What's new

Video editing question due to alleged copyright infringement

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
OK I am going to try to keep this really easy:

Some time back I recorded a video which was picked up & shown by a TV station.

Eventually I lost the original recording due to a past PC failure.

I found the video online (YouTube), copied it and tried to post it on my own YouTube account but the TV station has an automatic copyright block on it preventing any (not only my) video which was copied from their site from being re-posted on YouTube.

I wrote that TV station several emails but kept getting back the same response basically telling me that's what their policy is and to live with it.
YouTube also offers a Copyright dispute process but just alone by looking @ how it gotta be done it's just too much of a headache dealing with.

I would link to that video on here but IC's TOU do not allow disclosing personal info so that's a no go.

My question is can someone please explain how I can "remove" what ever hidden info is in that video allowing YouTube to automatically recognize the Copyright thing in above mentioned (my) video?

:thank you:

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I am not sure if it will work but I would open the video in an editing app and then export it to a new file. One thing though is that the TV station may hold the rights to the video now, did you get any kind of paperwork or anything when you first sent it to them? Did they pay you any money for the video?

STUPPA

Try using stream ripper to "record" it ,or re-encode a copy of it into a different format (mp4,avi etc ) and fill out or blank all info tags before you save.

The artist or creator of the original work retains the copyright BTW , if it was your original work then you either licensed it to the TV company on pre- arranged terms or you allowed them to use it under creative commons agreement under your terms , either way u still retain the rights if you created it. you could force them to take it down if you wanted .

S

Stray

are there credits at the end stating that you had a part in the making of the said 'video'? was it that kind of gig? if a t.v station 'picked' it up as you say,you mean they bought the rights to the material and it's contents? it's a little unclear from what you have posted bro but if that is the case there is little you can do...they will own a digital 'hard' copy of your video/film that they have ingested into a file format for 'youtube' and such....is it that popular a video that you can't just express some form of 'bullshit' for them to take it down and destroy the master tape?..i.e sensitivity issues or summat???
keep on at them...(if it's some sick shit you deserve all you get) lol

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
I have not given distribution rights to anyone...but made the mistake to post that video some time back apparently making it public domain.

And now I have the problem not being able to re-post the video myself...unless I try what you guys suggested or go through the headache of the Copyright dispute process.

The thing is it's not even a spectacular video but just something that particular TV station picked up on and now I can't get rid off.

STUPPA

I post my own music on a few websites on the web and i will only use sites that have a good licensing policy.
A good site will have options for selecting how exactly you want to license your work.

Normally i will select a creative commons license that allows me to distribute my work freely but anyone who uses my work has to give me credit for it , and i retain all the rights.

the prob with alot of sites is their policy is -if you upload it then it becomes their property or you lose rights but this should'nt be the case, any creative works ,music ,film even photos should remain the property of the original owner and all credit should be given to them .

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Problem solved!

I initiated the copyright dispute process YouTube offers by claiming "Public Content" for my video
(since it was shown on a public TV channel) and low and behold not even 24 hours later the blockage that had been put on my video had been removed! :dance013:

tr1ck_

Problem solved!

I initiated the copyright dispute process YouTube offers by claiming "Public Content" for my video
(since it was shown on a public TV channel) and low and behold not even 24 hours later the blockage that had been put on my video had been removed! :dance013:

Im impressed YouTube acted so quickly! I figured something that would have taken longer than it takes to finish a landrace sativa from seed :watchplant:

Latest posts

Latest posts