What's new

Variances within Malawi Gold?

C Qual

chemical make-up of a plant

chemical make-up of a plant

Thanks for the comments!
Yes, no munchies, quick onset of the high point to THCV. The variance of effects on different people can possibly be attributed among other things to different basal endocannabinoid factors in people.
I just threw the CBD and shade story out there to demonstrate that genetics doesn't rule completely. (that actually came from the most recent Shaughnessy's ...and I'm assuming F. Gardner had a good source).
Personally, I'd expect a variance of soil, temperature, light, insects, stress, feeding, curing to effect up to 30% of the final chemical make-up of a plant. Can one take seeds known to have high THCV and automatically expect that? ...without duplicating most of the soil and temperature, watering factors of that plant in its natural habitat? I actually read yesterday in a research paper that an acid environment would create more THCV.! :witch:

C Qual

precursor

precursor

Is THCV a precursor of THC.? IS CBDV a precursor to CBD? If it is, that might explain the lack of trichomes on Malawi.

burningfire

Veteran
Cannabidivarine (CBDV), also known as cannabidivarol, is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in low amounts in Cannabis sativa. It is an analog of cannabidiol (CBD), with the side-chain shortened by two CH2 groups. Under acidic conditions it isomerizes into the psychoactive cannabinoid tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV).

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
when/ how would be the best way to create the acidic conditions to initiate this isomerisazion?

amoril

Thats a question i cant answer, cause i cant look into your brain whats happening while you smoke a joint or what you smoke.Have you ever smoked any good Thai (homegrown) or Haze????

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

lol, I was mostly being sarcastic....my brain chemistry is rather unique, and Ive long ago written the lack of the munchies off due to this.

fwiw, I think I had it backwards, which only added to the confusion. I should have asserted that since I never get the munchies, THCV must be a predominant ingredient in all of cannabis...which its not, and as such bunks the whole thing.

but, alas, my sarcasm was a massive failure. Ill chalk that up to the intensity of the MK10 phenotype of Master Kaze I sampled for the first time last night....it was surprisingly powerful.

C Qual

Do you mean you got the munchies last night? Cuz I'm wondering what would happen if you got a taste of something with high THCV. It might give YOU the munchies.....?

So the acidic thing could be true after all! I'm assuming that it is soil ph. I'll bet that the most acidic soil is in Brazil. Is it the soil?

amoril

Do you mean you got the munchies last night? Cuz I'm wondering what would happen if you got a taste of something with high THCV. It might give YOU the munchies.....?

thats a question I too would like the answer to.

ive got strains all over the spectrum in the fridge. So, ideally, ive got some specimen of something high THCV. How i will know it if I find it, i dunno....maybe ill have severe munchies lmao.

edit - no, no munchies last night, but a soaring high. was a quick 3-day dry on a couple of tiny trash/waste buds of MK10, an 86 day phenotype I found in the master kaze. I found a couple of plants that tend to have a heavy haze influence, and its only a 25% haze hybrid on paper. But as I look back on last night, I was obliterated...straight trashed. It was incredible.

C Qual

Yeah, that's what I'm postulating, ..that when you get the munchies, you might be looking at a high THCV strain, since you seem to go the opposite. It could be some other factor too... That's a really cool painting, by the way that you have under your name, ... painting of the factories.
I put in a shout to Sam to see if he can answer how to get the most THCV outdoors from Afr-P Malawi Gold. I bet he'll say to duplicate Malawi climate and soil. That's my guess. Maybe their soil is acidic. I don;t think that it is from cobbing it and cow urine. Roger Pertwee is gettting high THC from Chitral and I doubt that he is peeing on it. We'll see if Sam has a good time for this idea.

amoril

avatar = album cover for Pink Floyd - Animals ;)

you may be right about the munchies, but it could also be something else. I do know that Id like to try something confirmed to be high THCV, just for the sake of finding out what in fact it does do, for me at least.

edit - ive already got APips Malawi 99, in hopes to find a manageable indoor expression of malawi's goodness. Im also probably going to get some gold, so that if I dont find what Im looking for, I can try to backcross and see if its in the next generation....

C Qual

Good luck with that 99.! I actually smoked some malawi that was a plant that was about 4 weeks old and never got more than 4 inches high and only about 6 leaves. It dried up and I picked it. I had the munchies late at night and decided to test and see if it took away my munchies and it did. I didn't eat a thing the rest of the night – and had no desire to. It was pretty amazing, because I really had the munchies bad, before I smoked it..!

C Qual

..and please excuse me for not mentioning to the person that inquired about the best place for Malawi seeds. If Ed Rosenthal is a good judge, I suppose that it is "Afro Pips." Ed covers them in Buds 2 and 3. Thats all know about it.

burningfire

Veteran
Cannabinoid production starts when an enzyme causes geranyl pyrophosphate and olivetolic acid to combine and form CBG. Next, CBG is independently converted to either CBD or CBC by two separate synthase enzymes. CBD is then enzymatically cyclized to THC. For the propyl homologues (THCV, CBDV and CBNV), there is a similar pathway that is based on CBGV.

CBC Might contribute to the pain killing properties of cannabis..

C Qual

That's good info. I'd be interested in reading that paper if you have the link handy!
Burningfire does you or anyone know how to control the direction of the conversion.?

amoril

Cannabinoid production starts when an enzyme causes geranyl pyrophosphate and olivetolic acid to combine and form CBG. Next, CBG is independently converted to either CBD or CBC by two separate synthase enzymes. CBD is then enzymatically cyclized to THC. For the propyl homologues (THCV, CBDV and CBNV), there is a similar pathway that is based on CBGV.

CBC Might contribute to the pain killing properties of cannabis..

for being so dead on elsewhere, you missed the mark here, slightly. CBGA is converted into CBCA, CBDA, and THCA. therefor, THC is derived directly from CBG, not CBD....

From the polyketide pathway, olivetolic acid is derived and from the DOXP/MEP pathway, geranyl diphosphate (GPP) is derived. Both are condensed by the prenylase geranyl diphosphate:eek:livetolate geranyltransferase (GOT) (Fellermeier and Zenk, 1998) to form cannabigerolic acid (CBGA), which is a common substrate for three oxydocyclases: Cannabidiolic acid synthase (Taura
1996), Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase (Taura et al ., 1995a) and Cannabichromenic acid synthase (Morimoto et al ., 1998), forming cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (Δ9-THCA) and cannabichromenic acid (CBCA), respectively (Morimoto et al ., 1999)."

taken from - Introduction to secondary metabolites in cannabis - Sanchez, Verpoorte, Leiden University in 2008.

edit - i cant unbreak the quote above for some reason. Its got me baffled. that damn MK10 is at it again :D

Last edited:

C Qual

I wish I knew how to use that paper. Its a good one, but I think that by the time I learned it, I'd be too old to lift a shovel. I'll hold onto it. I'll not even go there, other than just a gloss over. Thanks for it. I'll continue on the quest... I think that I'll do one in slightly acid soil, some in simulated Malawi environment and measure with the cannalyse test kit that I got and maybe cross one with Chitral,....Thanks so much for that paper.! Maybe some of the precursors are effected by environmental factors, which would affect the outcome of THCV.
It looks like it all starts with glucose. The more I look at fig. 15, ... It looks like photosynthesis might be a practical variable to effect... I wonder what Pertwee is doing to his plants, or is he manipulating them after they're done. I'd love to peek in there.

amoril

quick thought.

what if the propyl analogs (C3 - the CBGVA group) are an "early" defense mechanism in longer maturing strains?

the main difference is the Butyl CoA vs the Hexanyl CoA, and the reduced carbon chain is carried throughout.....so its originating through a less complex pathway, so to speak.

burningfire

Veteran
yes, I was just quoting the wiki, but the paper you linked seems to indicate that CBD production is independent of THC production but I seem to recall reading something that backed up the quote I pasted from wikipedia. I'll try and find it.

I've read that UV exposure has to do with thcv production but that could just be bullshit. since thc protects against uv-b

http://www.who.int/ceh/publications/en/map19b.jpg

C Qual

Amoril, I'm looking at fig 3 now and I'll do my best to see if I can follow your chem reactions of the "defense" system line of thought. I just googled one of the references(Shoyama et al 1975) from the same Sanchez, Verpoort, Phytochem Rev., 2008 that we are referring to and 4th on the google search list is Pate, D.W., 1994. Chemical ecology of Cannabis. It confirms burningfire's (Great map of UV light) UV idea, as well as the shared hereditary and environmental importance that I think we intuited or knew to begin with!

Latest posts

Latest posts