What's new

Vertical, No-Till, Survival -of-the-Fittest

mad librettist

Veteran
The worms is a great idea MM, but everything was going great without them, difference was that this time there was some 'down time' in the system. Got a few permanent residents in there including worms, various types of spiders and a skink.

I like the living mulch idea ML, and companion planting, my initial experiments with companions/living mulch was not great so I'm just watching and learning with me old fashioned dead mulch doing a great job for now.

you are gonna make me switch to vert to see if it helps my living mulch! Did you read the thread? Could you post your experiences in detail? I'm trying to come up with guidelines for people, but I need more case studies.

descivii

Got me a new Digilux 1000mh, no more overdriving a Sylvania 400....keep feeling like it's gonna explode. Somebody posted a link to a lightbulb in the lighting forum and through following it found my bulb at damn near half the price so thanx to whoever you were. I'll +1 you if I can find you again! :tiphat:

Technically, plant growth didn't stop but there was a break in mj. The bj (bolivian jew :biglaugh: ) was planted when the prior crop was still in.
The worms don't seem to like the bed; tried to add them twice but they sit on surface and dry up. Even if I cover them they just come back to surface. I was thinking that the soil might be too warm. My guess would be that soil temp is upper 50's - early 60's at surface mid-day.
The cuttings were rooted in Ultrasorb (Calc. DE) and looked wonderful after having sat through 3 weeks of the hottest weather this summer and had never wilted. When I transplanted them to the bed from the tray of DE, I noticed that all of them had a pea-sized knot at the base but only 2 out of 14 cuts had actual roots protruding from the knot. I planted them anyway and all rooted in the soil very quickly. They got moved to the bed on Sat. 07/23; 1 week today.
Been noticing alot more "activity" goin-on on the soil surface since I added the leaf mulch layer on top. All kinds of little critters goin about their day.

Mad,
You should try vert. It seems like a must for indoor efficiency; I won't budge on my nutrients or delivery method but whether the light hangs to or fro is of no philosophical or moral consequence. I like the idea of using more bulb without necessity for reflection.

mad librettist

Veteran
Mad,
You should try vert. It seems like a must for indoor efficiency; I won't budge on my nutrients or delivery method but whether the light hangs to or fro is of no philosophical or moral consequence. I like the idea of using more bulb without necessity for reflection.

I may do this in the winter - bare bulb. I am still mulling it over. Other options to get light to my mulch include using the LED's. I could eliminate one of my veg rooms.

descivii

Sorry All,
I keep havin puter problems but I should be fine for now

Everything is looking good, plants are very bushy and took quickly once "plugged into" the soil bed. So far I see chickweed, nutsedge, my Calisia, purslane, and dandelion. Lots of little critters in there and I added a couple old bricks cause critters seem to like hiding under stuff like that during the day. I got some pics but bare with me as I had to take them on an ipod.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg