Vertical Vs Horizontal lighting

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good discussion and posts guys :tiphat:

some good points raised that i wanted to comment on.

Plant Numbers Dictate yields - i agree that this is largely BS and, given that in most places where growing is illegal, certainly UK, that PLANT NUMBERS DICTATE PRISON SENTENCES - i think thats its an irresponsible thing to bandy about. sure in some systems your plant numbers will influence your yields, as will a whole raft of other things. ive debated this with DHF, who im sure killed it with his vertical systems, and eventually he acknowledged that it is not the whole story. There are many ways to get high yields, not just one, and not all of them involve high plant counts.
its always a mistake to presume that just because something worked really well for you - that it will also work just as well for everyone else and that it is the ONLY way to do it.

Veg time - i agree that it should be taken into account in any accurate calculations... but lets face it you can veg plants just fine under very low wattages of light... at the same time the power consumed in rooting large numbers of cuts should be taken into account, and changing the name of vegging to 'pre-vegging' means very little, it still uses power that should be taken into account.
i can veg my plants under 5-10% of the lighting wattage that i flower them under, and i veg for 2-4 weeks, most of that in my mum cab where the tubes would be on anyway (i keep my half a dozen or so mums and vegging plants under 42watts of T5, the last two weeks of veg i get my 4 plants under 44W of LED. and i can root 8 cuts under a 9w cfl, no bubbler or any other power used.

size of grow in relation to gpw yield - i agree that small grows seem to get better efficiency, but the only reason for this can be that small grows are more efficiently managed with greater attention to detail. lets face it a 1000 gives out about 10% more light than 4 x 250.

what it comes down to is making sure that whatever way you choose - do it well and you will get good yields.

VG

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Im doing a vertical right now and can say the light is more intense, Im able to get the plants with in 8inches of a 600w bare bulb and the plants love it.

But it has its up and down IMO. If you want to do a SOG then a horizontal bulb would be my picking. If I had the opportunity to train longer, run a scrog, then I would do a vertical bulb.

It all depends but if you have the time to veg for 30 days and then flower, you will yield more with larger plants running a vert bulb then you would with a hort. bulb.

I also dont have to run all the ducting like I did running a horizontal bulb. I just extract the air at the ceiling level and have a fan below the bulb at ground level blowing cool air across the bulb on low setting. You do need some type of eye wear to protect your eyes. The light really is intense and your getting the full grunt of it so protect your eyes!

Edit*******
This journal was my inspiration to convert to vertical. He ran such a simple garden and yield something like 1.34GPW I think. Using a single 600w light he pulled 675g+ I believe. Thats freaking awesome!

Check it out:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=217720&page=11

DrFever

Veteran
running vertical is only goof for eco systems vertical set ups other then that your wasteing your time having a as above post mentioned he gets his lights closer to plant my self running horizontal i get my 1000's no ducted 12 - 14" from tops creating huge colas bigger then out door
http://www.anything-grows.com/eco-system-2-18-slabs-included this is what vertical is all about
not doing vertical in sog's or scrogs as you want the the power going on buds just look at a street light is the bulb vertical lol NOT
would love to challenge any vert grower to 16 plant 15 pound harvest dual they will never get it Also noted that most all big comercial grow ops you see on youtube is horizontal not vertical many comercial growers will hang some vert inbetween but its not there main power to actually get them buds done

DrFever

Veteran
Im doing a vertical right now and can say the light is more intense, Im able to get the plants with in 8inches of a 600w bare bulb and the plants love it.

But it has its up and down IMO. If you want to do a SOG then a horizontal bulb would be my picking. If I had the opportunity to train longer, run a scrog, then I would do a vertical bulb.

It all depends but if you have the time to veg for 30 days and then flower, you will yield more with larger plants running a vert bulb then you would with a hort. bulb.

I also dont have to run all the ducting like I did running a horizontal bulb. I just extract the air at the ceiling level and have a fan below the bulb at ground level blowing cool air across the bulb on low setting. You do need some type of eye wear to protect your eyes. The light really is intense and your getting the full grunt of it so protect your eyes!

Edit*******
This journal was my inspiration to convert to vertical. He ran such a simple garden and yield something like 1.34GPW I think. Using a single 600w light he pulled 675g+ I believe. Thats freaking awesome!

Check it out:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=217720&page=11

:laughing::laughing::laughing:^^^^^ i can guarntee you thats not 675 gram plant :)) heres is 1816 gram wet plant gave me a pound dry do you see any difference ??? the screen is one plant trimmed :tiphat:

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
So your saying that you can get 1lb per plant in horizontal scrog but vertical commercial growers cannot get 1lb plants in a vertical lighting layout (checkerboard style) where they have 1 plant surrounded by vertical lamps on 3-4 sides?

o are plants
x are lights

xoxox
oxoxo
xoxox

Lots of commercial tree growers grow this way.. have a look around. Small grows like yours..sure scrog works great.. but large tree grows with lights surround lots of trees is very effective at achieving heavy weight plants.

Its pretty common for folks to get close to 10lbs out of a 10x10 room with 4 plants - 5 lights.

x o x
o x o
x o x

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
:laughing::laughing::laughing:^^^^^ i can guarntee you thats not 675 gram plant :)) heres is 1816 gram wet plant gave me a pound dry do you see any difference ??? the screen is one plant trimmed :tiphat:

I have one strain that I have to smash a ounce down to get it into a quart jar. I have another strain that will barely get over a half quart with a ounce. I don't fall for that this is a ounce and that is not. You still have not shown me where a hood is still better than a vert bulb. I may be a little hard headed. I still believe that it has more to do with your grow method then how you place your bulb.

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i am one of them comercial growers :)) 125 plant 50 pound harvest ??? have a look around most comercial growers will not run horizontal its about power be it 10,000 to 60,000 watt grows we run them horizontal for a reason we dont care about placeing 50 plus 600's 2 feet apart when were running Gen sets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmsWLMFJWS8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLKmiGETJu0&feature=related

Those links are the shittiest 'medical' gardens i've ever seen.

:laughing:

A proper med grow. We flower in a vert rooms. 55 bulbs per room. 5 bloom rooms.

Attachments

• dscf0850p.jpg
    dscf0850p.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 12

ancient

I got 324g from my last hor grow with 600w and 9 plants, switched to vert and got 586g from 6 plants that had most of their roots eaten away by aphids.
just personal experience, can't say a vert donut is not for the beginner

i have 2 7x9 rooms and im thinking about giving a vert grow a shot.

Do you guys need vert trellis nets up typically and are you topping the plants in any way?

Also everyone seems to be using DWC for this. I want to try it in Coco on a drip.

K

K.O.Genetics

i am going to be doing vert next run.. i cant right now because it would be so much work to switch everything plus i have too many plants for a vertical.. id have to get rid of shit also.. im just really hoping shit works out.. i need 1 harvest .. lol i need nutes.. bulbs.. a few more can fans.. a few carbon filters.. a co2 gen.. a environmental controller.

Has anyone had any dealing with Virtual Sun on there grow lights? Looking to purchase all my lights from them but wanted to see if anyone has used them and should I loo at other vendor. specifically the VSD1000WDS that used MH or HPS bulbs. Gong to purchase about 12 to 14 of them and was needing some feed back.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Has anyone had any dealing with Virtual Sun on there grow lights? Looking to purchase all my lights from them but wanted to see if anyone has used them and should I loo at other vendor. specifically the VSD1000WDS that used MH or HPS bulbs. Gong to purchase about 12 to 14 of them and was needing some feed back.

You need to ask that question here or read some of these threads.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65685