What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vancouver Island Burmese clone

jessethestoner

Does anyone know much about the background of the Burmese clone from Vancouver Island that was around in the early to later 90s? It seems to have been a cut that was used by a few breeders like the Vancouver Island Seed Company (VISC), Reeferman and Jordan of the islands.
Seems to have a sativa high on a indica build type plant. Some reports it can go 8-10 weeks, but a few of the reports i have seen about it from crosses suggest it takes mor like 10-12.

I messaged Jordan a few days ago and havent heard back. He did say this when i first got my Burmese seeds.
"Hey bud, not much I can tell you about the Burmese strain except that it was my absolute favorite strain back in the early 90's. Came to me as a clone only. I've made a few great crosses with it over the years..."

Description
Easy to grow, easy to clone. Very stable, we’ve kept the pure Burmese since the early nineties as well, VISC has used Burmese to breed some of the best Hybrids around. Burmese took first place in the Toker`s Bowl 2000. Don`t keep Burmese in the veg. state too long or possible height problems as the elongation during the flowering transition is impressive. For Sea-of-Green flip to bud as soon as the clones have roots. The smell is wonderfully amazing and very aromatic. One of the taller plants in your garden, exceptional results from a Flowering time of 8-10 weeks but many growers harvest after only 7 weeks for that early cerebral high. Indoors experienced growers can expect 2 to 4 ounce yields in a 2 Gallon pot indoors.

Flowering Time: 8 - 10 weeks
Yield: 110 - 140 grams
F4om seedfinder

Last edited:

Lolo94

Here is the thread that I started regarding the Burmese.

Coastal Seeds Burmese, Smuggler's Choice Burmese and High Biscus​

jessethestoner

Thanks, i checked those out. For some reason i thought coastal was working with more of a nld type burmese and not the seedline from reeferman.

Some good info, i also went on ig and asked a few people who were involved in the BC scene in the 90s.

Direwolf.og said "My understanding is the Burmese cut came to the island via the Kootenays in early nineties. Orinally spread around island via G from Vancouver Island Seed company. All the other places got it from G I believe."
"I have always wanted to try the original, only tried crosses and they didn’t seem representative as they weren’t sativa at all. My bet is majority of the “burmese” being circulatef in US these days is just descendant frim that clone"

So at least i got some more info, scarce as it is. Anyone have anybody they would suggest i contact?

bloyd

Veteran
The Burmese that visc worked is a great clear fast sativa with manageable structure and tight buds. I always liked vaping before yoga it gives a clean hyper-focused high. Loud terps, reminds me of a citric wet nap you get at a wings joint.

Lolo94

Interesting, What makes Burmese so special? I have an unopened freebie pack of Burmese Kush from TH Seeds.
I think what makes it so special is that it is easily controllable in a variety of environments, has a great taste and from what I've been told has great sativa qualities. If that's the case, it makes it a very valuable plant. Since its highly inbred, I think crossing it out to pure sativa to reinforce the sativa high would be beneficial, then back crossing back to the pure Burmese. When I grew, Coastals version, I was surprised at how little it stretched in flowering. I never got to fully finish it up, because it was overtaken by other more sativa plants in the grow area. I'm currently growing a Burmese x Malawi cross that has hardly stretched and flowered very quickly and looks identical to Coastals pure Burmese. The lack of stretch in the cross is somewhat puzzling, but I'll reserve judgment until the smoke test

jessethestoner

It's got a few interesting features that have attracted growers to it over the years.

its old, people have been saying early 90s is when it was first about. When it was popularized, there was only a few catalogues out there and all the hybrids it made were good and had an impact.

Smell wise, its very fruity and terpy, and this is from a period where the very flavourful cannabis we take for granted nowaday was more rare.

potency and high is good, I have not gotten much of a response from anyone who grew it who didnt mention the potency and really enjoyable sativa type high

it grows like a broadleaf hybrid, with very little stretch, so it packs a sativa type high on a indica body.

so it has a lot of good features

jessethestoner

Got this from the 2000 Mark Emery seed site. This is before widespread selfing, so it seems like a outcross and then backcross was used on the cut to get a seedline going

Mostly Sativa. Easy to grow, easy to clone. Very stable. Don't veg this mostly sativa too long or possible height problems. The smell is amazing and very aromatic. Used to be called "Mr Hightest" on the island. Height 1.6 meters Flowering time 8-10 weeks Yield 110 - 140 gr.

jessethestoner

So many different Burmese crosses lol.

Burmese
Burmese is easy to grow, with consistent results of top grade bud that pleasures all your senses. Her pungent aroma is instantly recognizable; her high is cerebral and immediate. Burmese has been a cornerstone of VISC for over fifteen years and was awarded BEST SATIVA at the 2005 Harvest Cup in Vancouver. Burmese has the extended bracketing between nodes expected in a pure Sativa. In a two gallon pot she will flower 6 to 8 weeks, one of the quickest finishing Sativa, with a yield of 80–120 grams / 3-4 ounces. Grows well indoors and out.

I have sent messages to some other old time B.C. growers and am awaiting more responses.

If anyone knows if "G" from VISC is online in any way, let me know please

Lolo94

Is there a consensus on whether Burmese from Reeferman is the same as VISC Burmese? The strain descriptions sound similar. From what I've read Coastal's Burmese is from Referman via Bodhi.

jessethestoner

Jordan responded today, let me know he doesn't remember anything about its provenance or anything. Just a great cut from the 90s he used. Did say if it was connected to visc or any other breeders.

The descriptions are pretty similar and he worked in the same area it came from, so he could have used it. I would be kinda surprised if it was unrelated

jessethestoner

He does, but it appears to be a more long flowering classic type. He mentions 16 weeks plus flowering.

Its the classic issue with these generalized place names. Northern Myanmar as it called now goes from being parallel to Yunnan province in China all the way to the southern tip of Cambodia and Southern India. So there would be a huge amount of variation depending on the place of origin.

Always more seeds to buy. I am going to grow out the ones from joti and go from there

Lolo94

I recently grew Coastal's Burmese x Malawi recently. It was a very easy strain to grow and was reminiscent of Coastal's pure Burmese phenotypically. To my surprise, the plants remained very small. The high was euphoric, non narcotic and taste was great (african-hybrid-grow.18129589/#post-18610934). I previously grew but never fully finished Coastal's Burmese (did produce some more seeds of it though), due to a poorly planned and executed breeding between the Burmese and Swazi.