What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Variegated leaves

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anybody ever seen a variegated marijuana leaf before? This is a DJ Shorts F13 that i'm running this trip. I thought I'd wait and let this little baby grow a bit more thinking that it would disappear, but i had second thoughts and figured someone may have experienced this before and I wanted to hear about it. Sorry for the poor photography.

mariman

I've seen it in the sharon white widow clone, crazycompozer has a thread somewhere that shows it.......

If its keeper would be cool to see white/green buds :wave:

peace
M

I saw this before a few times from some photos on here, from what i remember the leaves had this trait but the buds itself look normal. The leaves had alot of white streaks and blotches on it, other than that it looked normal. I'd grow her out and see what happens, she could be a keeper.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Yeah, it's common with DJ's strains. My Flos have all showed some - whitish on the purple phenos and more yellow on the green phenos - I deleted the pics sadly. Just got some Grape Krush F2s growing out, and one or two of those have the yellow patches too...:)

is it possbile to get varigated leaves if the plant has been battling ph/lockout problems, or for the most part, is it solely, genetically related? Any chance the varigation is some kind of deficiency/under feeding due to the limited availablility of nutrients??

1madtrapper

It could also be caused by improper watering..not letting the soil dry out enough before you water it again.Many causes of blotched leaves but i would say ph and improper watering are the main cause.Cheers !

good point @1madtrapper...didnt think about that, but that makes sense too, at least in my case....lol flush was pretty heavy...I would almost bet that most times it is a flaw in the environment more times then a genetic trait...especially if it goes away....

igrowone

Veteran
i did a thread on this a while ago
some very fine looking variegated cannabis out there
also some odd looking, and just plain weird
genetics supposed to be the cause

WelderDan

Veteran
Pretty common in DJ's gear. It pops up about 1 out of 10 in some LUI x Blue Moonshine F2's I have. Saw it in the DJ Blueberry I ran too.

bigbag

Veteran
also common ( 30% ) in the Raskal's White Fire OG's I ran...didn't affect quality whatsoever ;)

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had a Bangi Haze that was variegated last year. As it got bigger it stopped producing variegated leaves.
Dubi said:
Variegation is a genetic anomaly, it's not a common trait but is more frequent in inbred lines like Bangi Haze.

HPIM0602.jpg

HPIM0601.jpg

HPIM0542.jpg

HPIM0544.jpg

bigbag

Veteran
not in my instance. check my run off on the regular...WiFi is the only strain that really exhibited this trait in my gardens

Z

zooty

I've got a delahaze pheno that does this, after some research I found threads saying it was tobacco mosaic virus and was worried as fuck

But it makes no difference to the harvest at all. Just not very aesthetic, but one thing I did seem to notice is that plants that do it seem to have weaker stems

It is definitely some kind of micro deficiency that causes it because the same clone will sometimes not throw out many variegated leaves but other times they will be all over.