What's new

Very high CBD strains, which ones?

G

grasspass

If you want CBD seeds ,how about wild hemp from the midwest? [USA] Its probably easier to get a high CBD strain an just breed it separately from your drug strains. Then mix the resin later. Sativex breeds 2 types of plants separately , thc and cbd types , then mixes the 2 resins together and puts them in their solution. [I read this in a post ,Sam Skunkman , I believe]

A

Aeronoob

what aprt of the plant is the CBD located in? since hemp produces hardly any trichs, would that mean CBD is in another part of the plant more like the leafs?

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
If you want CBD seeds ,how about wild hemp from the midwest? [USA] Its probably easier to get a high CBD strain an just breed it separately from your drug strains. Then mix the resin later. Sativex breeds 2 types of plants separately , thc and cbd types , then mixes the 2 resins together and puts them in their solution. [I read this in a post ,Sam Skunkman , I believe]

i think with all the different things we are finding, its safe to say, there are many variables in cannabis, yet to be discovered.

It has been illegal to do any Positive findings of marijuana in scientific studies for decades now...

de145

That cannatonic would be really interesting..read a blurb in hightimes about it..

Equal CBD and THC both around 7%....pretty crazy.

It would be and I'd be very interested in trying it but I can't afford the testing to see what I actually get.

And there's the other problems:

1) I have yet to read a smoke report on it from *anyone*, anywhere. I looked and looked a couple of weeks ago and found nothing. Maybe I missed something. No descriptions of the high, the efficacy for conditions, how it differs from low CBD high THC strains etc.

2) There is zero evidence that the sample tested was anything but a fluke. If someone has bought Cannatonic seeds and provably grown the same equal cbd/thc I'd love to hear about it.

If only those test kits were a little more affordable so we could build up a proper database to help people be a bit more scientific about their medicine.

allouez

The funny thing about that is that the seed makers Resin Seeds originally said in their Cannatonic strain description 20+% something THC, no mention of CBD.
Now they have changed it to 1:1 THC:CBD not disclosing the rather low potency of only ~6%. Just shows how reliable these claims are...
I think it's very questionable to make conclusions about the whole polyhybrid seedline from only 2 samples (probably harvested from clones of the same mother?).

"They" didn't change it. The test results were not done by Resin Seeds. Though yeah like almost all other breeders, they probably pulled the +20% number out of their ass. Or maybe it was from a real test. Their Cannatonic could have mostly THC phenos as well as 50/50 CBD/THC phenos.

Honkytonk

Dude, "they" changed it (the info on their website) according to the 'test results'.
Which of the parents involved could be responsible for incredibly high CBD plants from those seeds?
Afaik the parent plants (MK Ultra, G13 Haze) involved aren't known for high CBD at all and believe it or not, genes for high CBD production don't pop up spontaneously out of nowhere.
Assuming that the test results are legit, how common would that 1:1 THC:CBD chemotype be in Cannatonic plants?

de145

Dude, "they" changed it (the info on their website) according to the 'test results'.
Which of the parents involved could be responsible for incredibly high CBD plants from those seeds?
Afaik the parent plants (MK Ultra, G13 Haze) involved aren't known for high CBD at all and believe it or not, genes for high CBD production don't pop up spontaneously out of nowhere.
Assuming that the test results are legit, how common would that 1:1 THC:CBD chemotype be in Cannatonic plants?

Actually from my limited knowledge of genetics that's exactly what can happen, the genes are there, they're are just not *expressed* until the right conditions come along.

Gene expression is a fascinating thing and we're all going to hear a lot more about it in terms of our health and fitness in the near future.

Honkytonk

The presence of the right genes for high levels of CBD (BD allele) in cannabis plants is a matter of inheritance.
A plant without the BD allele does not produce high levels of CBD. No matter how right the conditions are.
If the parents are high THC/low to none CBD the offspring will not be high CBD chemotypes.
In the case of Cannatonic it's probably easier to find high CBD plants among it's parents than in Cannatonic itself.
Again, what are the odds? Neither Mk Ultra nor G13 Haze have been associated with high levels of CBD...

de145

The presence of the right genes for high levels of CBD (BD allele) in cannabis plants is a matter of inheritance.
A plant without the BD allele does not produce high levels of CBD. No matter how right the conditions are.
If the parents are high THC/low to none CBD the offspring will not be high CBD chemotypes.
In the case of Cannatonic it's probably easier to find high CBD plants among it's parents than in Cannatonic itself.
Again, what are the odds? Neither Mk Ultra nor G13 Haze have been associated with high levels of CBD...

Um...so then by what you're saying in the first part of your message theres no possibility of Cannatonic really having *any* cbd because neither parent has any significant amount? Or were you replying to someone else or just posting information in general? :)

Are you saying that gene expression plays no part in cbd/thc levels because that would be something I've never heard before and would be surprising?

Honkytonk

Um...so then by what you're saying in the first part of your message theres no possibility of Cannatonic really having *any* cbd because neither parent has any significant amount? Or were you replying to someone else or just posting information in general? :)

Possible, but not very probable.
The question remains: How many plants from the Cannatonic seedline will in fact have a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio?
More testing is needed before making conclusions.
Based on what information can be found about Cannatonic's parents and the fact that only 2 samples were used in testing, I think it's very unlikely that a 1:1 THC/CBD ratio describes the majority of plants of the Cannatonic seedline accurately.

Are you saying that gene expression plays no part in cbd/thc levels because that would be something I've never heard before and would be surprising?

If the THC/CBD ratio were a mere matter of gene expression due to the 'right conditions' wouldn't that mean that all plants can have high CBD? Why are people looking for high CBD strains instead of what the 'right conditions' are?

Surprise: An organism can only express genes that it inherited from it's parents. Mutation being the exception to the rule.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
Possible, but not very probable.
The question remains: How many plants from the Cannatonic seedline will in fact have a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio?
More testing is needed before making conclusions.
Based on what information can be found about Cannatonic's parents and the fact that only 2 samples were used in testing, I think it's very unlikely that a 1:1 THC/CBD ratio describes the majority of plants of the Cannatonic seedline accurately.

If the THC/CBD ratio were a mere matter of gene expression due to the 'right conditions' wouldn't that mean that all plants can have high CBD? Why are people looking for high CBD strains instead of what the 'right conditions' are?

Surprise: An organism can only express genes that it inherited from it's parents. Mutation being the exception to the rule.

There are so many different cannabanoids a 1 to 1 ratio would be impossible to judge, and every bud ripens at different stages. The best way to tell, is to harvest a little bit every 4 days, starting at day depending on the strain, on a 60 day strain, start on day 55, maybe even 50, all clear heads, 55 clear and cloudy maybe 1 amber, day 60, 20% amber, 40% cloudy 40% clear. then day 65, lot more amber to brown, then maybe take it to almost 90% or 100 percent all amber to brown.

This you can test every single one, I highly recommended the patients of drying, and curing, as a bud does not ripe until properly cured.

This is how i tested all my strains, for Pain killing reasons, appetite, and sleeping!

My results, i found a 20% amber to 40% cloudy 40% clear to be what best fit my needs. Some say its a degrading of THC, i think its a different type of effect.

SCF

Honkytonk

The Inheritance of Chemical Phenotype in Cannabis sativa L.
Etienne P. M. de Meijer1,a, Manuela Bagattab, Andrea Carbonib, Paola Crucittib, V. M. Cristiana Moliternib, Paolo Ranallib, and Giuseppe Mandolinob

...the tripartite distribution of CBD/THC ratios in most populations is likely to underlie a discrete inheritance of the chemotype trait. Indeed, most authors agree that cannabinoid profiles are under strong genetic control. According to BEUTLER and DER MANDEROSIAN 1978, the ratio of CBD/THC is a chemical marker of taxonomic significance. FOURNIER et al. 1987 stated that the cannabinoid profile of each plant—and therefore its CBD/THC ratio—is chiefly dependent on its genetic background and that each individual plant invariably belongs to its distinct chemical group throughout its life cycle.

Marijuana Botany

An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis
by Robert Connell Clarke

By the pre-floral stage the plant has already established its basic chemotype as a fiber or drug strain. A fiber strain rarely produces more than 2% THC, even under perfect agricultural conditions. This indicates that a strain either produces some varying amount of THC (up to 13%) and little CBD and is termed a drug strain or produces practically no THC and high CBD and is termed a fiber strain, This is genetically controlled.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
The Inheritance of Chemical Phenotype in Cannabis sativa L.
Etienne P. M. de Meijer1,a, Manuela Bagattab, Andrea Carbonib, Paola Crucittib, V. M. Cristiana Moliternib, Paolo Ranallib, and Giuseppe Mandolinob

Marijuana Botany

An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis
by Robert Connell Clarke

yeah, seems Indica's defiantly have more CBD/ CBN or redish type heads on the Trichs. Vs. Sativa's that never really turn more than a hazy clear. Different types of highs.

Maybe that just means they are more susceptible to damage to the THC? Also maybe in reality the bud is ripening more anyways, and creates a more full body type of high. Either way, i love my kushs, and indica's. But some sativa's. are golden! Marijuana is just great. I love it.

SCF

Honkytonk

My quotes above deal with Cannabis Sativa L. which encompasses

Cannabis Sativa L. Subsp. Sativa and Cannabis Sativa L. Subsp. Indica.
What was said is true for sativas and indicas alike.

The discoloration of clear trichomes is caused by degradation of THC, CBD, CBC, etc. into their respective degradation products (CBN, Canabielsoin, Cannabicyclol, etc.). Someone pointed that already out.
It's not a sign of high CBD content.

2 things to learn:

1. The offspring of drugtype plants (high THC/low CBD) will not have intermediate THC/CBD nor pure CBD plants.

2. Growing conditions and time of harvest do NOT change drugtype plants (high THC/low CBD) into intermediate (THC/CBD) or fibertype (high CBD/low THC) plants.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran

The discoloration of clear trichomes is caused by degradation of THC, CBD, CBC, etc. into their respective degradation products (CBN, Canabielsoin, Cannabicyclol, etc.). Someone pointed that already out.

2 things to learn:

1. The offspring of drugtype plants (high THC/low CBD) will not have intermediate THC/CBD nor pure CBD plants.

2. Growing conditions and time of harvest do NOT change drugtype plants (high THC/low CBD) into intermediate (THC/CBD) or fibertype (high CBD/low THC) plants.

Thats a hard one to swollow. Harvest times are very much related to different types of highs. Regardless of the chemical structure. So it does change the drug type. If you harvest 2 weeks into flowering, you will be lucky to have any trichs. If you harvest 2 weeks to late, most the HEADS, of the trichs will have Fallen off, thus loosing a lot of the chemo type that is created by trichs. So harvest times, and strain related is very much the determination of such qualities a patient may desire. Rather less of a "high" effect, but still get the binding recepters chemotypes.

Honkytonk

It's only hard to swallow if one is confused about the meaning of cannabinoid level, THC/CBD ratio, cannabinoid profile and chemotype.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Believe it or not, from what I can tell many autoflowering pure Lowryder plants are quite high in CBD which makes alot of sense really in considering their mixed genetic background which includes Ruderalis. I feel this definitely lends to the appearence of plants expressing the correct high CBD gene instead of being THC dominant. This is also why many people have said that "lowryder is not very potent" but having grown many myself I know it can be VERY potent in some plants and others seemingly do not get you very high despite being greasy and resinous at maturity, those are the ones I believe to be the high CBD specimens but of course being autoflowering they can't be cloned. Just smoked! :joint:

Just thought I would throw that out there! :canabis:

de145

2 things to learn:

I'm confused your first point doesn't make sense to me: You say the offspring of high thc low cbd will not have intermediate TCH/CBD however the Cannatonic sample tested appears to directly contradict what you're saying. Are you saying they "juked" the sample deceptively?

When I grow from seeds, depending on the parents I end up with a highly variable set of phenotypes, appearance, smell, physical characteristics, degree of effect can all differ, are you saying that thc/cbd are exempt from this process?

Even a highly inbred line differs quite noticeably in the offspring.

As for your second point, I would love to see someone put their mass spectrometer to good use and test samples taken at weekly intervals before and after typical harvest to see the actual chemical composition.

I see a lot of people posting information with an implication of authority but a lot of people do that and a lot of them conflict with each other so until I see some lab results I remain skeptical.

People often repeat information from decades old books on cannabis, that seems to be where we're at for the most part, on the other hand there are groups like Harbourside Health Center and private labs willing to do mass spectrometer tests that could definitively clear up a whole host of myths and plain old bad information surrounding cannabis and do a wider public service for all of us and yet no one seems interested or is not publishing the data.

I still read posts from people insisting that a cannabis plant can not produce THC and CBD at the same time, that they are somehow working against each other, yet if the sample of Cannatonic is to be believed that's simply not the case.

Others state that the levels of THC / CBD are fixed genetically and can not be influenced by growing conditions or time of harvest and yet so much else about the plant quite clearly *is* affected by these things so I'm not sure how they are so certain.

Now you're stating that if both parents are high thc low CBD that they can *not* have offspring with balanced thc/cbd when clearly this is not the case if the Cannatonic sample is to be believed.

I think the only thing we can really do on our own is evaluate the high and effect we get from smoking, try to figure out what a balanced CBD / THC medication feels like and how it differs from a high or THC only effect and then use that info to roughly find strains and phenotypes that produce what we need and clone the hell out of that plant when we find it. :)

tSoG

Well, I'm in the process of reading this thread, but I've got some questions, and hopefully can get an answer quickly. Just found out mom has cancer, it's small enough that cutting it out, and radiation may work, but I'd prefer to give it another kick in the ass. CBD has been shown to interact with this particular cancer quite violently, and successfully. I don't live with my parents, and they have no way of growing, so I'm going to for her. laws be damned, if I can help my mother.

sorry for ranting. I just want to know what strains are high CBD content. I don't care about what they look like, how strong they smell, how easy to grow, how long to flower, etc. I jus want some high CBD strains, and the sooner the better, which is why I'm committing the forum sin of posting before reading. I plan on reading through this thread even if I get my answer. I don't own a mass spectrometer, so is there another way to test for CBD content, so I can outcross for CBD content??

please point me in the right direction folks, and thanks in advance for your help!

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
Well, I'm in the process of reading this thread, but I've got some questions, and hopefully can get an answer quickly. Just found out mom has cancer, it's small enough that cutting it out, and radiation may work, but I'd prefer to give it another kick in the ass. CBD has been shown to interact with this particular cancer quite violently, and successfully. I don't live with my parents, and they have no way of growing, so I'm going to for her. laws be damned, if I can help my mother.

sorry for ranting. I just want to know what strains are high CBD content. I don't care about what they look like, how strong they smell, how easy to grow, how long to flower, etc. I jus want some high CBD strains, and the sooner the better, which is why I'm committing the forum sin of posting before reading. I plan on reading through this thread even if I get my answer. I don't own a mass spectrometer, so is there another way to test for CBD content, so I can outcross for CBD content??

please point me in the right direction folks, and thanks in advance for your help!

og kush has a confirmed 2 percent CBD content. I heard there is another strain floating around that may have up to 5 percent.

But pretty much, any narcotic like indica, is going to have a good amount of it. If you stick to indica based Strains, you will be fine. It is not true that only Ditch weed is high in CBD.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/watch-this/New_Cannabis_Strain_Strips_Away_Debilitating_Buzz_Bay_Area.html

Latest posts

Latest posts