illegal to film the cops but it is illegal to take any sound recordings?

Actually Montgomery County police are (were?) fighting the installation of such cameras tooth and nail so it seems to me from observation that they're against appearing in anyone's video. It just makes testi-lying much more difficult and may make people disagree with how the cop saw it.

itisme

Veteran
And they continue stripping us of our Rights and Protections. They aren't even against POLICE BRUTALITY!!!

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
UPDATE:

Gizmodo said:
We've previously covered how, despite camera ubiquity, amateur and journalistic reports of police, security guards, and other authority figures of varying legitimacy intimidating harmless photographers continue to pop up. Popular Mechanics explains why this harassment isn't just wrong, but illegal.

Instances of such intimidation—misguided at best, but often outright thuggish—occur anywhere from shopping malls to public streets, and often go down when citizens attempt to document an arrest or other police action. And while Popular Mechanics' Glenn Harlan Reynolds notes that mall cops may have a legal basis for asking you to put your camera away, public property (such as any sidewalk, street, or municipal area) is always fair game.

Reynolds cites Bert Krages, an attorney specializing in photography law (very cool!), who explains "The general rule is that if something is in a public place, you're entitled to photograph it." And there's nothing in the the Patriot or Homeland Security acts that says otherwise, contrary to what a misinformed officer might try to tell you. You snapping a pic of a police traffic stop is no more a privacy violation than a wide-eyed tourist photographing a Times Square Sbarro.

But what about terrorism? Still not an excuse. As Bruce Schneier, head of security technology for British Telecom points out, the notion that terrorist conspirators photograph their targets is an overblown one: "Look at the 9/11 attacks, the Moscow and London subway bombings, the Fort Hood shooting—no photos." Rather, Reynolds argues, a camera in the hand of every pedestrian can only serve to foil potential plotters.

If you or someone you know is menaced by police who claim you're breaking the law by merely hitting the shutter, Reynolds advises to—politely—ask what legal authority they have to stop you, and to speak with a supervisor. But the only permanent fix will be an emphasis on educating guards and police, or the type of legislation recently introduced by Congressman Edolphus Towns.

supermanlives

Veteran
i have 2 times been not allowed to capture images from an arrest. they went around making sure people with flip phones to shut them. land of the free my ass

M

m00nchild

If the arrest was taking place in a public place, then you had no obligation to stop filming. You volunteered to do so.