What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vanity light

So I went out and bought one of these

741797630_35fcbff7a4.jpg

and I want to make a grow box with 30 gal plastic tubs

I am no electrician so I need advice on how to wire this and mount it on one of the tubs. I plan to use 4x 42 cfls

breeder

use the hardware that came with it. Position the back plate where you want it, and mount it for reasurrance. Might be helpfull to use afew washers.
it should be pre-wired, so all your left with is 2 wire's and a ground. Grab yourself a cord from somewhere...(old vcr, lamp, what-ever), strip the ends and and use wirenuts to re-connect one of the black wires to one end, and the white to the other end of the cord.
Thats pretty much it in a nut shell.
run it from a surge protected outlet, or a powerstrip.
let us know if it works?

I needz help man

dscn0320dr7.jpg

dscn0321sh9.jpg

ok is that cord going to work? wtf are those things that I circled and what am I supposed to do with them? and what is that copper wire for?

Last edited:

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
that cords not ideal. your cord should have a ground. the little circle thing in the middle between the 2 prongs

cut those dealys off the end and attach black to black white to white
and that copper on the fixture is your ground

breeder

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough for ya bud. Hopefully Bong. cleared it up for ya. I was runnin short on time.

Cut off those two plastic things that are attached to the black and white wires? like please lets do a step by step and be as specific as possible please

AidenFox

Please try and take clearer pictures. ;) I can't look at that long enough to tell what's going on... need to see possibly the whole back of that vanity light.

breeder

u don't HAVE to have them, but it would be recommended. The only other possibility would be to twist the wires together, and then use some electrical tape. But i vote for the wire nuts.
I'm shocked that they didn't come with the hardware for that!
neway....Bongs. crude sketch pretty much sums it all up.
I didn't bother getting into the detail about the ground wire because i generaly disreguard them. But not always. If you have a 3 prong then go for it.

Wirenuts or tape, make sure that there is NO BARE WIRE showing... In a compact cab, things are going to get compressed. If the wires touch and things short out, you could have a nasty fire hazard. Be careful to ensure that no bares mires can come in contact with each other.

Be safe and good luck with your grow!

Excessive

It has the right hardware on it. Those connectors on it allow you to push the bare wire in and your done. It wont pull back out. If it does not feel secure you can cut it off and go buy some wire nuts. But why buy something if you don't have to.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
Excessive said:
It has the right hardware on it. Those connectors on it allow you to push the bare wire in and your done. It wont pull back out. If it does not feel secure you can cut it off and go buy some wire nuts. But why buy something if you don't have to.
hmmm. i couldnt tell what those things were. :redface:

pretty nifty if he didnt cut them off already :bashhead: