What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vermiculite and perlite in soil mix

Treevly

For those who use one or the other or both in outdoor holes, how much of each do you use in the mix? I'm in a new location with soil which may or may not be in a normal moisture range by summer, so I'm debating adding some of each. However, I don't want to add so much as to have a problem by making the mix too wet or dry, depending on weather.

Treevly

My concern is really mostly about vermiculite, which holds water. The Great Lakes region is forecast to have above average rainfall this summer, so I am tempted to forego vermiculite and just use perlite. On the other hand, if it is a normal summer as regards precipitation, vermiculite may save my from having to water so much. However, you can't have your cake and eat it too, as they say, so I think that I will use a minimal amount of vermiculite, perhaps 5% or less. Watering when necessary is a lot easier than unwatering.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can use sand if soil isn't clay based. That would create adobe bricks!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
It really depends on how often you wanna water her. If your not gonna visit them very often I wouldn't put over 20%perlite, . I put about 30% perlite in my outdoor containers and no vermiculite. I don't really put much in my guerilla site. But I'll add some perlite to the Promix I put in my holes. Ive got the BX and like to have the HP

Treevly

Gads, I've got a good, lightish black earth, HP, peat moss, a little Pro Mix Cactus Mix, perlite, compost with castings....... I think I will forgo the vermiculite. The Great Lakes area is forecast to have a wet summer this year, above average rainfall amounts. It's possible to water them if they get dry, but not unwater them if they're wet. I suppose that decides it.

Latest posts

Latest posts