What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical setups. Why activelly cool the bulb?

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
2 tubes stacked or the dual-socket 4 or 5 footers work best with one fan on bottom and one on top, even with 600s, or one super strong blower, but those are more money than 2 inexpensive 250-500 cfm units anyway.

if your do vertical sog in an enclosed area like a coli you really have no choice but you can cage the lights and or trellis the plants to keep away from lamps to prevent burning but you still need to keep radiant heat way down, the tube(s) are just a sound choice in general because most dont have 500sq ft or larger rooms full of trees where skimping on air cooling lamps is possible.

hope this helps

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They recommend that you change out the bulbs every 9-12 months. You will notice a year old bulb compared to a new one I can. my bulbs are on 24hrs 360 days for veg. No you wont produce more heat . The bulb will only get so hot in a stale environment by adding air movement the heat is dissipated and can be removed. I noticed if I do not have my fans on the A/C works allot harder keeping the room cool.

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
while firing a lamp on and off kills the life, that is the nature of Sodium lighting, especially hortis.
phillips will reimburse the dealer for defective bulbs, but make sure you keep your reciept, and if you mark your lamps' boxes with the date installed and they trust you, the stores will a lot the time replace for you on the spot. Phillips or their bulb distributor can/will reimburse them for the defective item, if its a brand name and its got a rating on the box, its easy as pie for the dealer to get reimbursed, ime. might also have some luck calling phillips directly and complaining.
g'luck
Hi Hammerhead,

a year? Hmm my bulb supposed to last 32000 hours. After a year of growing I don't even reach 5000 light hours.

Would active cooling not have any effect on this new generation of bulbs?

Blowing this hot package away from the bulb could force it to produce more heat right? w/e effect it may have on the long term also.

PS I use a Phillips Master Son-T pia plus

RipVanWeed

HushEm,

I begining to think you enjoy taking an adversarial position regardless of reason.

The amount of cooling by directing a flow of ambient temp. air at a HID bulb, in relation to the operating temp of the bulb is miniscule at most. Think of the air flow as blowing hot air away from the plants. Your focus on bulb performance over dank seems misguided, equipment is equipment, it's the plant that counts in Rip's garden.

I'm sure your rockin the biggest screen, fastest pc, and loudest thumper to go with your brightest bulb.

Nuff said, Peace out,

Wish I had one a those meters that measure PAR and lumens, only thing to do now.

Thanks for all that usefull information.

RipVanWeed thanks also for replying. I'm just curious and it was a question I wanted to ask. it might save a bulb saving extra investments over the years. Reasonable right?

Appearantly the diffirence seems miniscule.

All the best today!

mrdizzle

The fan below the lamp doesn't cool the room not one bit... What it does is push the heat to the ceiling, where it can get picked up by the extraction fan. Intake and extraction fans cool the grow...

yes, exactly, cooling my room and extra 7-10 degree

Neo 420

Veteran
Thanks hammerhead and Gardenbug. That is what I was aiming at.

Neo I think we have some disaggreements.

Can you prove that a bulb does not suffer from active cooling?

I am assuming Hammer and Garden have AC cooled rooms, which is why they do what they do with the fan. You can not do that in a cab........

Ok...do not take my advice. Continue to take advice from your ill advice mentor. Its just troubles me that you come to the boards for help, but "actively" disqualify information without scientific analysis with at least 3 control groups (OK I went overboard)
Seriously, the proof is understanding how to dial in your environment whether its a warehouse or a 2x2 cab. I called heat burn on your current grow and you dismissed it as a hot spot. You might as well not even come for help if your are just going to "actively" disqualify solid, time tested, proven advice and stick with your ill advising, weight diminishing, Kentucky fried bud mentor This shit aint rocket science and has been done for decades.

You know what. I have not smoked yet ..That's why I'm so cranky..

:joint:

WOW.. I feel better now.Sorry for the rant..Let me start over now that I have medicated.

I meant to say:
Cold air flow over florescent lights can reduce lumen output. Does not reduce lumen output on HID's. Google it for proof. After your research let me know if we are still in disagreement.
Cheers! :tiphat:

*Edit

You know about lumen and par .. correct?

BongRipkenJR.

Bulbs are expensive. More heat wears them out faster. A bare bulb horizontal will be hot, but not as hot as a vertically placed bulb. Vertically placed bulbs burn out quicker than horizontal from what I have heard. Think of a stick that is on fire at the bottom. The fire will engulf the stick much faster than if it was flat. I think anything that cools the lights more would be great unless you are in a cold climate. The cooler it is the closer the plants can be. I dont think a bulb being cooled down excessively will decrease your yield or drop the lumens noticeably.