What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Variegated leaves

N

noyd666

picture.php
two here r/h side. I believe I chopped one , and grew last one out.
picture.php

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No cannabis plant has ever tested positive for tobacco mosaic virus as far as I know. I pretty sure that is a myth.

Variegation and yellowing leaves from micro nutrient deficiency are two completely different things.

It can look similar to variegation though

image.jpg

variegated_plants.jpg

Variation in leaf color arises because of a lack of the green pigment chlorophyll in some of the plant cells. It isn’t an adaptation to the environment, but instead it is usually the result of a cell mutation, and can be inherited (genetic) or occur randomly (chimeric). If genetic, the color change is stable, which means that if you propagate a green shoot from a plant with colored leaves or sow its seed, the coloring will reappear in the new plant. This applies both to green leaves with irregular markings (variegation), say in white and yellow, and to those of a single solid color such as gold or purple.

A random mutation usually shows up as variegation. If you propagate from a green shoot or sow seed of the plant, the color will not recur. This kind of variegation is the most common, but is often difficult to stabilize. Propagation must be from variegated or colored shoots. In nature these forms usually die out, being weaker growers because of the lack of chlorophyll, which plants use to make the food they need for growth.

Variegation can also be the result of a viral infection, showing as discolored veins or leaf areas. This form of variegation is relatively rare, but it is stable. Lonicera japonica ‘Aureoreticulata’ has this type of variegation, with golden yellow veins netting the leaves.

- See more at: http://www.hortmag.com/weekly-tips/variegatedplants#sthash.DGOgfsVO.dpuf

Otto Flour

ICMag Donor
That is correct. TMV in cannabis is a myth that spread like a virus when one guy started a thread insisting that he had it and that it was infecting everything he had through his soil. He claimed that every chem cut had it and that it could pass on to the next generation through seed and that the world was going to end. He was telling people to throw all their plants out and to use some toxic chemical to clean everything with. He later admitted that he was wrong and actually had broad mites. The thread is so long that gets lost in it and the myth and hysteria perpetuates.

Some plants just show some variegation. Anything chem and anything blue can show some variegated leaves at some point. It is reported that at least with chem family it can be managed with cal/mag. The blue lines are so sensitive to nutes and ph so i wouldn't be surprised if they can be dialed in but it could also be a natural genetic mutation.

Z

zooty

For the first time yesterday I have a clone showing variegation signs a couple of nodes after rooting, usually it only happens in flower

1madtrapper

IDK they dont fancy me I like a nice green leaf that i can read and nurture they way it needs...When i see something like this even after i have read all about it the first thing i think is i woulda scraped that strain if i couldnt clear up its troubles...Even after i read all the info its just somehting burnt in my brain i guess but lets just say it had a lil burn here n there..Cheers

Q

quokka

I have a plant that had a variegated leaf (i think), one of the fingers was pale yellow, then the branch that grew from that node is all pale yellow.....

I wonder what will happen if i clone the pale yellow branch? Or even pollinate it?

I'm not sure if it's variegated, it just looks like an albino branch.