What's new

vertical coliseum with light mover

incubusflyguy

I just built my pvc vert dream system....but put a 1000 watter rigged to a light mover to go up and down. Straight up, 8 feet tall...F yeah. I loved my idea of a light mover for a vert garden. Pics to come

Arkaya

This sounds like an awesome idea that really lets you spread the light around very efficiently. pics please!

pumpkin2006

Your very cool for doing such a thing. I hope you understand the quirks of a vertical system, so I can see a good show.

G

I cant wait to see some pics of this system. Sounds great. Got some specs on the system?

incubusflyguy

camera is AWOL. I will get pics. I built my vert system exactly the same as another person on here-I'll post the link when I can find it. The only difference is, I put 2-1000 watters moving up and down on a light mover to really move the light around and keep everything to minimal watts. It's working great (the light) and the vertical system, of course, has been slightly more troublesome than any other hydro system. It will be about 3 weeks till picture time. Tag this baby and you'll be amazed soon.

pumpkin2006

No problems, I have patience. I hope you realize that Bushmaster is your best friend with that system; stops all vertical growth. More often then not, I see people running vertical systems and they let their plants get overgrown a little bit and then they're to close to the light and yields suffer. So basically, I hope you know this strains stretch and if you don't, I hope you have some bushmaster or budblood.

V

vhGhost

hello everyone .. i can't wait to see this system to!!! check out northernfamers setups and also the Vertically Simple Thread(http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1221058#post1221058) for some more info on vertical setups. i wouldn't mind having a vertical growing Thread dedicated to Vertical growing information.

i've always wondered why most poeople don't grow vertical? with 1 x 1000w you can cover 4 x 4x4' (give or take a little) area with a shade. but the other 3/4 of the light bulb only reflect the light back and is less effective. Although guys on here constantly show that its possible to get up to 1+gpw with horizontal shades(someon light movers). so if these guys pushing the limits with horizontal growing apply these same growing techniques to 3 More 4x4 areas they should be pulling some crazy #'s.
I will be giving vertical growing a go in about a month(under construction). i will update you guys as the construction is completed. :rasta:

9339updown.JPG

in this case 1000w light can cover 128sqft.(*if your dimensions were 4x8 Sides that made a box aroudn the 1000w light that moves up and down to cover each 4x4(X8) area), instead of only 32sqft(light mover with horizantal shade on a light mover, covering 2x 4x4' area)

Last edited:
vhGhost said:
I will be giving vertical growing a go in about a month(under construction). i will update you guys as the construction is completed. :rasta:
Sweet:joint:

After yrs of following all the vert threads on the worldwideweb since they starting showing up...I'm finally going to jump into the fray as well.
I'm just finalizing my construction 'blueprints' now and will begin making them soon. The room isn't available for a couple mths, so no rush yet.
Think UGU's setup...but with 1gal pots of #4, custom tray/gutters to contain and direct runoff and a poly hose feeding/water supply for automated watering...built in 2 complete halves. 2 1K bulbs, as few or as many plants as a guy wants to use. It is 100% flexible as far as plant count will be concerned, just have to change the # of feeder lines in the watering grid. But with even 'just' 80...veg will still be under 14days I expect. Max that would physically fit in the system would be about 200 with 4 levels, 250 with 5.
Should be exciting...I'll be documenting as well :muahaha:

B

Blunted22

dude vertical grow is the way to go it deff utilizes ALL your lights what more acan you ask for. If i found a e z build system i would build 5.

V

vhGhost

i'll have a more detailed drawing asap! .. stay tuned kids, 2+lb will be no problem when we're done. the new goal will be 1lb+ per 4x4 area, thats 4lb per light, and if on movers thats 8lb with 1 light :) its possible we just HAVE to make it work . :jump: :bashhead: :rasta: :headbange :muahaha:

Last edited:
V

vhGhost

update .. no light mover this time .. but there will be a couple coli's that will run 2k each.... try and perfect just growing this style then move on to more advanced methods... but the light mover idea is killer... i'll have pics in a week hopefully ... life seems to get in the way of growing :) LOL

Right on vh...looking forward to more info/pics from ya :joint:

From edge to edge...what is the inside diameter of a Coli?
So far, for my build...I am planing 18-20" from a 1K bulb to finished plant canopy. I am fairly certain I am sticking with that number.
What I am unsure of is how much depth I should have for plant material. In a flat garden, I trip at about 8-10" tall and they finish at 18-22" average...I'm thinking that about 10" for plant depth will be good...maybe 12"...
Working with those numbers...I am at a total inside diameter of about 56-60"