What's new

Validated! On the Ballot in Fla in Nov 2014

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If this passes it doesn't change the fact that simple possession of as little as an ounce will remain a felony for those who are not "patients" right?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When most people think of Florida, they picture in their minds of the sunny beaches in the south-east part of the state, such as Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and even Daytona. But, many don't realize that south Florida is much different than north Florida, and is very different in not only the environmental aspect, but the political one as well.

Tallahassee governs the state, which is filled with conservative and religious groups, & special interests not necessarily to the benefit of the southern part of the state. Unfortunately, this complicates matters, especially in legislation getting passed when so many don't see eye-to-eye.

Florida is a very harsh state on the herb, (I don't dare grow), but recent events have brought some hope, even though in my honest opinion, this will probably be the last state to ever make it legal.

Central Florida is very different from Miami or Tallahassee. I was born and raised in Orlando. There's a big difference in opinions between the elderly retirees and the younger generations, but people are slowly changing their minds on this issue. I've seen older people just in my family change their minds in favor of legalization.

It sucks if this doesn't allow for growing at home. It's still a first step, a huge first step. This would mean my aunt with cancer and my aunt with MS could buy it legally. A future election could legalize growing at home once people see that marijuana isn't the dangerous drug they used to think it was.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If this passes it doesn't change the fact that simple possession of as little as an ounce will remain a felony for those who are not "patients" right?

Legal weed for medical use is a good first step. Decriminalization and full legalization will happen at some point. I'm just not sure if a constitutional amendment for full legalization would pass in Florida right now. Maybe in 2016.

From the wording, it looks like any adult can be a "patient" if they find the right doctor. That's a good thing. It's one step towards ending the prohibition laws for good.

MrGoodBudz

Veteran
Most of my immediate family lives in Florida. Including my soon to retire FHP father. All would like to enter into a joint venture with me for a dispensary and grow facility start in Florida. It will be interesting to see the proposed rules/regulations set forth if this passes vote in November. Go Florida and good luck!

MrGoodBudz

Veteran
I'm in Colorado and the dispensaries used to be able to buy meds from caregivers as California still does. For a few years now all dispensaries must produce their own meds in approved/licensed facities. Is this what it's looking like for Florida? IMHO it dropped the value hard in Colorado and started dispensary price wars. Totally screwing the market up for anyone producing in state.

thanks for clearing that up for me and I too question who operates the treatment centers.

it still has my vote but I will continue to grow my own and advocate for a patient right to cultivate their own cannabis.

peace

From my understanding, an initiative voted by the people cannot be vetoed by the governor. This is an amendment to the state constitution. It totally bypasses the legislature and the governor.

I'm in Colorado and the dispensaries used to be able to buy meds from caregivers as California still does. For a few years now all dispensaries must produce their own meds in approved/licensed facities. Is this what it's looking like for Florida? IMHO it dropped the value hard in Colorado and started dispensary price wars. Totally screwing the market up for anyone producing in state.

The report I saw indicated the dispensary had to grow 70% of the product themselves. No mention of not buying from a licensed caregiver. Thus where would they get the other 30%? The first couple of weeks the reports were the dispensaries were running out of product and price gouging (for recreational anyways).

This is sort of vague and probably just a thought by someone of where it will lead. Some valid points as well.

Questions And Answers About Medical Marijuana In Florida
Monday's Florida Supreme Court ruling puts medical marijuana on the November general election ballot. If the proposed constitutional amendment passes by at least 60 per cent of the vote, some details will have to be sorted out by state health officials before patients can legally obtain pot. Other details, however, are outlined in the proposed amendment. Here is what is known about how medical marijuana would work in Florida, as well as what remains to be seen.

Who could use medical marijuana?
A person would need a doctor's certificate stating that the patient has a debilitating condition that qualifies for medical marijuana. The Florida Department of Health would issue an identification card that would be shown at point of purchase. It would let law enforcement know the patient is allowed to possess marijuana or related derivatives within amounts set by law.

What medical conditions would qualify?
Specific diseases or other "debilitating" conditions for which the doctor thinks benefits of use would outweigh risk. Specific diseases are: Cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, ALS, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease and Crohn's Disease.

How much marijuana could a patient possess?
That will be determined by the Department of Health, based on what is "reasonably presumed to be an adequate supply.'' Patients who think they need more could appeal. Besides smokable marijuana, oil, tinctures and cannabis-laced food products would be allowed.

How would a patient fill a prescription?
There will be no prescriptions because marijuana is not an FDA approved medicine with controlled doses. It would be more like an over-thecounter herb, available only to people with an I.D. card.

Where would medical marijuana be sold?
Only at state licensed dispensaries called "Medical Treatment Centers." Treatment centers would also grow or acquire the product and any growers would have to be licensed as a treatment center. The Department of Health would issue rules about how many dispensaries would be allowed and how they would be monitored. Patients could not legally grow their own pot.

Will the marijuana be taxed?
The amendment does not spell out special taxation provisions. Presumably, sales tax would apply and dispensaries may be subject to a licensing fee. The Legislature could create a special tax, as with liquor, cigarettes and gasoline.

What if the Department of Health writes regulations so restrictive that usage is effectively banned?
The amendment says the department must issue "timely" and "reasonable" rules that "ensure the availability and safe use of medical marijuana by qualifying patients.'" If the regulations are too restrictive, United for Care or others could sue.​

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone read the ballot? Is growing your own "allowed"?

hereigrow

The no grow part is horrible, but at the same time it keeps Florida seperate from other states the opposition compares the idea of mmj too, like cali. They use the example of cali and how people exploit the mmj growing for profits giving it a bad rep....I think with no grow at least for now it keeps the amendmant more sincere therefore a better chance of seeing the light of day....

If that all makes sense for some reason I had a hard time conveying my point. Sry but there it is.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would vote no if its a no grow bill when the time comes to vote. Get the writer of the bill to change it if possible.

It's too late to change it now. If it gets voted down in November, that means Florida will be stuck with their backwards prohibition laws for another 2 years at least. They'll keep sending patients to prison for at least another 2 years.

I'd vote yes if I could, then work for a ballot measure legalizing personal grows in 2016. I don't live there anymore, so I can't vote on it either way.

im moving this summer from miami to a MMJ state but if this passes i will come back to my home in miami. very interested to see how things play out.

Asslover

Veteran
Just wanted to chime in on something...
Growing MJ is my hobby and my passion. No dispensary could ever match the quality that comes out of my garden, or the gardens of most growers I know.
This bill is not about us growers, it is about people like Cathy Jordan; people who CAN'T grow.
What this bill does do is make MJ more legitimate here in a state that is the laughing stock of the political world. And lets others benefit from walking into a dispensary and purchasing their much needed meds.
I will grow my own FOREVER. Hell, i grow my own veggies even though theirs a WinnDixie and Publix within a mile.
I ask the growers down here to keep on growing that amazing Florida dank, but please vote YES so that the Cathy Jordans of Florida can FINALLY find relief.
No matter how illegal, no matter what punishment awaits, I will NEVER stop growing.
Let's put Florida on the MMJ map already!!!!!

Asslover

Veteran
I'd vote yes if I could, then work for a ballot measure legalizing personal grows in 2016.

If Charlie Christ gets voted back as Governor it is very likely that we won't have to wait for 2016 for any more forward changes.
J.Morgan + Christ = Marijuana reform