What's new

Vertical first attempt

Very interesting guys, so you leave the ones that are sticking out of buds, and strip all the big lonesome fans. Is that something you do specific to vert growing, or do you do it to all types of grow?

And what is the benefit? Bud size, bud firm ness, trich production?

Sick grow as always Aero, loving watching the updates!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
dNc, can't go wrong with tips from Marlo. Also, check out redspaghetti's house of love thread. Page back from the present to pre flower. Some of his plants that have been thinned considerably. Like always, they fatten up nicely.:D Can't remember if it's vertical. I'll have to check it out and see for myself.

While yer at it, check out red's hit the dirt organically... Another great vertical journal.

Of course your strain will dictate how much you thin and personal preference (grow style, training, etc.)

Wow... you really hit it out of the park aero... I can't believe it's only day 37! still a little time before you should strip out those fans leaves. I started taking all mine out... Gotta stay on that shit before they yellow, shrivel up, and disappear into the canopy...
You read my thoughts man!

Aero, dude, wow. Those guys are bushing up! 6x6.... I wonder if I could pull this off with a 4x4.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Suggestion, you might want to think about taking some more of those fans out as the days go by. I try to remove all fans that are not coming directly out of a bud by day 40ish. So basically any fan leaf with a stem, I remove em lil by lil,(big ones 1st) til they are all gone. You can see in this pic what I mean. No big fans to be found anywhere. Some strains don't take well to this...others thrive bcus of it.

picture.php

Just a thought. Yer killin it either way bro!

:tiphat:

Thanks, nice reference pic too, I am going to trim a little bit every day to open the canopy for the flush. I believe you get a better flush with less leaves too..

Thanks everyone!!

boodha

NICE. I'm 3 months late. Perfect timing, because I get to see the whole grow. Hey aero when its done I can come over and help you smoke it.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Boodha, this is a great time to join the show.. heh, are you sure you want to smoke this stuff, I hear it causes confusion that leads useless replies to posts..

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe you get a better flush with less leaves too..

I think so too. Less foliage = less stored nutes to flush out of the plant. Or at least that's the way I saw it.

Very interesting guys, so you leave the ones that are sticking out of buds, and strip all the big lonesome fans. Is that something you do specific to vert growing, or do you do it to all types of grow?

And what is the benefit? Bud size, bud firm ness, trich production?

I leave the ones coming out of the buds. Most ppl do.
This technique helps with light penetration. Leaves you with nice tight nugs on the inside of the plant and less airy nugs. Strain dependent of course. I've had plants that didn't enjoy it very much. I find that plants with naturally more foliage, don't take very well to leaf trimming. I usually play with diesels and kush hybrids, most of em love to get trimmed.

Keep in mind, I use 4oo's. Not much penetration, so trimming is a necessity.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Keep in mind, I use 4oo's. Not much penetration, so trimming is a necessity.

You have dialed your garden with those 400w lights very well to get the results you do running multi strains. Your pictures are proof, nice pull on the harvest!

I just have to see if my naturally very leafy bushes like it. I am going to try it but I will do it over the next couple weeks to see how they respond.

Nice one Marlo mate, that makes sense. When you say some strains don't like it, can elaborate a bit? Do you mean that they turn he/she on ya, or just slow growth?

bobblehead

Veteran
I think so too. Less foliage = less stored nutes to flush out of the plant. Or at least that's the way I saw it.

some nutrients are stored in the leaf, this true... But most of them are stored internally in the roots. The leaves are more like energy production sites, and also used for respiration. Once the energy stores are full though, the leaves have served their purpose... that's why, imo, fan leaves should be left alone during the stretch. Admittedly I take out a few, but not like the all out stripping I do in late flowering.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice one Marlo mate, that makes sense. When you say some strains don't like it, can elaborate a bit? Do you mean that they turn he/she on ya, or just slow growth?

Never had a he/she, but I have noticed some plants really slow down. These have all been more leafy varieties for me. I've had some plants that never skip a beat. Keep in mind I trim lil by lil from about day 20-40ish. I don't like stripping all at once.

some nutrients are stored in the leaf, this true... But most of them are stored internally in the roots. The leaves are more like energy production sites, and also used for respiration. Once the energy stores are full though, the leaves have served their purpose... that's why, imo, fan leaves should be left alone during the stretch. Admittedly I take out a few, but not like the all out stripping I do in late flowering.

Thanks Bobble. :tiphat:
i agree on the fans in stretch. I try to wait til week 3 if I can. And then take more off every few days, as the remaining fan leaves grow.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Hey everyone, I discovered a mistake regarding day of flower. I went back to my day 1 12/12 post and counted the days (this thread is my best record of this grow) and discovered today is actually day 42 of flower not day 39 as I originally thought.

I did a bit of trimming and if there is any doubt about trimming fan leaves, this should provide a good example. Note the light green areas of the pics to be posted. These light green areas are newly exposed growth after trimming. There was little to no light getting in there and the growth suffered. Hopefully I trimmed in time and they fatten up in the following days until harvest.

Here are some day 42 pics:

Check out the romberry on the left:

Here is a shot of the GDP bush center:

These pics show buds below the buckets, Check out the lower growth by the 400w:

Last edited: