What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

variegated cannabis

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have one Chem Sis x Neville haze that is variegated directly down the center of the Leaf Blade. Half is healthy and green, the other is healthy and yellow;) Kinda cool gene marker

I have a variegated plant that is also a haze, actually Super Silver Haze. I wonder if they are known for this trait. Here is a picture.

TGT

Halonium

If someone crazy enough would have the time and means, one could stabilize the variegative trait so that most of the progeny would also be variegated!

There are some peppers like this eg. "fish pepper" (google it if interested)

H

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I believe a highly variegated strain would be fairly unhealthy as it does not seem to convert sunlight to energy efficiently. Note on the picture I posted how the yellow half is smaller and almost shrunk. I believe this is due to a lack of chloraphil, although I could be wrong. Most plants do not need all the leaves they grow as proved by defoliation techniques, so really who knows? I guess it is possible to be healthy as long as enough leaves are forming normally.

TGT

Ouzo180

Had a Blue Moonshine clone that was variegated, didn't yield well either, perhaps due to lack of ability to photosythesize with the lowered amount of green pigment. My light use patients loved it, but it was a little too mellow and weak to get past the yeild issues IMO. Not sure if it was variegation related as I have never had a non-variegated pheno of BM.

Last edited:
B

BlueJayWay

Here's my variegated sour strawberry kush male, as it grew older the color contrast became more stark, including one side of all leaflets completely yellow, other half dark green.

Healthy vigorous plant, I took a cut of a variegated top and will maybe use its pollen.

unshady grove

Funny, I have 2 Beanhoarder mango haze f2 seedlings doing that same thing. It kinda makes me wonder.....
Frito, how did they come out?

MiMedGuy

Veteran
i have a Chemdog IBL that has variegated leaves...each one that is variegated has an almost 90 degree bend to it. not all leaves are that way...but is a tell tale sign in the garden.
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

T

tropicannayeah

I've grown out plants over the years with minor speckling of yellow and green, others had just one or two leaves that were half pale yellow and green, I had a plant a few years ago that had more variegation than I'd grown before, it had a several leaves that were yellowy green on one side and typical green on the other half of a few leaves, from memory it some had speckles of pale yellow and green on some leaves too.

That variegated plant was the result of a GN Zamal female crossed with several modern hybrid males. I have grown and made seeds more seeds from this line for ten years or whenever Gypsy first sold Zamal, but in the last few years I have started seeing more variegated plants from this line. I seeded one very Zamal leaning female last year with 4 or 5 males from the same line that had a lot more leaf variegation than the previous year, some of the seed bracts were also pale yellow.

I didn't notice any difference in potency between the pale yellow buds and the typical colored buds on the same plant..this female was a very long flowering plant and was the last finish..

I grow outdoors and unlike most growers can grow all year round and so I never select plants based on when they begin to flower or how long they flower for (or yield for that matter)..to me it's all about the high and keep the seeds from buds that I like smoking and grow them next year or whenever.

This year I grew a few plants from this variegated female x males from the same line and these plants (just 3 females of them in the bush in early flowering now, I culled all the males) have a great deal more variegated leaves than their mother, one is 90% pale yellow in color and the top 3.4 of the plant is 100% pale yellow (but alas I don't have any males growing this year, but I do have a tray of seedlings started for the Winter grow, so maybe I'll seed this blondie if I get around to it?).

But all 3 are small, slow growing, by the looks of them will be very long flowering and the high from the same line last year was just so-so...a nice typical tropical sativa high, but lacked potency. It will be interesting to see what the high is like, but if it is just ok like her mom, I don't think I will grow anymore of these even though they are pretty to look at...and a 100% pale yellow plant would be very stealthy to grow...these variegated plants are grown next to a rarely traveled walking track in a wild bush section of a park in the far out edges of yet to be built up suburbia, several other non variegated plants within a few steps of them were pulled up, mangled to shreds and left on the ground but the variegated plants were not touched.

Let's hope these 3 stay un-ripped and make it to maturity....and maybe the high will be that long lasting, trippy, out of body Zamal high that I like best? Lets hope so!

Last edited:
T

tropicannayeah

I don't know what causes a cannabis plant to be variegated, but it doesn't appear to be caused by a deficiency as suggested in this thread. I'd guess that it is the result of over crossing of hybrids which is known to result in mutants, runts and other gimpy effects ..and variegated leaves is one of them. Anyone actually know? please chime in.

chak-ra

Veteran
We had a White Jones (OJD's strain) that had 'albino' buds.

Very cool to see and very tasty afterwards.

The yield was about the same as the non-albino plant.

Buds were very very beautiful to see!

picture.php

picture.php

Cheers

:tiphat:

igrowone

Veteran
...and a 100% pale yellow plant would be very stealthy to grow...these variegated plants are grown next to a rarely traveled walking track in a wild bush section of a park in the far out edges of yet to be built up suburbia, several other non variegated plants within a few steps of them were pulled up, mangled to shreds and left on the ground but the variegated plants were not touched.

much interesting, those plants fooled somebody big time
i think stealth will be useful even if we cross into the time of 'legal' weed

T

tropicannayeah

We had a White Jones (OJD's strain) that had 'albino' buds.

yes, she was a beauty, did you keep her?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I believe a highly variegated strain would be fairly unhealthy as it does not seem to convert sunlight to energy efficiently. Note on the picture I posted how the yellow half is smaller and almost shrunk. I believe this is due to a lack of chloraphil, although I could be wrong. Most plants do not need all the leaves they grow as proved by defoliation techniques, so really who knows? I guess it is possible to be healthy as long as enough leaves are forming normally.

TGT

ive had that before on plants, i don't think its varigation in that case because generally the lighter parts look abnormal. whereas there are pics of healthy normal leaves which are white and green.

Latest posts

Latest posts