What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vermiculiate - Perlite for cornfield/soybean clay

Treevly

a) The cornfireld/soybean clay/loam is not bad. It's clayish, but not the heaviest and the pH is neutral or very slighlty below. (b) The other spot is similar but slightly more acidic, probably because of slighly poorer drainage, and is unworked. The pH runs around 6.3.

Perlite and vermiculite are useful for drainage. I'm inclined to use a bit of V. for (a) and Perlite (or both) for (b.) The holes will be filled mostly with a triple mix: black earth, compost/humus and peat (with some small organic additions for food.) What do you recommend in the way of V. or P. for drainage?
Thank you.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
perlite and vermiculite are different in water holding capacity

perlite helps aeration vermiculte holds up 10 x amount of water or more of its volume

St. Phatty

sometimes i worry about the stealth part of Perlite.

white specs like that don't occur in natural soil very often.

on the other hand, they're tiny white specs.

Big Eggy

Veteran
For some reason perlite was out of stock for like 100miles for me this year so I used vermiculite and washed sharp sand.

I read somewhere here recently that the silica in the sand helps with stem strength.

Latest posts

Latest posts