What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's bin growing! 28W LED Organic.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GP - you do a great job collating all these grows - respect back at ya!

cannaB, thanks - yeah im pleased with the quality too - as good as ever really.

strangely, the light is from the USA site, they get shipped out of china to UK no problem.

mrcopyz - cheers!

VG

Strangely

"strangely, the light is from the USA site, they get shipped out of china to UK no problem."

Ah right, cheers! So £150 ish. Not bad at all looking at your results.

Sym

Very impressive! Was odor ever a prob with such a small filter?
It's funny the site says they are for supplemental lighting
I would give respect but im not sure how to do that

midnightmix

This looks really good thanks for sharing, I will try this.

How often did you water the plant?

did you have any moisture or humidity issues with the setup?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry for the late replies guys

FirstTracks, tgif - thanks! :tiphat:

Sym - i was really pleased with the can filter, i didnt smell anything in the loft where i kept the bin, and i had actually used carbon from an old can filter which i cut up - so it defo works. Shaksbreath isnt the smelliest strain but it is reasonably stinky.

BobbySparkle, prototype is a good word, there are a few things i would change if i made it again, for starters i would mount the light on top of the bin with just a hole cut for the led cluster and the fan etc on the outside.

habeeb - thanks dude!

midnightmix - i water my plants every 2 days on average, i use quite big pots. didnt have any humidity issues, perhaps a little more airflow would be better but the plant looked pretty happy.

next up im going to use this bin to reverse a plant of my pre-98 bubba cut and collect loads of pollen to make more S1's

VG

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Looking great brother!

Loving the gpw results, I am about to start a few led grows as well and am excited to see how it grows. Any suggestions, tips etc when growing with leds versus hps/mh?

The Boys

how manny lumens per watt is the led your using?

i think next time you should try a 3 or 4 plant sog with a strain that does well in that style, you might be able to double your yielld.

quinoa64

Hey, just found this -- great inspiration for micro growing!

I'm really impressed by the yield here. I'm running 20W of LED strip lights in a square foot and getting pretty slow growth - first fan leaves just came out and I'm 3 weeks in. Meanwhile, a quinoa plant I have growing in the same space is thriving.

Anyway, thanks for trying out that 28W lamp - there are a lot of LED grows here in the hundreds of watts, but very few in the under 40W range, where LEDs can mean serious stealth.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, last time i used the bin was for reversing a bubba plant with CS which worked well as it is nice and separate from my other cabs which all share the same fan and filter.

hey quinoa, some LED's work better than others, but i think you need 40-50watts per square foot for optimum results. cannabis is a very light-hungry plant.

eurasian farmer - thansk

the boys, im not sure i could really double the yield doing sog... that would be well over 2g/watt which is a stretch for sure. really its the canopy that matters for grow efficiency and as long as it's full then the plant count doesnt really come into it. i have read a lot of talk about certain styles and how they can do this and that, but tbh i have seed very few documented grows that back up all the claims.
in the UK, where growing is illegal, it is plant count that determines how much sh1t you get in if you get court - so i have concentrated on getting high yields with small plant counts, and (without wanting to sound conceited) i hardly ever see any grows with high plant densities that do better than my scrogs.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking great brother!

Loving the gpw results, I am about to start a few led grows as well and am excited to see how it grows. Any suggestions, tips etc when growing with leds versus hps/mh?

hey medmaker, sorry for the late reply :) you probably know the answers to this yourself now :D

LEDS run cooler than HPS, which is usually a good thing - although in the dead of winter i miss the heat from HPS sometimes...
also the plants are a bit more compact and stretch a little less.
and i reckon you can reduce the watts/square foot by 15% or so with LED. i also worry less about fire risks.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol thanks couchlockd.

this has been a useful little grow space for me - its ventilation etc are independent from my other cabs so i mostly use it to flower males and reverse females etc.