What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's organic modular ScrOG cabinet - 236W LED

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't used either. PSUAGRO is doing a closet grow on RIU with Hans's panel. knna knows the guys at EVO and has given them suggestions. The person responsible for their website- GUD- is giving them a very bad name. May be back room politics. Too bad, as I am interested in getting US Distribution for the new version

D9_THC

Hi VG!

I have followed your journals for years, and I've never seen your favorite Blueberry as beautiful as now. Wow!

You are amazing sir! The gold standard for quality ... quantity.

Thank you for sharing so much of your knowledge with us.

Sorry for the silly question, but why did you start mixing Neem Seed Meal into your mix? Is that so that you don't have to spray with neem oil, or just for the nutrients?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that makes sense PF, like i said some peeps have been getting some very half baked responses from evo.

D9! great to see you around... yeah the Bb has excelled itself this time, although it did have twice as much rootspace and plenty of light..
the need seed meal is to combat fungal gnats, but it is a fert in its own right too. 2g/litre was what was recommended to me and it seems to work. ive seen hardly any gnats since i started using it. i think its good against root aphids too, but ive never had a problem with them yet.
ive wanted to use it for a while but only recently found a place to buy it in the UK

so we have the haze left, which is at 10.5 weeks and i reckon needs another week or so but not too much longer.
picture.php

picture.php

and here is a bubba thats been in here for a week and a half i think. vegged this one up big and i hope it will make me lots of S1 seeds. the rest of the cab will be empty for a little while... but i have the bubba S1's to come in soon.
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bubba weighed in at 46 grams, around 0.8 gpw which is pretty much average yield for that cut. the smoke is awesome even after just a few days in the jar

VG

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Very nice Bubba screen. I bet you had her dialed in really nice now.
Are you planing some Bubba X Haze ? :p
Shout be quite awesome :woohoo:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey gov, ive found that its better to veg the bubba into the final pot for a week or so... usually i dont bother with this but the bubba roots seem to stop growing a bit quicker than other strains. its not a very even screen but plenty of buds coming... and hopefully i'll get plenty of S1's.

bubba x haze would be good, but i didnt make that cross.

i was lucky enough to get some digi berry pollen (its an old blueberry cut from america which someone has bx'ed etc)
i dusted my blueberry, the bubba and the haze with it. didnt get many seeds but im hoping the blueberry x digi seeds will start a decent Bb line.

----

talking of Blueberry the yields on the double screen Bb was 112.6g - so just over 4oz which is pretty good. gonna have a smoke of it in a minute.

VG

Desert Dan

Veteran
Hey VG! Lookin good brother! How high are those 1w units hanging over the canopy? I want to get a new xpro unit, but I have limited headroom as well...

Thanks,
DD

Goddamn! That is a chunky BB! And if df's thread is anything to go by it should only get better with the addition of a digi male. I hope you send the progeny to market at some point. Should be an amazing blue line!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi DD, you can get the tops to about 6" of the fixtures or maybe a bit closer with the 1w units, whearas the 3w pro units you need at least a foot to 18"... and to get the footprint to 2x3 you are talking about 2'. the 3w pro units drive the LED's at about 1.5w, so 2 of the 1w units is more proweful than 1x 3w... and you save a foot or so of headroom. also the even spread of clusters helps get nice even coverage. obviously its a bit more expensive though, but the price has come down a bit recently. i guess the 1w units dont run as hot either which should make them last longer

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goddamn! That is a chunky BB! And if df's thread is anything to go by it should only get better with the addition of a digi male. I hope you send the progeny to market at some point. Should be an amazing blue line!

hey spiralofeyes, yeah im really excited about this combination, HUGE big up to dank.frank. and chilli berkster for the digiberry.

ive been looking for a good pair for my Blueberry cut for some time now and i have high hopes for this. my plan is to grow out the seeds and, if they look good, i will make a big bunch of f2's. the two parents will represent two sides of the Blueberry family that diverged quite some time ago (when DJ short worked for Dutch Passion for a while). nice to reunite them...

VG

Desert Dan

Veteran
hi DD, you can get the tops to about 6" of the fixtures or maybe a bit closer with the 1w units, whearas the 3w pro units you need at least a foot to 18"... and to get the footprint to 2x3 you are talking about 2'. the 3w pro units drive the LED's at about 1.5w, so 2 of the 1w units is more proweful than 1x 3w... and you save a foot or so of headroom. also the even spread of clusters helps get nice even coverage. obviously its a bit more expensive though, but the price has come down a bit recently. i guess the 1w units dont run as hot either which should make them last longer

VG

Thanks for getting back at me VG! I understand what you mean about the footprint due to the 60 degree viewing angle. I have the 126w original penetrator and it just doesn't have a even spread in my 2'x2' space. I think the 189x would spread the light more evenly.

Do you find the performance of the new units (x-lens) leaps and bounds better than the original penetrators? Enough to justify me buying a new unit? Sorry for cluttering your thread with led banter, but you have more experience with this brand than anyone I know.

Thanks again,
DD

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey dan i think you would see a difference for sure, not only will it be a bit more powerful, but the 3rd generation spectrum will make the flowering response quicker. i found the old units were a bit slower then hps but the new ones are a bit quicker than hps.
the old unit would make an awesome veg light if you build a little cab for it.

and you are defo right about the 189x being much more suited to 2x2 - square light for a square footprint.

VG

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

VG

VG Wouldn't a 3w with a dimmer resolve distance from canopy issues?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi PF, a dimmer would solve a problem of too much intensity, but not the problem of the distance you need to get the footprint of the light to expand to the correct area - which is more to do with geometry. of course this is only a problem if you have limited height....

i think its always best to get the biggest light(s) you can to fill the top of the cab as much as possible because this means you get more even light coverage.

VG

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
super garden bro, plants look so nice and almost ready for cut ya down..those hazy nuggs kicked your azz fo sure bro!!
"respect" and cant wait till see some harvest shotround!!

D9_THC

Hi VG!

You have really sparked my interest in LED.

Could you please tell me how much heat the 236w LED emits compared to your 250w HPS?

Also, I noticed that you are slightly over the 50watt/sq.ft. with the LED.
What do you think is the optimum watt/sq.ft. for LED lights?

Thank you in advance!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi D9, my cab is about 28x24" so i guess im running about 50W per square foot, and i reckon you want about that to match the HPS which was running at just over 60W per square foot. these are both actual power draw rather than the rated watts from the manufacturers.

the LED's give out considerably less heat than the HPS, or at least the plants receive much less heat because HPS throws a lot of radiant heat at the plants whearas the led's are cooled by fans and the heat gets sucked out of the sides of the fixtures and out of the cab by the 4" inline fan and filter in the top of the cab.

---

in other news the haze was chopped a few days ago (not sure if ive mentioned that already) i'll post the dry weight later this week.

so atm the cab has the big bubba which i will pollinate in a few days, and also i put 4 bubba S1 plants in there which im going to attempt to sog in one quarter of the cab... im going away for a week or so soon and will start some new stuff off when i get back.

things will change a little as i'll be doing more seed runs and running more plants from seed for my 'breeding' exploits.

VG

D9_THC

Thank you for your answers VG!

I understand that

... the plants receive much less heat because HPS throws a lot of radiant heat at the plants whearas the led's are cooled by fans and the heat gets sucked out of the sides of the fixtures and out of the cab by the 4" inline fan and filter in the top of the cab.
however, how does the total overall heat produced inside your grow space by the 236w LED compare to the 250w HPS?
Is the LED say 2, 3, 4 times cooler overall?

Manufactures tend to... greatly exaggerate these things and I am trying to find out the truth from a trusted and reliable source, VerdantGreen:)

I spoke with a manufacturer of a 710w (610w LED + ~100w fans) true watts, who told me that the overall heat produced by his LED unit is considerably less than a 150w HPS...can this be true?

I think that you are the the best source of information for this, because your 236w LED and your 250w HPS are "almost" the same wattage, in the same exact grow space.

Thank you sir!