What's new

Vertical Tree Growers

whodi

Veteran
There's not much vertical talk around here, with trees specifically. I know we have a lot of med patients that use this method.. so if you guys want to start talking vertical tree growing then how about it?

I've been wondering how you all veg your trees in a prepetual harvest (veg room and flower room.. talking 6-10 week veg here.. 1/2 - 2+ pounds per plant

Do you put the bulb in the center, and put plants all around the bulb; or do you put the plants/lights in a pattern? If so what's a good bulb to veg with this method.. was thinknig 600's but do you find that 400's could be just as effective for vertical veg?

Do you veg horizontally until they are about 12-16 inches; then go vertical?

i like the xo pattern in flower with 600's on each side

x-light o-plant

xoxox
oxoxo
xoxox

Just not sure what the most efficent way to veg is.

hbstoner

I go vertical and if you call about 6' trees then im doing trees as well. I use a 400 and a 600 right now just in reflectors but thats because my room isnt big enough to hang them in the middle. If i had a large enough space I would just hang 600's or 400 in a similar patter to what you described. I have always used HPS on plants that are more then a 2 feet to veg up to about 5' . MH is great if you have the extra cash..

Check out this month's high times and they have some "master grower" that is doing a whole room of tree's and he has them in 15G trash cans and puts all of them on furniture dollies so he can move them around easy. Pretty cool ideas in that article.

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
key to vertical is having large enough space for both veg and flower. if you got it and the juice you can do what you want.

for vert flowering forget about 400/600 go straight to 1000 you need max penetration. if you have the space put lights in triangular pattern put plants in reverse of that. hydro--buckets---hand water doesn't matter what matters is size.

if you have space just hang lamps do not air cool just cool the room---my grow is very similar to C21 with a cool tube--but if I had more space I would not bother.

veg need to get your plants big--then do final transplant let them veg for another week for rooting then flower. only suggestion is to give a good trim from the main stalk out the first couple nodes.

oh yeah eye protection I have welding goggles. and a floppy hat

peace
jip

P

purpledomgoddes

~5x10 area.

1 1k sunmaster warm hung centered on middle of plant(s)[to promote side/lateral growth]. 1 1k hortilux eye conversion hung slightly (~3") higher[to promote stretch]. 2 2-light flouro fixtures hung above canopy. both contain 1 40w daylight+1 40w uvb. two rows of 3 plants.

lights are ~12-18" apart. 18" fan underneath. 8k btu ac. cheap c02 via fermentation.

no cool tubes. nor are plants restricted from growing as close to light(s) as they want. closest leaf/flower ~2-4" away from light, but can touch. if they can handle 120* of afghan mountains, they can handle 85*

day temps ~78-86. night temps ~ 60-90 - depending on stage of growth/fruiting. usually maintain zero diff, until fruiting period commences, then negative diff (higher night temps than day temps).

high vapor pressure deficit (low rh) at close of flowering. low vpd (high rh) @ initiation of flowering.

entire plant(s) are canopy. no lower sites removed. all bear fruit.

vegging w/ ~ 6 sq" of space. bonsai's topped every 3-5 days. multiple tops+side shoots+every node branching/flowering, in a 6"x6" plant. upon introduction into flowering room, root mass+foliage gets unrestricted growth stimulus+room.

vegetables in 100 days from seed, 56-70 from cutting.

enjoy your garden+fruits!

Thanks for the thread. I have a question for y'all. How do I convert my light from a hood to bare bulb? Simply unscrew the socket from the hood?

whodi

Veteran
Good information all..

hey, jip.. could you elaborate more on the triangular pattern with 1000's.. not so sure how the pattern supposed to look with lights vs plants.

I'm not sure if I agree that 1000's are worth the extra jucie or not. Seems 600's are more efficient if the room is built just right for vertical growing in a pattern. And since you can get the light's very close to plants with vertical.. 600 has really good penetration with less heat.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I am using 2 1000s in cooltubes in my (not trees, smaller plants) verti-grow.
I would not want to use 1000s with out a cool tube, 600s would prob. be best.

SD:joint:

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
i like growing trees because the plant count is low and i feel i can give more attention to a lower number of plants.

Kush09

Good thread, nice to see other vertical growers! I would say it is more efficient to veg under a horizontal reflector until the plants get big. I vegged under two horizontal reflectors with 2 1kw lights because that is all I had. I would have chose two 400 or 600 watt lights if I had more money. Younger plants do not really need the penetration of a 1000W light. Check out my vertical tree grow, the link is in my signature.