What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Very early sexing without cloning?

Betterhaff

Veteran
I'm going through pictures of calyxes trying to determine which is which. I suppose when I get to that point, if I'm unsure..it's a matter of waiting a day or two for a female to reveal if she's going to.
Female preflowers are more pear shape and pistils, stigmas actually, will eventually show (the dead giveaway), male preflowers look more like footballs (US). I use a 30X loupe. Once you get the hang of distinguishing them it’s easy.

Thanks again Budley. That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. :dance013:

Side by side you can see the pear shape Betterhaff mentions. I've got two baggers going from an old tin of seeds I kept. They're REALLY old so out of 16 seeds I've gotten 2 sprouts and I feel lucky to have gotten that many. Grow-bloc'ed 'em today.

Hope I don't get two lemons.
tumbleweed.gif

Smoke on..

daf

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

I think that last line will make a fine addition to my signature:tiphat:

Also MMMP Patient..working on giving myself care right now. Interesting thing about being in a state with MM cards is that when prohibition ends..we've got souvenirs to show the grandkids. :D Been smoking since '82 without a single drug related conviction..had plenty of sacks stolen, dumped and smoked in front of me by cops though. :wallbash:

The fact that this nightmare is coming to an end is amazing. Bout time.

Favorite line on the whole card?
"Authorized to possess plants? YES"

Smoke on brethren..

daf

Budley Doright

Veteran
Thanks again Budley. That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. :dance013:

Side by side you can see the pear shape Betterhaff mentions. I've got two baggers going from an old tin of seeds I kept. They're REALLY old so out of 16 seeds I've gotten 2 sprouts and I feel lucky to have gotten that many. Grow-bloc'ed 'em today.

Hope I don't get two lemons.View Image

Smoke on..

daf

Those pics are rookie shit.....

When I say early....I mean early.....:biggrin:

I was going to send you a pm..... I see I cant cause you are a rookie puke or something...

There is a clone place in ann arbor called genotype a2....

get some clones..... grow like a real man.....

lol

Heheh.

Yea well for now..I'm going to grow on a wing and a prayer until this crop comes through. :D Then maybe I'll be able to afford to man it up a bit. :plant grow:

I'll post pics of my DIY grow room when I do my intro page. (Just as a curiosity of redneck construction.) It's been all about cobble together and make it work.

I do have TWO top grade clones going right now. But I had a third die from root aphid infection, so I'm trying to recoup with some bag beans.

Thanks for the clone tip though. ;) And again for the info. :respect:

Smoke on brother..

daf

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive thrown plants into 12/12 till show sex7-10 daze then back to veg without missing a beat,
documented a test with a couple diffrent ones on another site

This is strain dependant id say too, sour bubble girls long to show, maybe 14 days or a few more too long for a quick flip back,

IE: sometimes they will reveg if it takes too long of 12/12

I'm currently studying the one girl I have at about a month. I can see them, but at this stage in my studies, I'm getting a bit confused by new leaf growth..

daf

Budley Doright

Veteran
There are sort of like 3 types of preflowers....

male

female

undifferentiated..

Look only at the highest clear node....

not the little fuzzy top....

I am slightly skeptical of this method.....

There is a thread here.....called something like

12-12 from seed

A plant will only show sex when its sexually mature....

and you still have to find the preflowers anyway....

Its best to find a good glass for magnification and get small....

As far as flowering a cutting.... I dont like that idea much at all....

I dont think its any faster than leaving the plant intact and learning to see the early signs....

Taking a clone and sexing it while still vegging your plants is a viable way to not lose veg time and still sex. I've definitely run into veg delays due to sexing some strains, so this works for me.

I've easily popped a 1000 seeds over the years and I've never had one show sex in 3 weeks, even when 12/12 from start. Someone referenced a 3 week possibility, I'm sceptical but open to learning. I'm at 6 weeks on some Sour Bubble and still have a couple I'm not sure about. My C99 mother showed preflowers at 4 1/2 weeks under 24/0, so Genetics are also a factor.