What's new

!!!!!!!vermont Medical Marijuana Bill To Become Law!!!!!!!!!!!!

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
Vermont to be 9th Medical Marijuana State

Gov. Douglas Announces Bill Will Become Law Without His Signature

MONTPELIER, VERMONT -- In a statement released late Wednesday, Vermont Governor James Douglas (R) said he would allow Vermont's medical marijuana bill, S. 76, to become law without his signature. Vermont now becomes the ninth state to allow qualified patients to grow, possess, and use marijuana for medical purposes without fear of arrest under state law, and the second state to do so via the state legislature rather than a ballot initiative.

The governor's statement expressed considerable reluctance and repeated well-known myths about marijuana, calling it "addictive and dangerous" and "a gateway drug." Nevertheless, he said that the measure contains adequate controls and added, "I feel, as most Vermonters do, that we must do what we can to ease the pain of dying Vermonters. ... [M]arijuana offers those with the most painful chronic diseases a measure of hope in a time of suffering."

The medical marijuana bill's enactment culminates a three-year effort. Despite overwhelming popular support, the measure faced opposition from powerful elected officials, including former Gov. Howard Dean (D) and Douglas, his successor. The Washington, D.C.-based Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) worked closely with local patients and activists to make sure that legislators heard from constituents about the bill. Grassroots efforts were supplemented by television commercials featuring patients and their loved ones, urging Vermonters to contact their representatives and the governor.

"We are delighted that Vermont is about to be the ninth state to protect medical marijuana patients from the threat of arrest and jail, and the second to do so through its state legislature," said Neal Levine, MPP director of state policies. "The governor ultimately came to the right bottom line: This is a humane, compassionate measure that offers hope and protection to some of Vermont's most vulnerable citizens, people who are suffering terribly from cancer, AIDS, or multiple sclerosis. The sick should not be casualties in the war on drugs."

With more than 15,000 members and 79,000 e-mail subscribers nationwide, the Marijuana Policy Project is the largest marijuana policy reform organization in the United States. MPP works to minimize the harm associated with marijuana -- both the consumption of marijuana and the laws that are intended to prohibit such use. MPP believes that the greatest harm associated with marijuana is imprisonment. For more information, please visit MarijuanaPolicy.org

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Ok thats great But..

Ok thats great But..

<<< The governor's statement expressed considerable reluctance and repeated well-known myths about marijuana, calling it "addictive and dangerous" and "a gateway drug." Nevertheless, he said that the measure contains adequate controls and added, "I feel, as most Vermonters do, that we must do what we can to ease the pain of dying Vermonters. ... [M]arijuana offers those with the most painful chronic diseases a measure of hope in a time of suffering." >>>

Shows just how Ignorant our politicians are. Howard Dean was against it? I didn't know that, he wants to be VP if Kerry wins. Kerry WILL NOT WIN, unless he is invited to the " Grove " and he has not.

I wrote the Governor of Vermont a lil email. Very polite of course, asking him to research the subject for him self and not rely on 70 year old propaganda.
I'm sure his office was flooded, so I don't expect an answer anytime soon.
All you get is an Autorespond anyway.

But it's better than nothing.
Good going Vermonters!

Latest posts

Latest posts