What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"VEGETABLE GARDENING" (for fun and nutrition)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Roasting Chile Peppers

Chiles roasted over an open flame, or in the oven, impart a delicious smoky flavour to salsas or any dish that uses chile peppers.

Lay whole chiles directly on a barbecue grill, under a broiler, on a stove top grill, or over a gas flame. Grill or broil, turning frequently, until the chile skins are evenly blackened and charred all over, but the flesh is still crisp. Put the chiles into a paper bag for a few minutes to cool and steam, this helps further loosen the skins. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, the skins will slide off easily. DON'T rinse the roasted peppers under the tap or all the flavoursome juices will be lost down the plug-hole. Slit and remove veins and seeds. If doing this with very hot chiles, be sure to wear rubber gloves and don't touch your eyes. Use the prepared chiles in sauces and salsas, in rice casseroles, on hamburgers, and in all Mexican dishes. Also great with summer squash, green beans, corn, or homemade fajitas.

Oven roasting

Simply put the chilies on a baking sheet in the oven at about 400 and leave until the skins are blistered. Remove the blistered skins under cold running water. This method doesn’t develop quite as much flavour as flame roasting does. Remember, you are not just blistering the skins, the chiles are also being cooked.

Gas Stove

This method works well for roasting a small quantity of chile peppers but it does not work well for tomatoes or garlic. Use a long handled cooking fork with a handle made with a non heat-conducting material. Pierce the pepper with the fork and hold the pepper over a gas flame (or grill flame), about 4" from the heat source. Keep turning the pepper until it is evenly charred on all sides. The pepper skins should turn black when properly roasted. Place the roasted peppers in a plastic bag and seal the bag. (You can also use a small wire grilling basket and char a few peppers at a time.) After a few minutes the bag should be opened, the peppers taken out and you'll find the char skins will just slide off the peppers.

Dry Grill

For tomatoes, garlic, or a larger quantity of chiles you can use a stove-top grill. This fits over a gas or electric burner. Sit the chiles on top and turn occasionally to allow even charring.

New Mexico method

The Roasting of green chiles is done using a contraption which is apparently commonly used in the Southwestern States, Mexico too, I reckon...

Cylindrical wire cages about five or six feet long, and about two or three feet across, are sitting on a simple metal frame, just within the reach of a half a dozen gas jets.
A small motor on the end turns the cage.

Making chipotles

1 pound ripe red jalapeno or fresno chiles
10 pounds charcoal briquettes
smoke chips your choice (such as mesquite chunks cut into smaller pieces)
a few springs fresh cut rosemary (optional)
Start this as early in the morning as possible.

Put smoke chips in a container and cover with water. Mound about one half the briquettes into the charcoal pan and light.

Wash the chiles and cut a slit lengthwise in each one from just below the shoulder to about a half inch from the tip. Place the chiles in a single layer (slit side up) on a surface that will fit in the smoker and won't let the chiles fall through. When the briquettes are covered with grey ash, spread out into an even layer (if using a BBQ, spread the briquettes to the side leaving a bare spot in the center).

Place some of the soaked smoke chips on the briquettes. Fill the water pan with 2 to 3 inches of water (if using a BBQ, use an aluminium foil pan that will fit in the bare spot in the center of the BBQ) and put in place over (or in the center of) the briquettes. Put smoker or BBQ rack in place, place the container of chiles on the rack over the pan of water, and cover the smoker or BBQ.

The idea is to keep a low-heat, smouldering, smoky fire for a couple/ several/few... 90 minute hours. ;) :D
Add briquettes, soaked smoke chips, and the perhaps the optional bits and pieces of a sprig or two of fresh rosemary as needed to keep generating heat and smoke.

After 6 or 7 hours, the chiles have probably absorbed as much smoke as they're going to.
They should be a dark, brick-red colour and somewhat wrinkled but, they won't be totally dehydrated to a point where they would keep at room temperature.
Remove them from the smoker and finish drying them in a warm oven or a dehydrator if needed.

[One can em up with ones favorite variation of tomatoes (adobo sauce...salsa's...etc) for a real long term storage Gourmet smoked chile treat]

Last edited:
G

Cool post Boggled.

Time for my garden update.

Here is my cabbage at day 31. It has a 40" diameter already. If it keeps plugging along I might have a chance at a record.

Here is an experiment. The small cabbage is being grown in donkey manure.
The big one is being grown in chicken shit....any questions?

My first bloom on my datura-Angel trumpet.

Snapdragons.

Lil broccoli headz.

My sunflower is now 26" tall. This sumbitch is outgrowing everything in the garden. In compairison, the rest of my 300 plants are about 6". Love genetics.

Until next time,
Seed

RuralRoute420

update

update

this is where we are this morning....everything is looking great. i've notices the bell peppers were ugly at first, but are def. coming around, short and BUSHY. i attribute this to picking off first few pre flower that come on, no matter how much it hurts. here is a bucket grow of tomato and bell pepper, seems to be working.

here is the micro garden. 3 diff kinds of maters, some snow peas, and sweet corn. the cages were meant to keep whatever was eating them off, but i left them on cuz i'm kinda diggin them. i'm pruning nothing but the growing tip. what will happen? will let them go once they reach top of 24" chicken wire. 8' stakes ready for them.
*please note high tech security system (hot dog roasting stick with walmart bag attached.)

got some onions going also, i'm noticing the tops are like 18" tall now but actual onions aren't that much bigger. they were a set. do the onions grow in the later 1/2 of life?

Last edited:

Latitude18

new additons

new additons

added a few more , just put the germs in dirt today for :

4 Sunflower
8 carrot (3+per hole )
3 watermelon
2 Zucchini
2 cucumber

can't wait

G

Garden update. Its sunny and everything is growing well.

This is my first cut of broccoli this year. Poison free is so much better. Check out the stalk structure. That is what it should look like, not the stemmy store bought crap.

Another shot. See how tight the flowers are. They are the best at this stage.

My cabbage is still growing well. I had to give it some sevin dust unfortunatly. The critters have discovered them. I had a nice sized wasp nest nearby, but a blue-bellied lizard ate them all. I caught him sitting in the completely stripped nest, fat and sassy.

Seed

RuralRoute420

i have this general plant food pellets that are found in the same boxes as the bone meal, blood meal, and rose food. it's a 6-10-10. can i make some type of liquid out of it to make for easier doses of feeding on tomatoes and peppers instead of having to sprinkle around on the ground and hope it gets to where it needs to go....

Last edited:
G

Hi RR420,
I wouldn't make a solution with dry pellets. Go ahead and sprinkle TWICE as much as the box calls for since its organic. Make sure you cover a 2-3 ft circle around the plant. Don't worry about not knowing where its going...the plants roots have an uncanny ability of finding the nutes on there own.

Hope this helps,
Seed

RuralRoute420

so should i quit the light feeding of every 2 weeks with miracle grow tomato plant food then? they are loving it, keeping it very light, using indoor doses.

the reason i was switching was that i read even on the MG box that you should back off the N during flowering, as with most flowering plants. so i figured since i'm allowing them to put on flowers now, i should switch to something different, going to use it on the peppers also. get some pics together tomorrow. peace.

Last edited:
G

Hi RR420,
A lil bit of MG nerver hurts, but I wouldn't make it my primary nute source.
Pepper require no additional N. They get enuff from the natral soil. If you do keep hitting peppers with N, they will bear very little or no fruit, they will just keep growing foliage. Give them bonemeal and seaweed if you want to go organic. If not organic give them muriate of potash and superphoshate.

Seed

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
My sisters vegetable garden is coming along nice. The tomatoe plants are getting big and alrady starting to bear fruit. We got all the pepper plant (green,gold,red, and purple) except orange. I already harvested a few broccoli heads and they were very tasty. I also picked a green zucchinni. By the end of the summer we are going to have a nice harvest of vegetables. I can't wait for the peppers though, they are my favorite.

G

Time for Seeds garden update.
My Carolin Cross Watermelon has been slow out of the gate. It hasn't been hot enough. Now that it has finally started showing promise I accidentally broke 1 of the best vines on it when training. DAMN. It will be ok...there are some nice back-ups. In front are some Big Bertha green peppers.

This isn't nuttin more than a 60' x 30' birdfeeder. Corn and giant sunflowers. There is a row of bluelake green beans in front of the corn.

My cabbage measured at 56" across today...I think its been almost 2 weeks since the last measurment of 40" so I'd say I'm on track.

This 1 is for dinner tonight. This is 1 head of Seeds special Romaine lettuce. I put it on top of a 5 gal. bucket to show size referance.

Seed

RuralRoute420

here's the patch, note new watch wolf. haven't got my tomato stakes yet, soon. they are overgrowing the 24" chicken wire cages.

peppers are going good, just using reg miracle grow plant food, light doses, there are lilacs, bananabills, fatnsassy's

incredible sweet corn - bi colored, first year for this, turned out good sofar

snowstar peas in a pod, should've fenced them, might be able to on next crop this season, another first for me

RuralRoute420

PRUNING QUESTION ON TOMATOES

PRUNING QUESTION ON TOMATOES

THIS YEAR I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY PRUNING EVERYTHING BUT THE MAIN GROWING TIP WHILE STAKEING THEM UP TO 6' STAKES. THESE THINGS ARE TURNING INTO MONSTERS. HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP PINCHING THE SUCKERS OFF? I MEAN, WON'T THEY JUST KEEP GROWING?

MY GOAL WAS TO PLANT 12 NICE ONES, AND PRUNE THE SHIT OUTA THEM, AND LET THEM PUT ON SOME NICE BIG ONES - KIND OF LIKE GROWING MAIN COLAS, OR SO I THOUGHT. THEN SOMEONE TELLS ME I'LL HAVE MORE AND BIGGER TOMATOES VERSUS LETTING THEM GO....OR JUST SORTA PRUNING.

I'VE ALSO GOT SOME TYPE OF PESTS - THEY LOOK LIKE NATS JUST HANGING OUT ON THE LEAVES AND STEMS, BUT NOT HARMING THE PLANT THAT I CAN SEE.

GARDEN TALK - ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO?

Last edited:

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I had to trim the shit out of a few tomatoe plants. I got one that is a monster. I had this last year too. I didn't even buy tomatoe plants because a bunch just popped up from the seeds from last year. The big one must be from the seeds of the bigger one I had last year. This thing is like 4 feet tall already. It's wierd though because it's so big but there is only 3 tomatoes on it so far and bunch of flower sites. I was messing with my pepper plants yesterday and broke off a nice pepper that was already growing. I was pissed. I can't wait to throw some Lowryders in the garden in a few weeks.

RuralRoute420

as for my question, i was told to keep trimming of suckers, leaving main growing tip, while staking, but NOT trimming of preflowers. while switching over to something higher in P+K.

can i just use my bloom nutes from the closet?

G

Hi RR420,
There are many ways to prune a tomato plant depending on what you want from the plant. You can prune it for height ( world record soil grow is 38'). You can prune it for yield (over 700# on 4 plants WR) you can prune it for a large single fruit. (WR is about 7#)
If you just want a good plant to pick from , pick off the 3 small blooms that are in the bloom cluster. Leave the main growning tip alone. And you must stake. Tomatoes need N-P-K in equal amounts thru out the plants entire life...its a bit differant than pot or peppers.
Also, dont get the leaves wet...ever. Tomatoes have a high suseptibility to fungii which causea number of problems. They also need some calcium..this prevents blossom end rot.

Hope this helps,
Seed

G

Seeds overdue garden update-

My Craven 99 sunflower is FINALLY catching a gear, i think my hopes of a record are gone, but i am still shooting for 18'.

My tomatoes made a comeback.

Giant corn, beans,and banana peppers

Bell peppers, watermelon and pumpkins( just growing these so i can collect the male pollen)

sunflowers and corn

This one i feel good about...my giant cabbage.

I only do what i can with my back injury.
If it wasn't for my wife things wouldn't be getting done in this garden. Once again she has saved the day.

Seed

RuralRoute420

good looking garden, i'm reserving this spot for pics tomorrow. you have any peppers yet or maters? this banana bill strain of bell peppers seems to be a really fast producer....pics to come.

OK, here we are, got some sweet corn coming along and got my tomatoes staked finally, they needed it. those stakes are 6-7' tall. the snowstar peas are just getting ready to be picked, they are behind the 'maters:

pruning them made for some massive stalks, i let this one split into 3 growing shoots since it looked so good:

these brandywines are some massive plants now,,,,here's the top, if this tomato fills in, i think we might be talking 6-8lbs....humongous:

and the bell peppers, 3 different kinds, just recently switched from normal MG plant food to my BLOOM nutes 3-12-6:

how do you know if your onions are done yet or not, and are they supposed to be under or above ground, kinda like?

Last edited:
G

Seed's Garden Update.

Seed's Garden Update.

My Walla Walla onions going to flower.

My bitch next to my cabbage.

Grapes are forming.

Corn and sunflowers and my helper.

A standing back view.

Everything is growing and blooming like mad. The hoses never get shutoff----I don't even bother putting the lids back on the liquid ferts.
The fungicide is flowing, but only on the pumpkins---insects are out, bring on the battle of the bugs.

Seed

Latest posts

Latest posts