What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Veg LED lights. The future is obviously here so let's talk.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I run a Nextlight Mini (160w) in a 3x3 tent and its amazing.

-Funk

Nice looking light. Best I can tell it’s not a passive heatsink. How’s the noise level? Standing right outside your tent, can you hear the light?

Thanks.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The heart of any LED light needs to be of good quality. The chip converts electricity into light and affects the wavelength, so an otherwise good product that uses a poor quality chip is still not good. When making a purchase look for models that use at least 3 watt chips, anything less than that won`t provide the necessary luminosity.

Numerous articles on the web detailing specifics.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
The heart of any LED light needs to be of good quality. The chip converts electricity into light and affects the wavelength, so an otherwise good product that uses a poor quality chip is still not good. When making a purchase look for models that use at least 3 watt chips, anything less than that won`t provide the necessary luminosity.
I have to disagree with this 3 watt or better.

I am running Samsung 561c diodes at 0.3 watts with great results. As are many others here as well. This diode maxes out at 0.6 watts.

There are to many people with documented results with this diode to think other wise.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I tend to call the 300 watt output side light as having 1.1 watt diodes but the truth is stranger.
The diodes consist of 18 each .06 watt diodes in a tight pattern under a single lens. The photo shows the tiny dots under the lens which are the actual diodes. The overhead lights are 3 and 5 watt emitters with fan cooling. The side lights do not have the room for boxed fan internal cooling and allow the plant fans to blow through the LED frame.

If 800 umol of good spectrum light gets to the plant the source does not really matter, it will take more low power lights to reach the goal but as long as the goal is met all will grow fine.

Attachments

• Part of a 300 watt unit each emitter is 18 each .06 watt diodes.jpg
    Part of a 300 watt unit each emitter is 18 each .06 watt diodes.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 17

Chappi

Hey guys my 400w switchable ballast burned out yesterday so today I ordered an LED light from amazon with two CXB3590 and a meanwell driver. After so many years of using HIDS I’m finally making the switch.

So here’s my question. Has anyone tried using a light diffuser in order to be able to bring the light closer to the plants without burning?

Something like this
attachment.php

Solexx pannel that diffuses light evenly or maybe even just one of those covers used in old flourescent bathroom fixtures.

My problem is my tent is really short at about 5’ and I’m afraid I’ll bleach my plants.

Last edited:
G

Gr33nSanta

best money for your buds in my opinion, rapidled.com and timbergrowlights.com . Vero29's used to be best bang for your buck, I am not sure anymore, I do not have to stay up to date the lights I bought are good for 10-12 years. Id stay away from ''brand'' names, Id go with the semi DIY companies which are essentially plug and play.

Chappi

Thanks gs, I needed something asap so I just went with what little i know about led’s. 200 real watts and two cobs for what is a very small tent should be adequate. I don’t have time to build one now but I’ll def look into the reccomended sites when I do.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I have a 400w Vero 29 Gen 7 3000k light from Timber Grow Lights. It's incredible and extremely bright. Big heatsinks cool the COBs so all you need is air movement and scrubbing.

-Funk