What's new

Varnish insulation; generator windings

J

JackTheGrower

Lol true enough.

Don't get me wrong, microbe was very wise to post here. We get quality lurkers who know all kinds of stuff.

Wow.. Still funny... I like blending different kinds.. Adds qualities to a joint that the grind from separate individual plants can't do on their own.

Looking forward to the Earthworm season here.. ttyl MJ

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The animal probably only attacked the insulation on the surface. I don't know. But unless you see damage to the conductors like they were bit into or through, then the conductive/inductive properties of the windings are probably not affected.
If that is the case, then the windings can simply be left alone. If you apply something that is conductive like a solvent or paint, you may do more harm than good.
Use a good dielectric coating like Glyptol. But you must apply a very light coat so you don't throw the balance of the rotor off. Also, you must not contaminate the Glyptol with anything that may be conductive.
HTH
Burn1

maryjohn

Veteran
this forum is so full of surprises.

Burn, any other fields of expertise we need to know about? Like you can kill a man with your bare hands on one foot while holding your breath for 5 minutes?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL
No, but I did beat up Chuck Norris in elementary school. That's why he took those karate lessons.

Just kidding.

V

vonforne

This thread would get lots of hits in the DIY section. Should it not be there?

V

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dunno. Didn't even know there was a DIY section. I don't need anymore info anyway.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I honestly don't like giving electrical advise. I know how dangerous it is. I'm afraid someone would get hurt by taking my instruction without their knowing how to work with electricity.
Try posting your question in the growroom forum.
Burn1

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't need to post anything else anywhere because I now have my answer and have purchased the varnish (rated for windings). I discussed my repair plan with a rewind shop and they said 'Good plan'. FYI we have done all of our own wiring, including three homes, a shop, barn, pumphouse, greenhouse, 400 amp service routed underground to all locals. It has been functioning seamlessly since 1989 so I think we're okay. End of discussion? I can hope.

M

Mr-B

I have over 30 welding machines in my shop right now. Some are new, some are 30 years old. Some varnish has worn off, some has been rubbed off. None of them have short circuited nor has electricity jumped from the windings to something else.

It's a protective coating nothing more. It's exactly the same as the covers on your car battery posts. If you take a coat hanger and jump across both posts, something nasty is going to happpen.

I was always told that varnishing of electrical windings originated from electrical components on ships and docks where the salt air caused corrosion on bare lead and copper.

Some car alternators are varnished and some are not.
No matter, if you coat the winding with a floor varnish you will be fine. make sure it's dry before starting up the motor.
That's all there is too it.

Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts