What's new

vermiculite... useful?

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I've had good results by putting a one inch layer of vermiculite only, close to the bottom of the pot and mixing the soil and perlite only; to fill it up.

I use a 8 inch probe; moisture meter, to tell me when this layer is dry.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, you guys are right, now that I think about it. They're not really 'interchangable'. I usually only think of the slight differences in watering technique, but their ability to hold nutrients is different to. I never think about that nutrient thing because I'm sort of 'organic' and don't really pay much attention to nutrients.

K

kill-9

I am looking for something to mix with Fox Farm Ocean Forest, the store didn't have perlite. I have read that vermiculite absorbs water.. but on the package it says it improves drainage and reduces compaction. How does a substance that absorbs water improve drainage? Should I go look for perlite, should I mix OF with vermiculite, or should I just use OF straight?

Well Fox Farm uses sawdust in their product so it tends to not drain well after about 1 1/2 month of watering. You can do fine with straight Ocean Forest, I planted 3 Jack The Ripper plants in direct Ocean Forest, the rest isn my own recipe, they did fine but I did have to puncture holes into the pot and fork up some dirt that wasnt stuck to the rootball already.

Seedlings and otherwise small plants burn in direct Ocean Forest, some strains do just fine so it's kind of a crap shoot when it comes to the young kids.

Perlite is everywhere, basic mom & pop gardens and nurseries always carry them, so check out others in your area. You'd save alot of time and grief if you just add some.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never noticed FFOF burning anything at all. I have popped lots of seeds right in it.
And I also don't experience it becoming hardpacked at all. Yes, when dry it may take a few moments for the soil to wet and start taking the water, but it always does and drains fine for me. (shrug)

floralheart

Veteran
so vermiculite and perlite can be used interchangeably?

I read vermiculite contains asbestos? Is that a concern? should plants be grown in asbestos?

I think it's fine. The concern would be in breathing it in during the soil mixing process and I'd be more concerned about the fine particles from the perlite than the vermiculite. Vermiculite is nowhere near as dusty as perlite.

floralheart

Veteran
I've had good results by putting a one inch layer of vermiculite only, close to the bottom of the pot and mixing the soil and perlite only; to fill it up.

I use a 8 inch probe; moisture meter, to tell me when this layer is dry.
I've padded with perlite and aquarium rocks. I considered lava rock for larger pots.

Latest posts

Latest posts