What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vaporizers?

C

curts1

Hi,

I´m an old stoner who´s getting back into smoking do to health issues ie chronic pain and osteoarthritis.

Back in the 70´s I smoked joints and hasch blended with tobacco. As I´m now older and wiser (and a non-tobacco smoker) I wonder if you could enlighten me on the use of vaporizers.

Peace,

C1

G

Being older also the vaporizer is a better way to smoke but, will be pricey and could be cumbersome.
I have flares of an arthritic condition and find making canna butter much better. I have a couple vaporizers and when I am in severe pain difficult to use them.

The vaporizers work by vaporizing the THC and not the other plant matter.

C

curts1

I´m looking forward to making cannabutter! I hear it´s really good for pain as the effect lasts longer.

I saw a vaporizer made of glass that you use with a lighter, sort of the same sort of contraption that we used to "smoke" oil out of. I´m thinking that it´s low tech and easy to use.

bek

Actually the low tech, low priced, glass pipe vaporizers are the hardest to use effectively. Some people are able to use the cheapies, like a Ubie, but it's easy to burn instead of vaporize. The pipe vaporizers generally considered to be fairly easy to use are the Vapor Genie and Vaporstar. They're both convection models, a step up from the all glass conduction jobs. They use filters to transfer the heat from your lighter. I like the Vaporstar in particular. It's basically a bowl and stem and you get a choice of glass pipes. The Micro Pipe makes for a nice portable.

C

curts1

The Vapostar etc sound like they are easy to use -I really don´t want to make this too complicated.

Thanks for the feedback!

B

bigbluntbob

Twig and Berrie said:
try someone's vape before you buy one, some people just don't like vaping.

I personally prefer it, though I only do oil anymore.

thats good advice. i could just never get into it. i think i got so used to the smoke that i have a mental block about the vapor. somewhere in the back of my brain there is the thought that says "you cant get high without smoke". while i know that is not a fact, its hard for me to get high from a vap.

i dont like the taste i get from a vaporizer either. some people prefer the vaporizer for taste but not me - its just too much for me...too perfumey.

MDBudz

it may also take you a little time to adjust to using/liking the vaporizor high. For the first few weeks of using mine, I really missed the whole ritual of taking bong hits and getting thick, rich smoke. The high is also different and can take getting used to. I've been using my SSV now almost exclusively for the past 6 months and wouldn't consider switching back. Still like the occassional joint, though, for walking trails in the woods.

Iheartbud

I have a box vaporizer system(with a digital temperature read out) with a custom bubbler made to connect to the whip rather than having a bowl. The bubbler allows you to see the vapor, and build it up in the pipe until you pull the carb rather than just the straight whip. I always felt like my throat would get irritated from using the straight whip so I decided to upgrade. Some people will tell you theres no need for water, but I think it makes it a whole lot better. Smoother, tastes amazing....I love vaping because it never really tastes bad, and you can tell very easily when it is.

If I were you I would go with the Silver Surfer Vaporizer or a box setup. I like being able to manage how much vapor I want rather than having a fan blowing hot air over the bud to get the vapor. Although it would be nice to have a volcano, it's just so expensive and the bag is only appealing for when you have a lot of people. I usually smoke with friends and use my vape as a personal piece. So the box/whip setup is perfect for a yourself. I have a few friends who will smoke midgrade and will bring a lot and vape through a bunch of it. I like using it with good nug and just ripping it a little, but it actually makes mids tolerable and I never smoke mids.

Heres a pretty cool vaporizer, a little expensive but it seems like a very nice vape...It's the Aromed. And they don't actually call it vaporizing, they call it Phyto-Inhalation. It has a different heating element that any other product available.

"The hot air is provided by an energy saving ultraviolet-free halogen light bulb that is controlled by a precise microprocessor." -- http://www.aromed.com/en/aromed.html

Check out the site to for pictures and a better explanation.

I'm high, sorry if I wrote a lot.

:smoweed: or vape it. or phyto inhale or w/e

C

curts1

More info, more mixed up! Just joking, thanks for all the views.

I´m not in a position to talk about my use (even less so as I´m dependent on my first grow to get me some herb this fall) so I can´t get in touch with other smokers.

In the 70´s I smoked for fun and R&R but now I´m trying to treat chronic pain do to ostheoarthritis. Tried it on a trip and it worked! I was almost without pain for two weeks but I´ve slipped back into tha same situation as I can´t get any weed where I liv.

Peace.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
well, different vapes work different ways.

after having tried about 10 different vapes from the old snow globe style ones with the soldering iron to the glass on glass convection of the vapolution to the volcano to the vapir air one 5.0

when weighing all the pros/cons the vapir comes out leaps and bounds ahead of others. it's pretty much a digital readout volcano that also does whips for $150 shipped. so awesome. the only drawback is the fan noise. the ONLY drawback.

i just picked mine up not too long ago and it has been getting a lot of use. i am a HUGE weed snob and it makes me happy. i alternate between this, a carbon filtered triple perc'd double diffused cyclone bong, and "el toro" which is a $600 triple bubbler hand(?) pipe that is seriously insane. imagine a piece that is 16 inches long and a good 7 inches tall with 3 super fat bubbler sections not to mention some superior glass workings. i only use that on holidaze... anyways, the reason i say this is that i have INCREDIBLY high standards and the vapir meets these standards!

VAPE FOR HEALTH!

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I vote Silver Surfer. Only other thing I'd buy would be a Volcano, and I don't know that I'd spend the money on one, I'm pretty happy with this.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
i looked into the silver surfer and i stand by the vapir air one 5.0. i keep saying the entire name because they still sell 4.0's and you DON'T want those. problems fixed in 5.0...

the silver surfer reminds me of the vapolution in many ways. for one, it is a whip only system. two, it has a rheostat/potentiometer temperature knob. three, it takes several minutes to heat up.

ok, vapir 5.0 is whip or bags. it has a supercharged heating element that gets it to temp in 30 seconds max. digital temperature readout and you can set it anywhere from 250-400 degrees (i set to 335-340) and it will maintain temp quite accurately. when using the whip you don't need to inhale with as much force as you would with silver surfer or a vapolution since there is a fan that forces the air through the vape. you are just there to "catch" the vapors... this fan of course is why the unit is noisy, but i have taken that with a grain of salt considering all the things it does for me.

the vapir also cost $100 less at 150 compared to the silver surfer at 250.

i will give the silver surfer these 2 advantages tho... quieter operation and it is more aesthetically pleasing sitting in front of you.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
i mentioned it but i forgot to say why its bad. the rheostat/pot temp knob... FAR less accurate for finding ideal temps! ALSO way to easy to "bake" the weed instead of "vaping" it. if your tube starts turning brown after awhile, guess what? you're baking!

used my vapir over 100 times now and still the tubing is 100% clear. this is at 335-340 degrees. when you start to "bake" the weed, you are taking away from the health benefits of vaping.

215 User

:dueling:

The Volcano is simply the best especially when you have the right sized bag(about 15-20 inches tall) @ 6.5 temp. I have had mine 5 years with no problems and use daily as long as you keep the hardware clean/bags changed 2-3 times a month for fresh flavor.It will fill the bag with SMOKE...

I didn't know alot of the strains true taste( Sour "D", GDP,O.G./Bubba Kushes) with out fire/paper and not all on your clothes or stinkin up your spot. Get a car adapter so you can plug in anywhere with nobody in yo bizzness.
:jump:

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
215 User said:
The Volcano is simply the best especially when you have the right sized bag(about 15-20 inches tall) @ 6.5 temp. I have had mine 5 years with no problems and use daily as long as you keep the hardware clean/bags changed 2-3 times a month for fresh flavor.It will fill the bag with SMOKE...

the volcano is a nice device. the real problem lies in the fact that the bitch is expensive, especially the digital readout volcanoes. as nice as it is, $300-$550 is alot to spend on an apparatus.

i hope you are referring to VAPORS, because a VAPORIZER should never produce SMOKE. smoke means it is too hot and that you are still getting toxins...

215 User

:joint:

When I refer to smoke, I mean more like a fine mist but you can see the heated product.......
:violin: